Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack Classic Caliber Choice

Chuck D

Another problem with shooting minor that  is virtually impossible to overcome is that, during the course of a typical match, you are always going to have to shoot targets with less than a "favorable" A box area. This includes targets at distance as well as no-shoots, baricaded targets, swingers, droppers, floppers, bobbers - whatever - you are going to shoot shots that are not A's no matter who you are. Even if that is your only problem, it's a big one.

be

This really has nothing to do with pistols, but from my experience with target archery, many of the indoor archers I knew who shot on local and states levels, liked using large diameter aluminum tubes (24-26mm).  We called them "line-cutters, b/c archery targets are scored the same as IPSC paper, the higher of the two.  I could see where an extra .051" might make a difference to a marginal shooter.

Ghost Dog, you hit the nail on the head on the less A zone scoring area.  I've been shooting production a lot lately and even when I'm on my game I'm giving up a lot of points.  A guy who makes master shooting a true production gun i.e. Ernest Langdon with his Berreta, can really shoot.

OK, the Minor shooter really takes it in the shorts because of the scoring disparity.

Rather than go by tradition, and score Major 5/4/2 and Minor 5/3/1, what should the scoring be, using real-world terminal performance as a guide?

When you consider terminal performance, compare like to like.  Don't use .45 hardball and a 9x23 or 9x19 +P+ loaded with XTP's.

Its a game, I think IPSC should pick one PF that most guns can reasonably hit. Say about 120 like Action Pistol and Steel Challenge. And not worry about it or all the problems and arguements it creates. You either make it, or you get no score.

Pat

Heresy!  Burn the heretic!  But if we're going to do that, use a reasonable PF like 150.  9mm's can make it, .45's can throttle back without any problems, and it represents a reasonable amount of recoil to deal with.  If we're going to go to 120 we might as well just shoot 22lr's.

Pat,

I agree! In open it doesn't mean dick! My gun shooting a 180 PF is as soft as a 9mm shooting a 125 PF. With the comps and technology out today the PF doesn't really play a part in the whole equation. It all comes down to having the load tailored to your gun. The PF serves to beat up guns and use more powder.

But what about the 6" long slide Robbie, was using?  Was the slide trim for weight?  There have been topic's posted about 6" limited gun before and not many people thought that they would fly!

Now Robbie used one.  Will there be more interest in 6" guns.

After seeing the 6" hi-cap built by Benny Hill, I thought a 6" in a single stack might be good way to go.  

What do you guys think?   thanks

I had the opportunity to talk to Robbie about his six inch. And he said it was just a standard Springfield Trophy Match, nothing trick. He put a mag funnel and an extended magazine release button on it, other than that it was totally stock. Running the loads he was using, with the 6" slide, he did have to put a 12-pound recoil spring in the gun to get it to cycle. He's shooting the 6" just to see if he likes it, and, as he put it, "If I decide I like it, then I'll get myself something trick."

I have shot the fabled rob leatham six inch .45 trophy match.  It's pretty cool for a stock gun.  I think I prefer a 5 inch gun though.  Maybe just because I am used to a 5 inch but I like the snappier feeling.  Rob actually has 2 six inchers, one w/ a 12 lb spring and another w/ a heavier (16 or 18 I think) spring.  The 12 lb spring was my favorite - noticably snappier.  Neither was trimmed of any weight.   I only put about 75 rounds through them, not enough to make any definitive conclusions but I'm not about to make any changes.

I've spoken to Robbie several times recently about his new long-slides. He says that the only reason he feels he's shooting them so well is that they "time" better than his 5" guns. I know what he is saying, but I'm not sure why it would be true. We talked about shooting some "definitive tests" with both guns and see what comes. I'll keep you posted if it happens.

be

• 3 months later...

More single stack matches can only be a good thing(hell, more matches period can only be a good thing). However single stack matches in paticular make the guys with carry 1911s take notice. It'd be cool to get one going in the Mid-Atlantic, but right now Fredricksburg(the only good place to have one in VA) is undergoing some membership problems. Hey Chris, anyone in PA willing to get one started?

• 1 month later...