Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pirates of Texas Carbine Championship

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes... Don't know if it will be tonight but they will have them up soon.

Our good friend, Merlin, is correct, we apologize for the scores SNAFU and we PROMISE to have the correct data up by dinner time or thereabouts on Monday. Truth is, Maytag and I would have done it tonight BUT, we had a little post-match wind down at the house and we were both too exhausted (and too wasted on single malt scotch and brewskies,) to fix the scores tonight.

We will also put up an appropriate (and sober,) post-match post tomorrow (or at least no later than Tuesday).

Again, our apologies for the scores problem but I take FULL responsibility for same and you have my word that we'll get them right. Those of you who have attended our monthly matches know how much pride we take in getting our scores out early and accurately and you can count on that same attention to detail by tomorrow evening.

Thanks to everyone who attended, (we mean that from the bottom of our hearts,) and we hope our months (and Lord knows how many hours,) of match prep hard work showed today.

Sincerely,

Ok well we just got home to Southeastern La. at around 3am and before I go to sleep I just wanted to say. Thanks for a great match I reallly had a great time and met some great new people so to all the staff and people that made this match possible THANKS !!!!! As far as the scores I have seen pistol matches that have been run for years messed up way worse than today y'all did a awesome job with this being the first match run by this club the stages were fun and challenging and the match ran very smooth in my opinion so I guess the last thing I have to say is see y'all next year cause this La boy will be back and hopefully bringing a few of his friends with him

Really enjoyed the match - interesting stages and some very pleasant, helpful ROs. I had the impression that the event ran on, or ahead of, schedule and the group I was with finished shooting at around 1500. I also learned a valuable lesson about shooting through barrels at odd angles at the cost of 17.5 seconds in penalties.

Open squadding seemed to work well for the most part. By "shopping around" which stage to shoot, we never had to wait more than 30 minutes or so. The only drawback I saw was that the absence of dedicated squads led to less sense of "team", and taping/reset help was sometimes lacking.

Lunch was better than expected - a variety of subway sandwiches, chips, cookie, and a drink. My group left prior to the prize drawing, so can only assume this was as well-run as everything else.

A big thanks to Maytag, Nightmare, and the rest of the ROs and support crew!! I'd gladly make the 5 hour drive again to shoot this match.

:cheers:

The first Pirates of Texas Carbine Championship is history and considering it was our first outing, not to mention the confusion with the other guys' match, it was still a huge success. We had 88 shooters with 12 of them shooting two guns which brings our match total to 100.

Unfortunately, we did have a scores issue and today, after spending more than a few hours trying to figure out what went wrong with the scores, Nightmare finally found the problem but, when corrected, several of the scores had changed. So, rather than take a chance that there were no other errors, he and his lovely wife took the time to sort the score sheets in alphabetical order and then he double-checked all the scores. Along the way, a few math and entry errors were found which caused the order of finish to be different for some of the classes than we stated after the match.

Due to the corrected order of finish in each Division, some awards were given out to the wrong people and we hope to correct this but to do that, we have to retrieve the original posted scores from the range so we'll do that tomorrow and get the corrected list out as soon as we can. Once we do, we will ensure that the corrected winners receive their trophies.

We sincerely apologize for the long delay due to the scores problem and rest assured, we will be better prepared for this type of problem at future Pirates matches.

The class act award, (if we had one,) would be shared by Chris McGowan and Jerry Miculek. Chris ran afoul of a rule that conflicted with a rule in another shooting sport he participates in and suffered a match DQ on his last stage. Chris stayed at the range and was one of the many who busted their hump to help tear down the stages and stow the props. And even though Jerry Miculek is a world-famous shooter, he was always the first to grab a string of pasters and jumped in with the rest of us to help tear down and stow the gear. Definitely first-class individuals, our hats are off to you two.

We experienced another first during this match with the visit from the folks at the American Trigger Sports Network who came down from Houston to spend the day filming and interviewing the staff and a large number of shooters. All five members of the ATSN crew were extremely friendly, gracious, and clearly wanted to promote the broad subject of all the shooting sports. We thoroughly enjoyed talking with them and Nightmare even got a ride in the helicopter! So, if you were one of those who was filmed or interviewed and are wondering when you might get to see yourself on television, you can keep an eye on their website at atsn.tv and we will also put a post on the Texas Carbine website when they let us know the date of the program. We certainly appreciated their visit and were especially grateful for their help promoting Texas Carbine.

Even though we had a few hiccups during the day, virtually every member of the staff relayed to Nightmare and I that they had all received compliment after compliment from the shooters. So, we must have done a few things right as well and we are obviously very happy to receive such glowing comments.

Finally, we want to again thank each and every one of our volunteer staff members for the time and hard work they gave to this match and of course, thanks to all those who took a chance on our fledgling club and signed up to shoot the first Pirates of Texas Carbine Championship.

Sincerely,

Maytag, Nightmare & Spider

Edited by Texas Carbine

Just want to say thanks again for a great match. Nightmare and Maytag worked very hard along with their staff to make this a fun and challenging match. Some of my takeaways:

1. Jamie not only shoots very well he works hard at helping out. He was on me more than once about taping and i appreciate that.

2. JK has worked hard at getting better and that work is paying off. Well done my friend...

3. There are a lot of good carbine tacticians in our great state

4. There are a lot of great people that play this game.

5. There is a lot of dedicated volunteers behind the seen that make this game work.

6. I am getting old and slow but get spanked by guys older than me on a regular basis... so there is some hope.

7. And last, i love to see the young guns coming up in our sport and believe me there are some good ones. Stephen, Cheston, Trip, Derek and others keep working ... you guys got the gift

Peace

First, thanks Cliff for the compliments and in-depth debrief, I second your emotion on always being amazed at how well some folks, regardless of age, can shoot.

Second, it has taken a few days to go through the nearly 2000 photos shot by our photographers but I finally culled the list down do a manageable number. Then, each of those got a little Photoshop treatment and finally, they were put into a Web gallery which can be viewed via the link below.

Pirates of Texas Carbine Championship Photos

The American Trigger Sports Network folks have already posted our match on their website and they took quite a few photos themselves. Those images and captions can be seen in the "Pirates of Texas" section on their site's main page, <click here>. (Scroll down until you see the "Pirates" header.) We will also put a post here when we learn the date that the ATSN film footage of the match will be available on The Pursuit Channel (DirecTV Channel 608).

We hope everyone enjoys the photos and although we always try to get shots of as many folks as we can, it's impossible to get everyone in front of the lens so if we missed getting one of you, please accept our apologies.

First, thanks Cliff for the compliments and in-depth debrief, I second your emotion on always being amazed at how well some folks, regardless of age, can shoot.

Second, it has taken a few days to go through the nearly 2000 photos shot by our photographers but I finally culled the list down do a manageable number. Then, each of those got a little Photoshop treatment and finally, they were put into a Web gallery which can be viewed via the link below.

Pirates of Texas Carbine Championship Photos

The American Trigger Sports Network folks have already posted our match on their website and they took quite a few photos themselves. Those images and captions can be seen in the "Pirates of Texas" section on their site's main page, <click here>. (Scroll down until you see the "Pirates" header.) We will also put a post here when we learn the date that the ATSN film footage of the match will be available on The Pursuit Channel (DirecTV Channel 608).

We hope everyone enjoys the photos and although we always try to get shots of as many folks as we can, it's impossible to get everyone in front of the lens so if we missed getting one of you, please accept our apologies.

Great photos just a reminder how much fun it was

Thanks, Rick..it was a lot of fun despite all the work and, a number of people emailed us this week or, posted comments on our club forum so thought I'd pass a few of those along, too.

"Great match! Thank you all for the hard work and putting it on! Thoroughly enjoyed it!"

"I also will say GREAT match. THANKS to all the ROs, Helpers and people that help with putting on and running the match. I shot two guns today and the stages were running well and I only had one stage where they had to come and look for me. Also thanks to Mike and KB for all their HARD work."

"Thanks for the great match! The stages moved fast and were challenging. It was great to see everyone again. The stage RO's, the props/set up, and the directors were all impressive. We are glad we were able to make it and left looking forward to the next one."

"This group of guys put on one of the best matches i have ever attended. What was so impressive to me was the SOs patience and how well they kept the thing moving. Nightmare and Maytag's leadership style was present at each stage. They remembered this is a game and you are supposed to have fun and they did their best to make that happen. I like matches where safety comes first and fun rules. They pulled this off. I know these guys gave it their best and it showed...bravo"

"Ohh thaaaaaaank you for hosting the carbine match. The stages were great! I gotta be honest. I attended both carbine matches and in my opinion, this match was way better. I like this one better not because of the awesome weather but because this was more of a pure shooting game. No "BS" stages like hidden targets, "who was the most flexible stage". I have suggestion for you guys. If you have the energy, maybe you can host the Pirate's match twice a year!"

"Just wanted to thank you and your crew for the warm hospitality and welcome. We enjoyed the shoot and found it to be very professional. All of the shooters were very happy to be a part of the whole event. We look forward to bringing more of your shoots to our viewers in the future. Again, many thanks."

Rose-Marie

Producer

American Trigger Sports Network Television

Edited by Texas Carbine

• 1 month later...

Thanks for mailing me my Trophies. I had to get back to San Antonio after I shot

Thanks again

Jamie Foote

+1 Got my plaque in the mail yesterday also. Very cool for them to take the time to do that. Great match - I'll also second the recommendation for hosting this match twice a year.

• 1 month later...

We had as many of the Pirates staff that could make it over tonight for pizza, beer, some great salad thanks to my wife, and a TON of snacks and killer deserts. I think everyone enjoyed themselves and after the chow, we all gathered around to watch the American Trigger Sports Live piece on our match. We all thought it was very well done, great camera work, music, and editing. Plus, both Benny and Ty got quite a bit of air time and both had a couple pretty darn funny comments during their interviews.

If you don't get a chance to catch it on TV, I'll be posting a video of it on both of our websites as soon as I get a copy from the ATSN folks.

• 1 month later...

Just received an email from the Producer at ATSN.TV letting me know that the Pirates match piece they did for us is now available on their YouTube Channel. We think the ATSN folks did a REALLY good job with the production and while we are probably a wee bit biased, :D we think that those who have not seen it yet will enjoy the show. They also gave us a great intro to the video:

Host James B. Towle takes us through the stages at this outstanding carbine event. KB "Nightmare" and "Maytag", the event organizers, did a bang up job. Every stage was carefully "dressed" with the Pirates theme, the signage and program were 1st class and even the big guns like Jerry Miculek were challenged. Don't miss this exciting event. We look forward to next years' competition as I am sure "Nightmare" and "Maytag" will have another great shoot for you at the Starry Range in Corpus Christi, TX.

Two of our local shooters, Benny and Ty, had some pretty humorous comments during their interviews with James Towle, too.

So if you were unable to catch the original broadcast on TV, head on over to the link below and see for yourself. We'd also appreciate any comments you might like to add as well as the simple Thumbs Up or Down provided by YouTube.

• 2 weeks later...