Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best cast lead .45 bullets?

Pro2AInPA

I generally avoid cast lead bullets due to smoke, etc but .45 cal bullets are so expensive that lead makes sense cost wise. I'm looking for some recommendations for cast .45 bullets. Accuracy, smoke, lead fouling in the barrel, and delivery time are all important factors.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are several casters that make quality bullets at pretty much the same price out there so I choose based on how they support the sport.

SNS casting.

Jim and Ryan Stinar. They make a quality bullet at a good price, both are USPSA shooters and they sponsor stages at majors. Plus, they are a couple of great guys.

What's not to like?

http://snscasting.com/

Missouri bullets lead in anything I've tried.

I would look to BBI bullets. They dont leave anything behind that a nylon brush or bore mop wont clean out. After figuring shipping, they arent much more $$ than plain lead. Shoot them with Clays, Solo, or WST and smoke wont be a problem.

I shoot moly bullets. They're not that much more expensive, if any, than cast bullets, and they are far less expensive than jacketed.

What do you pay for moly? I can get 2K lead 200 gr SWC for $172.15 delivered.

Bayou Bullets are $205.

When you buy 20K per year, that's $164. Or almost the match fee to the SS Classic. :surprise:

Edited by BillD

For cast bullets the best I've used has been Mitchell Custom Guns & Bulletworks or Dardas cast bullets, bullets from both places has been top notch everytime and shoot very good.

For the last year I have been shooting Bayou Bullets, they are a little more than plain cast but they are very clean and don't smoke. I have been using the Bayou's in 9, 38 & 45 and have been very pleased with the accuracy and how clean they are.

Greg

http://www.bayoubullets.net/

http://bulletworks.com/

http://www.dardascastbullets.com/

I use Bayou Bullets in both 9mm and .45. Very low smoke, if you notice any at all. Much less smoke than the other moly/poly offerings I have tried. My barrels are much cleaner with the Bayous, too. Lead load data is pretty much spot on for the Bayous.

I even use Titegroup behind the 9mm Bayous and I don't even notice any smoke. Titegroup behind other moly/poly bullets I have tried smoked like a choo-choo!

I shoot moly bullets. They're not that much more expensive, if any, than cast bullets, and they are far less expensive than jacketed.

Bayou Bullets are $205.

When you buy 20K per year, that's $164. Or almost the match fee to the SS Classic. :surprise:

My moly bullets are the same price you're paying for cast. And if you buy 10k at a time, they're cheaper.

This is why it's a no brainer for me. I shoot (and sell) moly.

RCBS 45-201-SWC or H&G #68 200gn L-SWC using 95% Wheel weights and 5% linotype, as-cast and tumble-lubed in LLA. For the no-smoke demands, Rooster Jacket or pan-lube with a good carnauba wax lube.

For buying, I get great accuracy with MasterCastBullets.com hard cast 200gn H&G #68 and Precision Bullet's 200gn Moly-Koted L-SWC. The Precisions have gone up in price to the point that I will only be using MasterCast after I am out of Precisions, except for my as-cast bullets.

Bayou Bullets are $205.

My moly bullets are the same price you're paying for cast. And if you buy 10k at a time, they're cheaper.

This is why it's a no brainer for me. I shoot (and sell) moly.

That's a good price for moly.

Bayou Bullets are $205.

200gr Bayou Bullets are $85/1000 plus shippng, and Donnie ships flat rate box.

I use Bayou Bullets in both 9mm and .45. Very low smoke, if you notice any at all. Much less smoke than the other moly/poly offerings I have tried. My barrels are much cleaner with the Bayous, too. Lead load data is pretty much spot on for the Bayous.

I even use Titegroup behind the 9mm Bayous and I don't even notice any smoke. Titegroup behind other moly/poly bullets I have tried smoked like a choo-choo!

I have 230gr Bayou bullets and concur no smoke with TG.

I loaded some 147gr, 9mm ammo for a friend and found that I had to drop .2gr to make the same PF as Precision moly. Again no smoke.

Edited by RePete

Are those current prices?

I know his website is out of date and in the process of being redone.

I have bought several cases from Donnie this year in multiple calibers and I paid $95 for 200's and $105 for 230's + shipping.

Greg

I have bought several cases from Donnie this year in multiple calibers and I paid $95 for 200's and $105 for 230's + shipping.

Greg

I just got some 230's and they were $91/1000 and some 147's and the were $67.

Greg

I just got some 230's and they were $91/1000 and some 147's and the were $67.

He recently quoted me $105 for 230gr's