Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Leupold 1.1-8 CQBSS review

ccoker

“The best carbine optic on the market?”

By: GlockandRoll

Hello shooters:

I am very excited to tell you about my first day in the field with the new Leupold Mk 8 CQBSS 1.1-8 front focal plan scope. I really hoped not to start my review with the clichéd “I could tell it was good when I opened the box“, but; let me tell you – I could tell it was good when I opened the box!

Let’s start with the tube body itself: It is large, 34mm in fact, which I assumed was to get more light in and allow more elevation travel.. I had no idea how right I was until heading out to Best of The West this morning with Charles and Adam. The wide body (and hopefully you can judge this from the pictures) delivers incredible light transmission, edge to edge clarity, and flawless color. We had a truck full of rigs out there with high-end optics from S&B, NF, USO, et al.. and this scope held it’s on with our quick “set them all to 8x and line them up test”. And trust me here, I’m an FAA licensed pilot with 20:10 or better vision, and have always considered myself a good judge of optical quality – this is some damned good glass folks!

So let me quickly reiterate what I think about the Leupold Index Matched Lens System, in this optic: It delivers incredible light transmission, edge to edge clarity, and flawless color.

There, I said it twice.

Now, let’s talk about the main reason you, I, or anyone else would be crazy enough to dump $3K+ into an optic. The main reason I wanted it was because of the versatility this scope offers. No doubt, it’s not a small scope, but then again it’s able to replace two other optics at the same time, my Aimpoint on a LaRue mount, and my 2.5-10 Mk4 MR/T illuminated TMR scope w/ARMS rings. So the way I see it, it’s smaller and less to hall around that those two combined so it is a win.

Sure many will argue “but I can have this and that combined.. for the same price!” fair enough, but is it going to be as rugged, as optically excellent, and function as well without the need to use QD rings and worry about losing zero, or be as good at each role?

Let me also talk about the knobs for a moment. They are amazing it offers 10 Mils of travel with each elevation knob revolution with auto-locking pinch and turn adjustment which I am told Leupold is getting a patent on, as they should it’s the only locking adjustment knob that you can rapidly dial your dope into. It really works well and the clicks are firm and audible in 0.10 mil increments.

I really liked the Horus vision H-27D reticule with a cleverly integrated 5 MOA holographic dot. The front-focal plane allows you to zoom out to 1.1 power and the all you can see is the donut and the horizon line.

H-27D models will feature the M118LR 7.62mm BDC dial, and I did not realize this so I had to do my .10 MIL counts to shoot out to 700 yards. It was not a problem for me, it’s just something to be aware of.

What was that you said? “But GlockandRoll, that’s just too expensive.. I can buy this and that” Sure, it’s not cheap – but I’ll argue that a single tool able to perform multiple roles is better than having to swap tools for different roles. That argument holds just as true when you are in a 3-gun match when you have to engage long-range targets just seconds after close-range targets, as it does in life-and death situations. A fitting analogy would be like having a race car w/slicks and rain tires, but in a fantasy world where a single tire was a sticky on dry pavement as the slicks and as good in the rain as the grooved tire. I would have thought it was impossible until I received this scope last week.

Show me another scope that makes a 5MOA holographic donut reticule that’s so bright we had to back it down of it’s highest setting in the South Central Texas sun at high-noon, that you can – with the flick of a wrist – have a 1000+ yard brilliant FFP reticule piece of glass for long range work with edge-to-edge clarity that is this well made at any price, I dare you.

If you are curious about this piece, please check out Leupold’s website for the Mark 8 1.1-8x24mm CQBSS Front Focal scope and tell them GlockandRoll sent you.

http://www.leupold.com/tactical/products/scopes/mark-8-riflescopes/mark-8-1-1-8x24mm-cqbss-front-focal/

I assure you, it is worth checking out.

Leupold-Mark-8-1.1-8-CQBS-picture.jpg

at 250 yards

Leupold-Mark-8-1.1-8-CQBS-picture-reticle-picture-1.jpg

250 yards

Leupold-Mark-8-1.1-8-CQBS-reticle-picture-at-250-yards-illuminated.jpg

1x at 250 yards

Leupold-Mark-8-1.1-8-CQBS-picture-Reticle-picture-2.jpg

500 yards, 8 x, unlit

Leupold-Mark-8-1.1-8-CQBS-Reticle-Picture-500-yards-unlit.jpg

500 yards, 8 x, lit reticle, 1K orange 19" plates in the far background

Leupold-Mark-8-1.1-8-CQBS-reticle-picture-at-500-yards-illuminated.jpg

• 1 month later...

Looks great and maybe some day I could get it but as a college student building a 3gun rig I dont think I can do that... well maybe if I skip the rifle part but that would deffeat the purpose... What other options should I look into? I'll be shooting tac ops... :cheers: thanks and great review!

I borrowed this last year and it is an excellent scope. I know some matches have one or two 4-500 or one even longer target, this scope would be good for that. But in general, it is a sniper scope. The reticle is busy. At CQB distance it is terrible. Especially in Tactical Optics. I would rather use my knuckle and cant my rifle at close up. If you are rich, get one. If it is the only scope you want for 3 Gun-many better options.

Edited by Jadeslade