Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adapting My New Versa Max for 3-Gun

StealthyBlagga

Benelli bolt release buttons and charging handles (old style) fit right in. Trigger groups also apparently interchange.

Its' not called the Remelli for nothing!

Mick

Can we get a play-by-play from those of you guys who own both this and a Benelli, or the guys who have tried out various accessories?

I'm curious if aftermarket forearms meant for the M4 will work on this, along with bolt handles and bolt release buttons.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any idea if the Mesa Tactical Urbino stock will fit on the Versa Max? Should I get the one for the 870? or the Benelli?

Much thanks... sweet mods!!

i have pictures of mine in here some where. the answer is no not even close. BUT you can make it work, i used the the one for the 1100

Mesa Tactical will be coming out with a VersaMax specific Urbino stock very shortly - pics are on their website. I would wait for that.

Mick

Any idea if the Mesa Tactical Urbino stock will fit on the Versa Max? Should I get the one for the 870? or the Benelli?

Mesa Tactical will be coming out with a VersaMax specific Urbino stock very shortly - pics are on their website. I would wait for that.

Mick

if correct wait, i bump up my open VM project for you check out.

• 3 months later...

Just wondering what parts you ordered for backup? Good idea to have them in the range bag rather than in the catalog.

Based only on my own experience with other guns, and my gut feel, I ordered one of each of the following:

6 Action Spring

15 Ejector Spring

16 Ejector

24 Trigger Plate Pin

26 Feed Latch Pivot Pin

27 Feed Latch Spring A

28 Feed Latch Spring B

44 Extractor

45 Extractor Pivot Pin

46 Extractor Spring

47 Firing Pin

48 Firing Pin Retaining Pin

49 F. P. Retaining Pin O-Ring

54 Firing Pin Spring

67 Carrier

84 Feed Latch Assembly

The bill was just over $100, and all these parts fit unobtrusively in my shooting kit. I already had spare Remington magazine followers (which look the same as for the 870/1100/11-87) and a Nordic magazine spring.

At this time, I have no basis to expect any of these parts will fail any more quickly on the VM than any other gun, with the possible exception of the firing pin retainer which has a reputation for working loose (mine has been OK so far). The spare carrier is going to C-Rums to be welded up because the original carrier I modified myself looks pretty crappy (though it works OK).

Where is the best place to find spare remi versa parts. I didn't see anything on midway or brownells.

• 1 month later...

Great thread... thanks to you guys!

Haven't had my lifter welded yet. A bit fearful to do so as I don't want to introduce shell jams on the chamber edge. I'm wondering if there is a way to groove a welded lifter so the shell still has some kind of a slot or track to guide it straight into the chamber. Have any of the custom shop guys developed a good solution that doesn't require material removal from the right side of the chamber?

Haven't had my lifter welded yet. A bit fearful to do so as I don't want to introduce shell jams on the chamber edge. I'm wondering if there is a way to groove a welded lifter so the shell still has some kind of a slot or track to guide it straight into the chamber. Have any of the custom shop guys developed a good solution that doesn't require material removal from the right side of the chamber?

There are a couple photos of my Versa Max in the forend for quad load thread. one of them shows how I modified the lifter.

I had C-Rums do my lifter last year and have had zero problems without modifying the chamber.

I had C-Rums do my lifter last year and have had zero problems without modifying the chamber.

I also had C-Rums weld my lifter to my VersaMax Tac and I had intermittent fail to chamber issues when using the bulk pack Federal loads. The leading edge of the shell would get hung up on the extractor groove at the sharp edge until I lightly filed a chamfer on the leading edge. After I debured the edge, the shells haven't hung up again after approx. 1000 rounds. So it must be hit or miss depending on the tolerances of each gun. I also thought about adding a bevel to the inside of the lifter but haven't needed to since the gun has been running 100%

Edited by lksyotas

• 3 months later...

Great thread, a lot of good information on what can be done to the Versa for competition.
My question, are there any shops you can send your Versa to for a complete 'competition package'? (similar to what TTI and Salient are doing with Benellis). If so, who do you guys recommend?

Hopefully this is enough on topic. Thanks in advance.

Gentemen,

Thank you for this tread with lot of good information.

But unfortunally I cannot send lifter to C-Rums from Russia for welding :).

So can anybody advise custom company or shop where I may buy custom lifter without devils fork?

Honestly, you might be best to wait a few months. The new 3Gun Competition will be available in 2014 and it has a lifter that does not need to be welded. I've been told that they are planning on putting this new lifter in all models, so it should be a part available from Remington directly in a few months.

We looked at the work from a bunch of shops and none of them really did what we wanted. So, I taught a local shop here how to set up the VersaMax optimized for 3Gun and he is doing great work. The quality and attention to detail is without comparison. Plus, you get the proper angle on the loading port for TWinS and Quad loading. Give Andy at 303Arms a call and he will take care of you.

Thank you, Mark!

I'll contact Andy.

Concerning new 3G version - I not shure what it will be awaible in Russia soon. So I'll better still work under my current VMT.

On picturers below are my modifications.

7840429.jpg

7840430.jpg

7840431.jpg

7840432.jpg

7840433.jpg

Edited by thai_cat

Don't know if you will be able to get it in Russia, but the lifter is just a replacement part, so once that is catalogged, you might be able to buy just the part.

I open my loading ports up more, but the angle looks perfect.

• 1 month later...

I'm not aware of any aftermarket hammers but a Benelli M2 hammer is a direct drop in. My hammer had the same dents which typically won't affect the reliability of the gun but my hammer also had a chunk of material that tore away from the disconnector locking tab. The Benelli hammer has dented also but not to the same extent. My shotgun has 3000 shells down range and I replaced the hammer about a thousand rounds ago.

Gentlemen,

look on hammer of my VMT after 2000 rounds.

I think it is MIM, I'm correct?

Does any company in USA produce milled hammers?

1291331_629133750459482_1334722430_o.jpg

It is not MIM, it is a machined piece.

It will look like that for the next 10k rounds, the aftermarket "tool steel" hammers begin to look the same after some time.

The peening you see is normal, run it. Remington will sell you an entire fire control group if you want spare parts.

Edited by bpipe95