Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any information on potential FN SLP with 24" VR barrel?

59Bassman

I'm about ready to buy my first 3-gun shotgun, and it's going to be a FN SLP. I was thinking about a plain Mk 1, but I really don't want rifle sights or the cantilever if I can help it. The FN website lists a competition model SLP with a 24" barrel and a lower weight than the 22" model with the cantilever. This model number is listed as having a vent rib barrel at a number of websites (such as Gallery of Guns). The vent rib gun is the model I'd want.

The problem is that no one seems to have any stock of them, with unknown future availability. I've tried emailing FN USA a couple times asking about the gun, but have not received any information. Does anyone have any scoop on this gun?

I'd rather not buy a Mk 1 and swap the barrels if I can help it - if I am going to have to spend a few hundred dollars more for another barrel I may go with working up a different shotgun instead.

Any info would be appreciated.

I've seen this question come up before and the only definitive answer I saw was the FN SLP MK I with an SX3 VR barrel; also checked the FN website and it says you can buy the VR barrel separately, but nothing about it coming on the gun. You'd think it would be a pretty top priority but I can't find anything else about it.

CM

I spoke to FNH today about the Competition model with 24" VR today. I was told that the product manager had told them that the shotgun would be available sometime in the summer of 2012.

So I'm left with a few disappointing choices:

1. Buy a current-model SLP Mark 1 and either have that awful cantilever milled off and a VR fitted, or buy one and a 24" VR barrel, selling off the old barrel.
  2. Buy a Mossberg 930 and start putting money into it.
  3. Swallow my pride and my extreme distaste, dislike, and distrust, and buy a Benelli.
  4. Wait 10 months to really get serious about 3-gun.

Not a really great choice among them.

Edited to add - there's a 5th choice, and one I'm leaning towards now. Buy a Winchester SX3 with a 26" barrel and a Nordic extension, and shoot the heck out of it. I'm starting to lean that way heavily. While it may be a bit harder to manipulate around barriers, I've spent most of my shooting time pulling shotgun triggers, and a slightly longer vent rib barrel sounds much more appealing than a rifle sighted barrel.

Hmm, it's only money, right?

Edited by 59Bassman

I spoke to FNH today about the Competition model with 24" VR today. I was told that the product manager had told them that the shotgun would be available sometime in the summer of 2012.

So I'm left with a few disappointing choices:

1. Buy a current-model SLP Mark 1 and either have that awful cantilever milled off and a VR fitted, or buy one and a 24" VR barrel, selling off the old barrel.
  2. Buy a Mossberg 930 and start putting money into it.
  3. Swallow my pride and my extreme distaste, dislike, and distrust, and buy a Benelli.
  4. Wait 10 months to really get serious about 3-gun.

Not a really great choice among them.

Edited to add - there's a 5th choice, and one I'm leaning towards now. Buy a Winchester SX3 with a 26" barrel and a Nordic extension, and shoot the heck out of it. I'm starting to lean that way heavily. While it may be a bit harder to manipulate around barriers, I've spent most of my shooting time pulling shotgun triggers, and a slightly longer vent rib barrel sounds much more appealing than a rifle sighted barrel.

Hmm, it's only money, right?

Or do like those of us with SX3's... buy it and SGC was selling (part number listed here somewhere) the 24 VR barrel from an SLP, it bolts right on and works great... that's what I did.... I had 00bullit mill me in a 10-22 rear sight and that was all... Course there were some other things done, but really you don't need them if you don't want. For example, you can get the lifter welded up, you can open the load port, put on a charging handle, add a better bolt release, etc. I also had mine sure-cycled and all polished and tuned up.

At the time, Tod did all the work and to date it's been awesome.

Alan

I know this is a little off the subject but have you considered the new Remington Versa Max? It is supposed to be coming out in a tactical version sometime in December.

The preliminary stats are:

- 12 gauge

- 22-inch barrel (more barrel options to come)

- Magazine capacity: 2.75-inch (7+1); 3-inch (6+1); note: there is no 3.5-inch option

- Picatinny rail mounted on receiver

- Clamp on side of barrel for mounting lights, lasers and other accessories

- Over-sized bolt handle, release button and safety

- Two choke options: improved cylinder; ported "tactical" breacher choke

- MSRP: $1,399

I have heard that Daniel Horner is using one now.

Or do like those of us with SX3's... buy it and SGC was selling (part number listed here somewhere) the 24 VR barrel from an SLP, it bolts right on and works great... that's what I did.... I had 00bullit mill me in a 10-22 rear sight and that was all... Course there were some other things done, but really you don't need them if you don't want. For example, you can get the lifter welded up, you can open the load port, put on a charging handle, add a better bolt release, etc. I also had mine sure-cycled and all polished and tuned up.

At the time, Tod did all the work and to date it's been awesome.

Alan

If I'm stuck changing barrels, I might as well start with an SLP, depending on price. If I can't make a 26" work for 3 gun, there's no real advantage over going with an SLP and getting the offending bits cut off. I'm planning on getting the lifter welded, but I have to keep the initial purchase at or under $1K. Adding another barrel is going to break that by quite a bit.

I've looked at a bunch of past barrel length threads and thought a lot about my local matches. I'm wondering if there's a really compelling reason why 26" would be inappropriate?

Edited by 59Bassman

59Bassman, please keep us in the loop with what you decide. I think I'm in a very similar situation as you and I don't know which way to go, too. Sometimes I just feel like sucking it up and getting te Benelli M2, but I really wanted to keep my rig somewhat around a grand, if possible, like you also.

If I'm stuck changing barrels, I might as well start with an SLP, depending on price. If I can't make a 26" work for 3 gun, there's no real advantage over going with an SLP and getting the offending bits cut off. I'm planning on getting the lifter welded, but I have to keep the initial purchase at or under $1K. Adding another barrel is going to break that by quite a bit.

I've looked at a bunch of past barrel length threads and thought a lot about my local matches. I'm wondering if there's a really compelling reason why 26" would be inappropriate?

i had a slp then got a 26inch sx2 slp got sold in a hurry vent rib works way better for me and lighter wieght is nice to and just got a sx3 today its a 28inch but is even lighter than the sx2 cant wait to get some time behind it

watch gunbroker and it s not to hard to get sx3 for less than 900 i paid 750 for mine

I just talked to FNH about the Competition model as well as the SLP Mk 1 Tactical a few weeks ago. I was told that neither will be available until 2012 sometime. No definate dates were provided.

Robert

I talked to them back in late June or early July and was told August release. I have a feeling that they don't even know. This has been going on for pushing two years now. They sponsor 3 Gun Nation, create a ton of interest in a product and then don't release it. Come on, I know they have huge military contractd but come on, talk about backwards business practices.