Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adapting My New Versa Max for 3-Gun

StealthyBlagga

Ok gentlemen, my shiny new 26" Versa Max arrived yesterday. Any words of wisdom on adapting it to 3-gunning? I'm gonna stick with the 26" barrel and add a +6 mag extension. For those folks who have done so, did you drill out or swage out the mag tube dimples?

Edited by StealthyBlagga

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would go do a search on what is done to the Benelli guns and do that to your's. The Versa-Max is so close to the M2/M4 that some call them the "Remnelli" or the "Benmington" and I ain't kidding in the least. BTW a Benelli trigger group drops right in and the gun functions with it in there. KurtM

I would go do a search on what is done to the Benelli guns and do that to your's. The Versa-Max is so close to the M2/M4 that some call them the "Remnelli" or the "Benmington" and I ain't kidding in the least. BTW a Benelli trigger group drops right in and the gun functions with it in there. KurtM

Thanks Kurt. Do you know if a Benelli buttstock will fit on the Versa Max?

Haven't tried it yet....yes I know you want the P.G. stock, but it would be close I think. It might be hard to anchor it, as I haven't had the stock off the "Benmington".

The Versa Max stock interface is a bit funky - it is designed to accommodate a range of cast/drop options via a dish-shape socket arrangement. It may take a bit of Dremeling :roflol: My main concern is how the shape of the receiver end compares, and whether the 3/4" diameter action spring tube will fit inside the Benelli stock.

Also, have folks been using Nordic's standard Remington 1100/11-87/870 magazine extension? I have one on order but, having tried to install my old Choate extension, I see that the protruding thread of the Versa Max magazine tube is about 0.05" shorter than that of my 11-87. I fear a gap inside the tube that would cause feeding problems... anyone had a problem with the Nordic extension?

I have a Nordic extension on mine and no problems. You will want to put the extension in a lath and trim the nut to fit inside the forearm to keep it tight. Weld up lifter. Didn't do it for my benelli but paid price until I did it on versamax. Benelli bolt handle works well but get the old one that spins.

I have a Nordic extension on mine and no problems. You will want to put the extension in a lath and trim the nut to fit inside the forearm to keep it tight. Weld up lifter. Didn't do it for my benelli but paid price until I did it on versamax. Benelli bolt handle works well but get the old one that spins.

My Nordic Rem 1100/11-97/870 mag extension arrived today. I see what you mean about needing to trim it; it is way too fat to fit the recess in the handguard. It also looks like there is too much thread where it joins the factory mag tube - even when tight, there will be about a 0.08" internal gap for shell rims to hang up. Does anyone know when Nordic will have a nut that fits the Versa Max properly?

I plan to weld up the carrier pretty soon also. I can't fathom why these gun companies think the fork at the front of the carrier is a remotely good idea.

I got to play with the Versa Max a bit more today. Interesting factoid: the Versa Max can be ghost loaded like older Benellis; even with the magazine plug installed, I can get 3+1 in the gun. I wonder if this will trigger a recall when all those Remington customers get busted for violating game laws :roflol:

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: I have modified the Versa Max to what I consider to be a good starting point for 3-gunning. Still some work to do, but here is what I have done so far:

Magazine Extension

I ordered a Nordic Components extension originally designed for the Remington 1100/11-87/870. The threads are the same, but it is not a drop-in fit. There are three problems.

The first issue is generic to most Remingtons - the dreaded magazine tube dimples. I fixed this like the brute I am... with a drill press and Dremel:

VMmagazineextension-dimplesdrilledout.jpg

The second issue is that the Versa Max forend has a molded recess into which the original magazine cap fits, but which is too narrow for the Nordic extension nut to fit. This means the Nordic nut will not thread fully onto the end of the Versa Max magazine tube. Some folks have worked around this by grinding the front portion of the forend on a belt sander to remove all the plastic around the recess. Looking at how flimsy the forend is, I was not thrilled about this approach.

The third issue is that the threads protruding from the end of the Versa Max magazine tube are shorter than those of the older Remington guns. As a result, even if it threaded on properly, there would be a significant gap inside the tube (maybe 0.1") where the extension joins the magazine tube. This causes the shells/follower/spring to hang up, resulting in feed malfunctions.

To resolve both issues, I had a friend turn down the Nordic nut on a lathe. The nut OD was turned down to fit inside the forend recess, and shortened to eliminate the internal gap. Here are some photos:

VMmagazineextension-aftermodification.jpg

VMmagazineextension-nutmodifications.jpg

VMmagazineextension-installednutbetter.jpg

I added a +3/4" extension to the Nordic tube to bring the end just slightly ahead of the muzzle. This ensures the muzzle is a little better protected during rapid abandonment, and gives me a full 10+1 capacity.

More below...

The last thing I did to the magazine was install a clamp - I am a big believer in magazine clamps. I took a Nordic magazine clamp and applied some epoxy to add grip. This solution has worked well for me on my other Remingtons to avoid clamp slippage. Regular 5-minute epoxy works; just be sure to wrap the barrel and magazine extension with Saran Wrap, and apply plenty of petroleum jelly to the screws to ensure the epoxy does not make your installation permanent! :roflol:

VMclamp-readytoreceiveepoxy.jpg

VMclamp-installingwithwetepoxy.jpg

VMclamp-afterepoxy.jpg

More below...

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Pistol Grip

As indicated in my original post, I like pistol grip stocks. I also like that, being US made, the Remington does not give me the 922r compliance headache that a Benelli might.

When my Versa Max arrived, it was obvious that a Remington 11-87 pistol grip stock would not fit without extensive modification. However, with the Versa Max in hand, it is clear that it is, ahem, "strongly inspired" by the Benelli M2/M4 platforms. I rolled the dice and ordered a Benelli pistol grip stock from Brownells. What are the odds - it fits almost perfectly :surprise:. All it took was a little light filing on the stock adjacent to the trigger guard, plus adding a longer 1.25" long 1/4"-28 bolt/washer, and it fit like a glove (well, just a slight step at the rear of the receiver):

VMPGstock-comparisonvsoriginal.jpg

VMPGstock-wheremodifiedannotated-1.jpg

VMPGstock-fittoreceiver.jpg

VMPGstock-installed.jpg

More below...

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Shell Carrier

Just as with the Benelli and FN platforms, Remington chose to copy failure by designing the shell carrier (lifter/gate) with a barbecue fork on the end. Once bitten, twice shy - the fork had to go.

Being a 3-gunner, I am far too impatient to wait for CRums to do the job properly, so I fired up my trusty TIG welder, dug out some scrap ~18 gage 316 stainless steel, and proceeded to produce an ugly molten mass. As you will see from the photos below, I do not make my living as a welder. Nevertheless, I got the wanted material on there and a lot of judicious grinding has covered up the worst of my bungling:

VMcarrier-readytoweld.jpg

VMcarrier-backingbar.jpg

VMcarrier-tackwelded.jpg

VMcarrier-weldedinstalled.jpg

More below...

Edited by StealthyBlagga

After installing the modified carrier, I hand cycled some rounds. What I discovered was that the Versa Max has inherited another negative Benelli trait: shells jam against the right side of the chamber rim. It seems this is a common peril with welded carriers, as the fork is no longer there to keep the nose of the shell centered. Here are some photos of the problem:

VMfeedmalfunction.jpg

VMdamagedshell.jpg

The culprit is the sharp rim of the chamber where it is cut out for the extractor:

VMchamber.jpg

KurtM helpfully advised me to chamfer the right side of the chamber rim and stick with good quality shells with perfect crimp. After a bit more light Dremeling with a sanding drum, polishing wheel/valve grinding paste and then 600 grit abrasive paper, I was able to run a box of shells through the gun OK (including when canted 90 degrees to the right). Of course, all bets are off when the buzzer sounds, so look out for an update after our match Saturday.

More below...

Edited by StealthyBlagga

The Versa Max is still not finished to my satisfaction. I need to add a larger bolt release button and probably also add some better sights. I am also going to play around with different loading techniques, so I may or may not be adding a sidesaddle and/or grinding around the loading port. For the moment, though, I am pretty happy. Other than the feeding issues mentioned above, the Versa Max has functioned flawlessly with every load I have stuffed into it. Overall, I'm a pretty happy camper.

Here is the gun as it looks today:

3-GunVersaMaxhorizontal.jpg

More updates will follow. In the meantime, feel free to chime in with questions. :)

Edited by StealthyBlagga

When I had recieved my Benelli lifter back from C-Rums, I was aware of the slight bending that most people did to the addition. I didn't like the feel of the feeding, personally. I then took most of the radius off, and put a small circular notch in the end, much like the lifter on my old Winchester Super X. Later, Trapr told me it looked much like the original Benelli M1 lifter. I can't get my thumb caught in it, and the notch helps with shell alignment for feeding. As Kurt had suggested I deburred the sharp edge on the extractor cut. I used a Cratex straight point to do this modification.

Looks really good!!! The pistol grip stock turned out nice as did the turned Nordic extension, hopefully they will start shipping them that way. I will definitely check it out on Saturday, very interested.

UPDATE: The Versa Max ran flawlessly at our weekend match (me, not so much). The video below shows it in action. The first stage is all birdshot (cheap WalMart Remington 100-pack #8 loads), the second stage has some buckshot intermingled with birdshot on the first array. Choke was Modified. Still no cleaning - thumbs up so far :D

• 3 weeks later...