Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 1911

Iggy42

Since I am in the market for a commander 1911 I was wondering if anyone has any experiences with on the the scandium framed 1911s S&W makes. Namely the 4" model with the round butt. It is one of their e-series guns and since I have not really heard much about Smith and Wesson 1911s I figured I would ask you all and see if there was a reason why.

The commander scandiums have a habit of ejecting the case straight into your forehead if you don't use a strong grip. It can be fixed with a little tuning, but I have yet to see a factory one that did not do this. Overall they seem to be nice guns.

Buy with confidence! I have 2 full size S&W 1911's and a scandium commander that are fantastic shooters and have been 100% reliable. For the guy getting the brass back in the head, that is an ejector tuning issue.

I'll never buy anything made by Smith & Wesson.

:sight:

I don't know why, but I laughed when I read this :roflol:

Well....there is a story or two behind this statement.

Well since I have not made my purchase yet I would love to hear it

I have a scandium "Gunsite" commander. It has been 100% reliable with ball, hollowpoints and my LSWC reloads. It's accurate and carries well. What's NOT to like? B)

I had one of these for a while too and it ran great. I only sold it because I never carried it so I had no reason to have the lightweight gun. I now have a stainless full size set up for single stack. The only downside of the SW1911s is oddball proprietary sight cuts. Hopefully with the popularity of the E series sight availability will get better.

• 1 month later...

This is my SW1911PD. I use it as my california gun when I drive into california to shoot the IRC. I do use is once a month at a local where we set up and shoot a stage with our actual carry guns with the way you actually carry the gun, (ie, fanny pack, purse, real concelment holster, etc) this isn't a USPSA/IPSC affeliated club. My 1911 has run with no problems. I don't have any experience with a bobbed grip. not sure if I would like change when I use to a full grip

20111114184921717.jpg

Edited by JohnRodriguez

I have a 1911PD that I have carried a lot over the past 1 1/2 years.

Until I purchased my Ed Brown, it was the only 1911 I had ever purchased that didn't need a little tuning, particularly on the trigger.

As mentioned in an earlier post, this pistol has the habit of tossing a case back on to the brim of my cap sometimes, but that only happens about once every 20 to 25 rounds.

So far I have had ZERO malfunctions with the pistol, and have shot hand loads, factory ammo, hard cast, jacketed, RN, TC, and HP ammo in it. I have used the factory S&W magazines and Wilson 47D and Chip McCormick Power Mags. Runs with all the combinations. Plenty accurate, as well.

I found that these pistols have proprietary sight cuts in the slide, and the only night sights I have been able to find for it are made by Novak, which are not my first choice, but are entirely serviceable.

Also, the finish on this pistol is showing wear a bit sooner than I expected. At some point in the near future I intend to send it to KS Customs in AZ for installation of the aforementioned night sights and a refinsih with TAF-1.

This is a good, solid pistol of a reasonably light weight in a major caliber and fits my needs for a daily carry weapon. I also like the fact that it has the 4 1/4" barrel instead of the 4" barrel found in so many "Commander" style pistols today.

YMMV

Ken

I have one and took it to the range at work and put about 200 rounds through it with both duty ammo and hardball. The gun has less recoil than I expected with such a light pistol. I have the Scadium commander and the full size tactical rail model and they are above what you would expect with Smith & Wesson. They are both very hard to get your hands on at this time as well.