Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2012 IRC

Another IRC in the books. Twasn't the same without Bubber.

Every IRC is different. This year's almost did not happen. Art Leach stepped in at the last moment to take on the match. This was a factor in the match being so straight forword. It's alot of work. I went by to get results Sat night, only to see the stat guys leaving completly drained. This group is weary. It may be time for the next club to step up. Hey, it may be your chance to get rid of Far and Near!

This was again Jerry's year. In one of his acceptance speaches, he alluded to some controversy on one of the stages. As I understand it, Jerry's gun went click, click, click, after the buzzer. Broken firing pin. Apparently, ICORE rules are vague in this reguard. Match staff were gathered as were the two men most affected. GM's Neil Houge and Rich Wolfe were in hot persuit of the win, but neither would take a win in this manner. Jerry completed the stage, went on to win the match, and posted a run of consecutive championships likly never to be equaled. Just as it should be.

Richard

Didn't realize ICORE had Mulligans for after the buzzer competitor equipment failure?

They do.

In the rule book ,

Section 8

Reshoots are mandatory under the following circumstances:

4. When the Range Officer and Match Director concur on special circumstances for granting a reshoot.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every IRC is different. This year's almost did not happen. Art Leach stepped in at the last moment to take on the match. This was a factor in the match being so straight forword. It's alot of work. I went by to get results Sat night, only to see the stat guys leaving completly drained. This group is weary. It may be time for the next club to step up. Hey, it may be your chance to get rid of Far and Near!

This was again Jerry's year. In one of his acceptance speaches, he alluded to some controversy on one of the stages. As I understand it, Jerry's gun went click, click, click, after the buzzer. Broken firing pin. Apparently, ICORE rules are vague in this reguard. Match staff were gathered as were the two men most affected. GM's Neil Houge and Rich Wolfe were in hot persuit of the win, but neither would take a win in this manner. Jerry completed the stage, went on to win the match, and posted a run of consecutive championships likly never to be equaled. Just as it should be.

Richard

Didn't realize ICORE had Mulligans for after the buzzer competitor equipment failure?

They do.

In the rule book ,

Section 8

4. When the Range Officer and Match Director concur on special circumstances for granting a reshoot.

As I heard the story FWIW, it didn't break in the middle of a stage it was broken before a shot was fired. With no time to record it was as if he didn't start the stage. If asked, I would have voted for the reshoot.

Edited by TMC

Much thanks, kudos and gratitude to Art Leach, the ROs and the entire staff of this years IRC for stepping up and pulling it off! It was my first IRC and hopefully not my last. Can't wait to hear where and when it will be next year!

Edited by Dogged

Richard

They do.

In the rule book ,

Section 8

As I heard the story FWIW, it didn't break in the middle of a stage it was broken before a shot was fired. With no time to record it was as if he didn't start the stage. If asked, I would have voted for the reshoot.

The rules are not vague on this issue--it's right there, just as plain as day:

10. If at anytime a competitor is unable to finish a stage or string because of the competitor's equipment failure (i.e. barrel blockage, firearm breakage, etc.), the competitor will be scored his time and hits for the course of fire until the breakage, and awarded ALL penalties for misses, failures to engage, and any other procedural penalties appropriate to the stage or string.

Mike.... stop with all that fancy lawyer talk :)

[/quote

I agree with Mike on this issue, and there is IRC precedence for a different outcome of this decision.

In 2002, at my first ever IRC the best standard division shooter at that time(most likely to win) by the name of Jason Pettitt had exactly the same malfunction at the start of a stage. It sounds like this "BEEP" click, click click... The RO allowed him to fix the problem (broken firing pin, sound familiar?) and shoot the stage again from the start. Someone put down the $100 arbitration fee and challenged the RO decision to allow him to reshoot the stage. The committee ruled that he had been allowed an illegal reshoot under the rule that Mike cited and his time was changed to the original time 0 seconds + all penalties. Note the first stage time of 370.00. If we give him an average time for master class, (his classification) that year of 68 seconds he would have placed first by over 30 seconds.

116 Pettitt, Jason S M 21 370.00 25.44 31.56 32.56 14.21 30.73 29.82 12.66 567.98

The rules are the rules and they should apply to all shooters equally.

"I agree with Mike on this issue, and there is IRC precedence for a different outcome of this decision.

In 2002, at my first ever IRC the best standard division shooter at that time(most likely to win) by the name of Jason Pettitt had exactly the same malfunction at the start of a stage. It sounds like this "BEEP" click, click click... The RO allowed him to fix the problem (broken firing pin, sound familiar?) and shoot the stage again from the start. Someone put down the $100 arbitration fee and challenged the RO decision to allow him to reshoot the stage. The committee ruled that he had been allowed an illegal reshoot under the rule that Mike cited and his time was changed to the original time 0 seconds + all penalties. Note the first stage time of 370.00. If we give him an average time for master class, (his classification) that year of 68 seconds he would have placed first by over 30 seconds.

116 Pettitt, Jason S M 21 370.00 25.44 31.56 32.56 14.21 30.73 29.82 12.66 567.98

The rules are the rules and they should apply to all shooters equally."

Amen. Jerry the Champion is a wonderful narrative for our sport. But it diminishes him not to have the rules applied to him just like anyone else. We have seen in the past where he obviously faulted during the shoot offs and given a pass. My first IRC I was walking the stages and heard shooting from Far and Near. I was told that Jerry and a couple of others were "sighting in". Having no access to a 50 yard line myself I asked if I could "sight in" and was told no.

It should be a fair table. Jerry M is good enough to play that way and his record speaks for itself without help.

Edited by underlug