Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.215 or .245 on my G17

Xander

Without benching your gun there's really no way for us to answer that question. While most people do wind up going .215", personally I'm one of those people who had to have the .245" to give perfect POI/POA. Just how, and where, a gun hits for elevation has a lot to do with how hard you grip the gun. The gun, and therefore the barrel, is moving as the bullet travels down the bore. The less the gun moves, the lower the bullet will hit at distance and vice versa: the more it moves the higher it will hit. This is dependent on your own individual grip and grip pressure. There's no way for us to predict over the Internet, "Ah yes, the .215" is the one for you." You have to actually get out there and find out for yourself. Sorry. There are a lot of questions we can answer for folks over the 'net, and some we can't. Unfortunately this is one of the latter.

Xander,

thanks for asking this question as I have a new G17 that I will likely be installing a W/S sight set on and was deliberating on the same thing (front sight height). Unfortunately with fixed rear on this setup, we will have to do some trial and error till it's dialed in. With all the rage on the W/S sights, sounds like it's worth going down that path.

C.

...forgot to mention that DP will give half off on "vendor" front sight (non-DP) exchange until you are properly zeroed (if it's a DP sight, they will swap out front for free, probably have to eat shipping, till you are zeroed). Either way, good deal IMO. If the .215 or .245 doesn't work for you, DP makes a .225 and .235 as well. I've read a few posts where guys preffered one of those two for their application.

C.

Cool :) Although I have tried a .245 on my G34 and G17 before, I could hit 6" and 8" plates at 25-30m about an inch top of the center with it. I already ordered the .215 sight set at cpwsa, and I hope I'll get comfortable with it. I might also get a .235 as a standby if ever :)

• 2 weeks later...

I ran a .245" on both my G17 and G34, and both hit POI/POA at 50 feet from the bench. But that's just me.

Ditto. The .245 height worked on my G17 and works on my G34 for POA/POI just like the factory (shite) sights.

Edited by JaeOne3345

• 1 month later...

I ran a .245" on both my G17 and G34, and both hit POI/POA at 50 feet from the bench. But that's just me.

Ditto. The .245 height worked on my G17 and works on my G34 for POA/POI just like the factory (shite) sights.

wait what? factory sights are six o' clock correct?

It's also dependent on your load. Different bullet weights (and sometimes profiles, thanks to the contact surface with the rifling) can show a vertical shift.

IIRC, you'll get higher impacts with 147s than you would with 115s, in 9mm. Don't quote me on that though-- it could be the opposite.

FWIW, I have .215 Sevigny's on mine and it shoots POA/POI at 25 yards with a fairly wide range of 124 grain boolits. I never really benched it with 115s, but it never struck me as "off". And I've never tried 147s.

As others have said, it's going to be specific to you. Get out and try it, and go from there.