Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adapting My New Versa Max for 3-Gun

StealthyBlagga

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stealthy,

Do you know if an Arredondo Speedloader chute the Benelli will fit on your Versa Max? I am looking for a new shotgun, but don't really want a Benelli.

Thanks,

Z

I can't say because I don't run speedloaders. However, I am informed by a reliable source that the Benelli M2 and VersaMax trigger groups are interchangeable, and the Benelli stock fits, so my guess would be that other Benelli accessories will fit.

Do you think one would be better off to get the 26" now and do the conversion or wait for the 22" Tactical coming out? The 26" would probably be a better choice if one still wanted to use it for hunting but wouldn't be as good if used for HD too.

Has anyone compared the safety button on these with the regular 870/1100 button? Wondering if a Vang Comp Domed Safety would fit.

I too would rather avoid any issues with 922r and imports. Even though all I would really like to be able to add is the extended mag.

Now that you know that the Benelli Stock can be made to fit the Versa Max do you think the Versa Max stock could be used on the Benelli? If so it could be used to satisfy the 922r issues for folks wanting to run a field stock.

Thanks.

Why convert or shorten or buy the 22 at all? There is really very few matches where a ten round rube can't be used and that puts the tube at 26" anyway so leave the 26" alone and shoot it.

I didn't mean cutting the bbl. on the 26". By conversion I meant the extension, etc.

SB - Have you tested your VM with a variety of slugs yet? Mine is shooting way right so I'm shopping around for a gunsmith to fit a rear 10/22 on it. I've tried it with Rangers, Brennekes and Fiocchi and all the same result (off right). I really don't want to bend the barrel.

BTW, I just received my Versa Max back from Jeff at CRUMS and he did an excellent job! I especially noticed how smooth the loading gate and action became. Definitely very nice.

SB - Have you tested your VM with a variety of slugs yet?

Mine seems to shoot Winchester and Remington reduced recoil slugs pretty much POA-POI. I am planning to add a ghost ring to my gun anyway, so I have not paid too much attention to it, nor have I tested with all chokes yet... I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

StealthyBlagga;

You mentioned a ball socket arrangement for drop and cast adjustments. Do you have to change anything, like the Benelli spacers, or just rotate things around and tighten it back up?

As I understand it, the original stock can be adjusted for drop and cast by adjusting and/or replacing a steel plate inside the buttstock right under the stock bolt. The plate is accessed by removing the recoil pad and using an Allen wrench to remove the stock bolt. The gun comes with both plates. The ball-and-socket arrangement is where the stock wrist meets the rear of the receiver, and stays in place during the adjustment. This process is described in the user manual, which you can download from the Remington website.

Incidentally, it is also possible to replace the comb, but for some reason Remington do not provide this with the gun - you have to call them to order one, which seems kinda cheap to me.

In any case, when I installed the Benelli pistol grip stock on my gun, I simply removed and discarded all the Remington stock parts (including the ball-and-socket arrangement). The Benelli stock mates up pretty well to the Versa-Max receiver, with only a slight step that looks imperfect but does not affect functionality.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: My Versa Max is still running strong. I recently added a Nordic bolt release button and charging handle, but still haven't cleaned the gun since getting it.Probably close to 1000 rounds fired. The only problem I have with it is that Remington still has spare parts on "factory restriction" so if anything breaks I'm SOL - the gun has to go back to the factory :angry:

I used the VM in our new monthly Tactical Shotgun match last night - it ran better than I did:

Edited by StealthyBlagga

UPDATE: I got a call from Remington on Friday. All the parts I wanted to buy are now released from factory restriction. I should have a package of spares waiting for me when I get home from cold and rainy Belgium this week. I'm having a Stella to celebrate :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: Most of the spare parts arrived - the action spring is backordered.

I have cleaned up the modifications somewhat. I KG Gunkoted the bare metal on the modified Nordic magazine nut (I see that Nordic now sell an extension for the VM). I also installed a Nordic bolt release button and old-style Benelli M1/M2 bolt handle. Lastly, Mark over at 3-Gun Gear expedited manufacture of an 8-shell sidesaddle for me; he used narrower-than-usual elastic and it works great - less tension but still 100% retention. Here are some updated photos:

VersaMaxDiagonal2012-02-01.jpg

NordicbolthandlebuttononVersaMax.jpg

3GGSidesaddleonVersaMax.jpg

I still have to add a ghost ring rear sight (yeah, I'm strange like that). I have a Williams "big game" aperture that I think can be made to work... watch out for an update when I get this done. I want this gun 100% ready for SMM3G at the end of next month.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Would trimming the forend been an option versus turning down the barrel nut?

This is not necessary now - Nordic are offering a Versa Max version of their extension: LINK. For the 26" barrel, I found their +6 extension (14") plus their XL (3/4") extended end cap are a perfect fit and give me 10+1+1 capacity.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

That is one bad ass shotgun. I have enjoyed reading this thread over time as your experiences have unfolded. Thank you very much for sharing your explorations with us.

I've thought about a Versa Max for myself. It's good to see there are two general options available: 1) work on a sporting version and make it into a 3-gun tool, or 2) be on the look out for the Tactical version in the near future.

For someone considering a Versa Max in the near future, would you have a recommendation on which option to take over the other?

Thank you,

Mike

For someone considering a Versa Max in the near future, would you have a recommendation on which option to take over the other?

It depends mainly on the rules you are shooting under.

If you shoot mostly under IMA rules, then you may want a magazine capacity of more than 8+1. In my case, even though I have to start with 8+1 in the gun, I like having the option to load extras during the course of fire. Thus, I chose to have a 10+1 magazine capacity, which reaches out to the same length as the 26" barrel. If I am going to have this much length, I might as well enjoy the extra velocity and sight radius too.

If you shoot mostly under USPSA rules (boooo, hissss), then you are stuck with a maximum of 8+1 and so you might as well enjoy a shorter, handier gun with a 22" barrel.

The 26" Synthetic comes with 5 ProBore chokes, whereas the 22" Tactical comes with only two chokes (and one is the not-altogether-useful breaching device). On the plus side, the Tactical does come with a Nordic magazine extension, clamp and bolt release button (which is a bit of a PITA to install). My guess is that both will still require the carrier be welded up.

Probably the biggest issue will be your timeline. I have a friend in the same situation, and he is just not willing to wait until April to get a gun.

Club that holds well attended monthly matches in my region has two rules on shotguns that guide me:

#2 is "Barrel length may not be changed for the duration of the match and must be 24 inches or shorter, however a non-ported extended choke can be used it cannot extend more the 1.25 inches past the end of the barrel."

#8 is "Tactical Shotguns may only hold 8 rounds maximum in the tube. Ghost loading is specifically not allowed."

Not to be *too* much of a lawyer's son, but does 'hold' mean only that capacity or simply 'don't put more than 8 in at any time'?? Easy to meet their needs with a different Nordic tube when required.

But, if I change directions away form this CZ712 Utility for Texas Multigun, before I put any real money into it, then I had better change up soon. Ugh. Maybe a Versa Max with a pistol grip and get the barrel cut down to 24" and rethreaded? Hmmm, that is worth considering. I think I can find the current versions of the Versa Max for less than the Tactical will go for at release.

Decisions, decisions. For now, I'll finish getting my rifle ready for the season.

Thank You Very Much,

Mike

...Maybe a Versa Max with a pistol grip and get the barrel cut down to 24" and rethreaded? Hmmm, that is worth considering. I think I can find the current versions of the Versa Max for less than the Tactical will go for at release.

The VM barrel is backbored/overbored, uses ProBore chokes, and feels pretty light, so it may be too thin to recut for chokes. I found a thread on this question here: LINK. Also, I can't say whether you would have to modify the gas system for the shorter barrel... the gas ports look like they would be a challenge to drill out if that were necessary.

Overall, if those are the rules you have to work within, I would suggest holding out for the Tactical model.

I'd recommend waiting for the Tactical version. The reason I wanted to get the 22" barrel, outside of the lighter weight, is to see if Remington changed the slug accuracy. My 26" barrel shoots way right and they replaced it with another barrel that also shoots right. I wasn't able to get it to shoot straight, even after a barrel bending session. However, it does shoot straight with B&P slugs only and those are backordered till May 2012. Also, supposedly Remington also fixed the firing pin retainer falling out in the Tactical version and this has already happened to me during a match.

More data points for ya...