Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My friend, Richard Salem, is in prison and needs your help

benos

I figured the title would get some click-ins.

It's true, a good friend, Richard Salem, who used to live around the corner from me in Tempe, was sentenced to 10.5 years in prison. Richard was largely responsible for most of the early graphic artwork on BrianEnos.com. He is a Photoshop master, and an extremely creative and talented songwriter and musician. We became close friends immediately upon metting at Casey Moore's, about 11 years ago. Some years ago he moved to Sedona, where he and his artistic way of life found a beautiful home.

His friend and girlfriend have created a website, FreeRichardSalem.com, to help raise donations to fund his habeas corpus appeal, which is his last chance of being released from prison without having to serve the full 10.5 years. (Full details at the link.)

Please read the story of his insane conviciton and sentencing at the link above. Any help will be massively appreciated.

I've met Richard's friend and attorney, Scott Seymann, who is handling the donations, and refunds, if the goal isn't met - and he is an outstanding human being.

Thank you,

Brian

This is not right. Resisting arrest due to medical condition gets 10.5 years, no previous record whatsoever, something is wrong. I'm signing the petition.

edit: typo

10.5 year for resisting arrest sounds strange.... what was he even being arrested for? If the charge was just resisting arrest- regardless of whether or not there was a medical condition- 10.5 years sounds over the top to say the least!

Mr. Salem was not sentenced to a 10.5 yr prison term for simply resiting arrest. Though this is one of the charges made against him, the most serious is seven separate counts of aggravated assault involving a firearm which he took from one of the responding officers.

Here's a link to the press release that covers some details of his arrest and subsequent conviction: http://www.co.yavapai.az.us/WorkArea/showcontent.aspx?id=27796

I will complete 40 years in Law Enforcement next month. Resisting or Obstructing a

Peace Officer in the state of Illinois is a Misdemeanor and punishable by a maximum of

1 year in the county jail, plus fines, etc. There are circumstances where it could

be filed as a Felony. But, even then it would be a Class 4 which is 1-3 years in

prison and that would be served day for day.

This makes no sense at all. I'd like to see the charging documents and the Judge's

decision for the 10.5 year sentence. The sentence does not seem possible, regardless

of a medical condition or not, with the information posted on the website as to what happened.

for 10.5 years it is really odd.

Last paragraph of your link;

"At sentencing, the Judge found that the minimum sentence was

appropriate, given Salem’s lack of prior criminal history, his history of

mental health issues, and lack of serious injury to the officers."

full story

Its seems your friend wrote a check he doesn't want to cash.

Yavapai County Attorney

255 East Gurley Street

Prescott, AZ 86301

(928) 771-3344 (Criminal)

(928) 771-3338 (Civil)

Facsimile (928) 771-3110

SHEILA POLK

Yavapai County Attorney

PRESS RELEASE

Dated: April 18, 2007

Richard N. Salem, a local Sedona musician, was sentenced yesterday

by Judge Thomas Lindberg of the Yavapai County Superior Court to the

minimum sentence of 10.5 years in prison for Salem’s dangerous assault of

various Sedona police officers.

Salem was convicted by a jury of twelve persons on March 2, 2007 of

seven separate counts of aggravated assault on Sedona police officers, one

count of resisting arrest and a charge of criminal trespass, after officers

testified that Salem refused to leave his former girlfriend’s property when

asked and fought with officers, at one point grabbing an officer’s gun and

threatening officers with it. According to officers, Salem was belligerent

with them immediately, telling them that they did not have the right to be on

his ex-girlfriend’s property because it was private property. At one point

during the struggle, an officer testified that he was hit in throat by Salem,

who then said, “I am going to kill you.”

During the trial, Salem claimed that he was suffering from a panic

attack and that he never touched the officer’s gun during the altercation. He

said he never intended to harm the officers.

At sentencing, the Judge found that the minimum sentence was

appropriate, given Salem’s lack of prior criminal history, his history of

mental health issues, and lack of serious injury to the officers.

These links don't work for me... hmmm

Here's the compendium:

...officers testified that Salem refused to leave his former girlfriend’s property when asked and fought with officers, at one point grabbing an officer’s gun and threatening officers with it.

Edited to add:

Oops, Spanky beat me to it!

Edited by Cy Soto

full story

I'm not getting what you mean by that?

Ughh. I'm sorry, I can't support somebody grabbing a cops gun and threatening him with it.sad.gif

That's not what actually happened. What Richard told me... he was wrestling around with one of the cops while the other was tazoring him. Then the cop on the ground said, "he's going for my gun - shoot him." Richard wasn't going for the cops gun, nor did the cops gun leave the holster.

A lot of stuff that came out during the trial is stuff that you are not going to know or be able to read about. The two cops were green and pretty gung ho. They didn't waste any time to begin tasering him. And apparently that is not uncommon with Sedona police officers. Many felt that if a more experienced officer had been on the scene, the situation would have been difussed without any violence.

There isn't going to be anyone who knows how much I love and care about Richard. So I would like to ask everyone to please keep any negative comments to your self.

So you can a little bit of an idea... Before his sentencing, I petitioned the court...

I was a close personal friend of Richard Salem, for sevaral years, in Tempe Arizona. He lived just around the corner from me; we spent a lot of time together listening to music, working with graphic art, and just enjoying each others company.

Richard is one of the kindest and most helpful people I've ever known. When we first met, I was learning how to build websites and work with Photoshop. He spent endless hours tutoring me, patiently and creatively guiding me, and would never accept payment.

Wherever Richard is, he is a benefit to all those around him. His gentle, creative spirit is contagious. On many occasions, Richard went out of his way to help those who could benefit from his extraordinary talents.

Richard does not belong in prison. I sincerely feel that if an experienced officer would have been on the scene, the situation could have been resolved without escalating the way it did.

From all the details I learned after his trial, I believe his lawyer was completely incompetent, and due to that he was unjustly sentenced. He poses no threat to society, and from what I've learned of his life in Sedona, he has many friends who love him and will welcome him back into their lives if he is released.

Please allow Richard to return to society, where he will be appreciated and loved by all who know him.

Sincerely,

Brian Enos

Tempe Airzona

Brian,

The legal system works very slowly. I pray you get the funds needed to

get the Federal level started. I know from dealing with the legal system

for almost 40 years as a cop that you guys have an uphill battle. But, I

wish you the best and hope that the truth prevails.

Ron V, aka/Sparky

full story

I'd hardly call a press release (which is the .gov's account of the story more than anything) a "full story".

I hope you can prevail in getting him out early... this certainly appears as if justice is not being served here.

Edited by Kevin Holman

full story

I'm not getting what you mean by that?

Ughh. I'm sorry, I can't support somebody grabbing a cops gun and threatening him with it.sad.gif

That's not what actually happened. What Richard told me... he was wrestling around with one of the cops while the other was tazoring him. Then the cop on the ground said, "he's going for my gun - shoot him." Richard wasn't going for the cops gun, nor did the cops gun leave the holster.

A lot of stuff that came out during the trial is stuff that you are not going to know or be able to read about. The two cops were green and pretty gung ho. They didn't waste any time to begin tasering him. And apparently that is not uncommon with Sedona police officers. Many felt that if a more experienced officer had been on the scene, the situation would have been difussed without any violence.

There isn't going to be anyone who knows how much I love and care about Richard. So I would like to ask everyone to please keep any negative comments to your self.

So you can a little bit of an idea... Before his sentencing, I petitioned the court...

I was a close personal friend of Richard Salem, for sevaral years, in Tempe Arizona. He lived just around the corner from me; we spent a lot of time together listening to music, working with graphic art, and just enjoying each others company.

Richard is one of the kindest and most helpful people I've ever known. When we first met, I was learning how to build websites and work with Photoshop. He spent endless hours tutoring me, patiently and creatively guiding me, and would never accept payment.

Wherever Richard is, he is a benefit to all those around him. His gentle, creative spirit is contagious. On many occasions, Richard went out of his way to help those who could benefit from his extraordinary talents.

Richard does not belong in prison. I sincerely feel that if an experienced officer would have been on the scene, the situation could have been resolved without escalating the way it did.

From all the details I learned after his trial, I believe his lawyer was completely incompetent, and due to that he was unjustly sentenced. He poses no threat to society, and from what I've learned of his life in Sedona, he has many friends who love him and will welcome him back into their lives if he is released.

Please allow Richard to return to society, where he will be appreciated and loved by all who know him.

Sincerely,

Brian Enos

Tempe Airzona

Ok. Your words and opinions are due some respect here. I don't however know the people involved. If I sent a donation throgh your BE donation link, would you pass it on? Good luck to your friend.

Youngeyes,

If you would like to send a donation, I would prefer you sent it through FreeRichardSalem.com. Because that would eliminate a "middleman," in keeping track of the donation, should the donations have to be returned, in the sad case that they don't meet their $40,000 minimum requirement to prepay a habeas lawyer.

Thank you,

Brian