Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finding NRA Action Pistol matches.

g.willikers

It's easy to find USPSA and IDPA club listings at their respective web sites.

But not so easy to find AP match clubs.

The NRA Shooting Sports magazine has a few, but that can't be the entire list of such clubs.

Is there a place, as yet unknown to me, that lists them?

I'm in Florida, but lots of others around the country might want to know, too.

Edited by g.willikers

What is listed is pretty much it. SS lists approved and registered matches. There are a few clubs out there that have them but they are not NRA approved so the only way to find them is by looking at individual club websites. It also takes 3 months to get matches listed in SS.

The only reliable way to find a club schedule is to contact the person listed in SS. They can then add you to their email list when they send out the schedule for next year.

Tallahassee is the only club that I know of in FL that has them. The closest from there is McComb, MS.

Well, that's not good news.

No wonder the game has lost its popularity.

Can't shoot 'em if ya can't find 'em.

Too bad, as this style of match would probably find a decent audience, as we all get older and less able to run around so good.

Well, there's always the Steel Challenge matches.

If I can find some.

I wouldn't say that it's not popular. It all depends where you live. Within a 2.5 hour drive I can be at 5 A/P matches. I shoot 14 registered (regional and state) matches a year along with more monthly matches than I care to count. Bedford, VA has one of the finest ranges in the country. They have turning targets along with a 4 rail mover.

As far as USPSA matches go, there are only 2 ranges within 3 hours. IDPA is also 3 hours. Steel Challenge is unheard of except for Northern VA which is 5 hours.

As far as big Steel Challenge matches you are in the right spot. Titusville for the Steel Nats. and now Frostproof for the World match.

You also have another alternative and that is to start an A/P match at your local range. It doesn't take much to get started. A plate rack, a barricade and some target stands and you're ready to go. You don't need a mover to start out.

Thanks for the information.

So far, no luck in finding either AP or Steel club matches in our vicinity.

The two biggies for Steel aren't too far, two to three hours drive, but the entry fees are too rich.

Coupled with the multiple days of personal expenses per each match, they just aren't in the cards.

A club match would be more my speed.

As to running an AP match somewhere, been there, done that, and getting too old and lazy to start one from scratch.

Oh well, there's no shortage of uspsa games.

Could be worse.

Thanks again for the replies.