Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Olympics?

The latest Front Sight has an article about the top guns trying out for Olympic Rapid Fire.  For those who don't know it, think of five PPC targets at 25 meters, fired offhand one handed, one shot each.

Three times, 8,6 & 4 seconds.  Total of 60 rounds.  The top shooters score 590's to win.

The idea is to have the top IPSC shooters try it, since the USOC is always having trouble getting shooters to try out.

It's not like the times, gear or practice is intimidating to IPSC shooters.  $2000 for a gun?  Big deal.  5 shots in 4 seconds, so what?  Practice of 16,000 rounds a year?  Did I mention that Olympic Rapid Fire pistols are compensated .22 shorts?

So, Brian, any interest?

Now, if they'd make it centerfire, or better yet, centerfire from the holster, we'd kick butt.

no prizes, just medals. One should, however, mention that these events are usually won by professional shooters from Eastern Europe who probably practice this about 8 h/day 7 days/week. So...16000 is probably their weekly consumption, not their annual one. Anyone volunteer to go first?

When I last watched it (1972 Olympics in Munich) it was still shot on man-shaped targets (can you believe it????). Even back then I remember very little because I fell asleep with boredom...

--Detlef

A couple of the guys from the AMU tried to recruit me for Rapid fire over the years. I always refused because I know the type of person I am; I would eventually end up not having a life, like all Olympic competitors do. Plus, I found, over the years, that I really enjoy the challenge of never really knowing what to expect, or what you'll have to do until you show up at the match. Although I seemed to excel at repetition drills, after 5 or 6 years I become bored after the original challenge has been replaced by the grind of routine practice.

be

I know what Brian is talking about, I went through the same thing back in my martial arts days.  My (old school) Korean instructor insisted on the two-hour class being an hour and a half of basics and drills, before we worked on sparring.

As a result, we could really kick butt when we went off to tournaments, but walking in the door each night to face another 500 side thrust kicks, followed by 500.....

If the idea is fun, then shooting the Int Rapid Fire 200 times a month would be like buying a condo in the third circle of hell.

I knew I'd take heat on this one. Actually, I have seen the top guys shoot some little tiny groups. What I am referring to is the specialized training, desire, mind set, and so forth that it takes to win a Gold Medal. Back in the old days I had the pleasure of shooting against the likes of Frank Green and some of the other guys from Colorado Springs and they are a different breed.  

Personally, I'd love to see Robbie, Jerry, and Todd (or something like that) make a clean sweep. I have the highest respect for IPSC shooters and I do believe that the most talented all around shooters in the world come from "our" ranks. But there are factors other than shooting skill that enter into the picture. I sincerely hope that I am absolutely full of $hit on this topic, but I don't think so.

I think they might do well..it just depends on how the rest of their lives go...the facility here in Colorado Springs is very nice, but guys like Doug, Robbie, Todd, Brian, etc. have lots to do in the rest of their lives that actually make money..Our programs here are not really set to pay the athletes. Why do you think we now let NBA and NHL players play for teams..

One of the reason I read about wanting to invite these guys is the amount of trigger time they already have and do, and the amount of match pressure they have shot under...

A great deal of the training here is with sport psychologists and mental training..So I guess they feel these guys will have a slight advantage over looking for kids with none of this behind them..anyway..I may be out in left field..

• 1 month later...

I heard (3rd hand) that they all did really well.  Doug Koenig was a no show, but was secretly practicing at home.  Jerry Miculek was shooting as fast as he can reload the gun.  Bruce Gray's worst 6 scores would have qualified for the Olympic team, his best 6 would have broken the National record.

I guess IPSC shooters do know a thing or two about shooting.