Best cast lead .45 bullets?

Pro2AInPA

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I tried the Missouri bullets and was NOT impressed. I ended up with a palm full of lube from the bottom of the box that was not in the bullet grooves where it should have been and from a lot of places where it shouldn't have been.

• 1 month later...

I tried the Missouri bullets and was NOT impressed. I ended up with a palm full of lube from the bottom of the box that was not in the bullet grooves where it should have been and from a lot of places where it shouldn't have been.

same experience here. Sometimes i get a different caliber bullet which is scary

I've been using the "soft" 200gr SWC's from mastercastbullets.com, minimal leading and a consistent bullet.

In .38, my best results were with the Dardas H&G wadcutter (NOT the DEWC design.)

Penn makes a good bullet too. The lube is a bit softer and doesn't fall out of the groove.

There was a local caster selling his stuff at the LGS but his bullets measured anywhere from .452" to .448" ON THE SAME BULLET! Not good.

Are those current prices?

I know his website is out of date and in the process of being redone.

I have bought several cases from Donnie this year in multiple calibers and I paid $95 for 200's and $105 for 230's + shipping.

Greg

Email from Donnie in October.

9MM/.38 Super

124 RN $69

135 RN $70

147 FP $75

160 RN $85

.38/.357

Same as above plus,

158 SWC $85

139 BNWC Flat base $73

.40 cal:

140 TC $77

180 TC $90

155 RN $85

200 RN $95

.45 ACP:

200 SWC $95

200 RN $95

230 RN $105

.41 Mag:

215 SWC $105

.44 Mag/Special

245 SWC $115

Shipping/Insurance $15 per flat rate box. I can get about 65 lbs. in a box.

Check, Money Order or Credit Cards welcome (Visa, Master Card, Discover only)

10,000 + deduct 5%

Thanks

Donnie Miculek

225 324 4501

I shoot moly bullets. They're not that much more expensive, if any, than cast bullets, and they are far less expensive than jacketed.

What do you pay for moly? I can get 2K lead 200 gr SWC for $172.15 delivered.

Bayou Bullets are $205.

When you buy 20K per year, that's $164. Or almost the match fee to the SS Classic. :surprise:

I will forever use Bayou Bullets. I was buying from a big name lead cast bullet company and the bullets always weighed less than what they were suppose to weigh.Lots of fouling and smoked like crazy. They are worth the little extra for no smoke and very little fouling, if any at all.And Donnys a really cool cat. Hes been shooting a long time,and knows his stuff. His bullets always weigh out correctly.But to each his own.

Edited by johnny1gun

I use Master Cast 2. Good bullets and affordabel as .45 s can be. Give him a try-618 997 2524.

+1

Mike @ Mastercast has "softer" cast bullet for .45 FWIW- The phone # I have for him is 618-529-1535. Ordered last week.

2000 delivered for $125 is hard to beat. (200g SWC)

Edited by JayTray

I shot Missouri bullets for some time when they had the red lube with no trouble at all. Since they went to the blue I've had nothing but lube where it shouldn't be. Dry, crumbly, out of lube groove and all over my floor. Even had a Sunday club match in August where the lube actually melted. 230 grain rn's in moon clips for a 625 sitting bullet down in an opaque white plastic box used for fishing lures. The lube melted enough to run down the bullet and puddle! Rounds wouldn't chamber and I was forced to withdraw. Bummer! Shooting Berry's now but intend to try some moly's for the next run. South Florida in August can get hot but that was too much. Maybe I should rent out as an extreme condition test facility. :goof:

I generally avoid cast lead bullets due to smoke, etc but .45 cal bullets are so expensive that lead makes sense cost wise. I'm looking for some recommendations for cast .45 bullets. Accuracy, smoke, lead fouling in the barrel, and delivery time are all important factors.

I started with MBC. They were fine at the time but actual weight of the bullets were off by a few grains more often than not on the light side.

I've also shot Bear Creek Molys.

Then i met Jim and Ryan at the SS Nationals last year. They supported the sport, so i tried them out, sight unseen. The 200gr LSWCs ALL weighed 200gr or maybe a hair more. Makes a big difference when you are chronoing a true 200gr boolit and not what you THOUGHT was 200gr but was actually 197. Can make or break a match right there.

As far as the lube they use, it was always in the groove, and not at the bottom of the box. Unfortunately for them, i started casting my own (Sorry Ryan but you know that already lol).

So just my 2 cents, from the three cast bullet manufacturers i've dealt with, i can say that SNS Casting is hands down the best in every aspect, from consistency of alloy, lube and weight, to fast shipping AND they support the Action Pistol sports. 5 stars in my book and i recommend them first to anybody i know wanting to shoot cast bullets.

If you ever get a chance to squad or shoot with them, do it. They are good folks.

Al

Inkman:

If 3gr difference in bullet weight is going to make or break a match, then you are playing the game too close to the line (160 PF), which is why I always recommend the minimum PF PLUS 12, so instead of aiming for 160 yo go to 172. You can then pretty near guarantee making PF anywhere.

Inkman:

If 3gr difference in bullet weight is going to make or break a match, then you are playing the game too close to the line (160 PF), which is why I always recommend the minimum PF PLUS 12, so instead of aiming for 160 yo go to 172. You can then pretty near guarantee making PF anywhere.

Everything is good now. I don't go below 170 anymore. It was just the fact of thinking your are at 167 or 168 with a 200gr bullet, factor in differences in chronos at the major matches, temp, elevation etc. Then come to find out when you see them weigh your bullet and the scale says 197gr, it was a sweat maker surprise.gif and seeing 165.05 (my load) as low major for the match was a wake up call. That was when i started weighing them instead of relying on what the manufacturer said they were.

And to stay on topic, that was just one of the advantages of SNS over the others i've used. If it was labeled 200gr, it was 200gr. I checked hundreds and hundreds from batches before giving up and realizing they deliver what they say they do.

Al

Inkman:

Everything is good now. I don't go below 170 anymore. It was just the fact of thinking your are at 167 or 168 with a 200gr bullet, factor in differences in chronos at the major matches, temp, elevation etc. Then come to find out when you see them weigh your bullet and the scale says 197gr, it was a sweat maker surprise.gif and seeing 165.05 (my load) as low major for the match was a wake up call. That was when i started weighing them instead of relying on what the manufacturer said they were.

And to stay on topic, that was just one of the advantages of SNS over the others i've used. If it was labeled 200gr, it was 200gr. I checked hundreds and hundreds from batches before giving up and realizing they deliver what they say they do.

Al

Good.

The weight issue is one of the reasons that I'm starting using Bayou Bullets.

These here are pretty good. They fall out of my mould at 202grs. using ww lead.

Always available, very accurate. CHEAP. :surprise: They smoke some, of course, due to the bullet lube.

Of course, I do have to stand at the bench and cast them but hey, nothing is free, right!

68bullets002.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't see his name mentioned but consider Jim Bodkin's bullets at JD Sales. He has a 235 gr SWC for .45, shoots soft and cuts a a big clean hole, no leading. Prices are pretty good to at $75/k. He is also now offering a swaged bullet with no wax, so the smoke is the same as a jacketed bullet.

My link

I didn't see his name mentioned but consider Jim Bodkin's bullets at JD Sales. He has a 235 gr SWC for .45, shoots soft and cuts a a big clean hole, no leading. Prices are pretty good to at $75/k. He is also now offering a swaged bullet with no wax, so the smoke is the same as a jacketed bullet.

My link

+1 I just got a shipment in from Jim. They look good. I can't wait to load a few and get them down range.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

BSL Bullets look good, but they are at the high end in terms of price.

The nice thing is they offer plain base bullets and it appears that they hand cast, rather than using a Magma machine. This could be great for quality, but it will cost you.

Thanks for the information.

These here are pretty good. They fall out of my mould at 202grs. using ww lead.

Always available, very accurate. CHEAP. :surprise: They smoke some, of course, due to the bullet lube.

Of course, I do have to stand at the bench and cast them but hey, nothing is free, right!

68bullets002.jpg

LOL. Those were probably gone in 3 months laugh.gif

Al

• 3 weeks later...