Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2012 Ohio Section Championship

• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I didnt think the memory stage was that bad. Granted I walked it for about an hour the day before I shot it.

Not bad at all, it only took you an hour to figure it out... :cheers:

I bet a lot of folks got their 5 minutes and crashed.

I didnt think the memory stage was that bad. Granted I walked it for about an hour the day before I shot it.

I agree.....Just too sometime to figure it out... The colored posts next to the targets were your friend !!!

As the Ohio Section Coordinator, I made one request to the Match Director when approving his club to host the 2012 match...I requested no memory stages.

Ohio isn't known for having them (I know...since I worked for most of the last decade to keep them out). They favor the locals quite a bit, and also those that travel an extra day to walk the stages for hours (which is fine...except we run a one day match, basically...part of that being so that folks don't have to burn an extra travel day).

Memory stages carry too much weight in the match.

As the Ohio Section Coordinator, I made one request to the Match Director when approving his club to host the 2012 match...I requested no memory stages.

Ohio isn't known for having them (I know...since I worked for most of the last decade to keep them out). They favor the locals quite a bit, and also those that travel an extra day to walk the stages for hours (which is fine...except we run a one day match, basically...part of that being so that folks don't have to burn an extra travel day).

Thanks Kyle !!

You're all right, I ought not to talk about you like I do.....

While I concur fully and appreciate your view. I can only imagine how bad I would have done had I not seen it in advance. I helped set it up and still missed a target for crying out loud!wacko.gif

While I concur fully and appreciate your view. I can only imagine how bad I would have done had I not seen it in advance. I helped set it up and still missed a target for crying out loud!wacko.gif

Yeah...which kinda shows my point.

=================

BTW...it was a request I gave to the Match Director. It wasn't a mandate or a condition or any such thing. I didn't feel it was my place to make it such. I have always felt the Match Director ought to be free to direct his/her match...within the rules.

BOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! <_<

:rolleyes:

I had 5 minutes, plus a few shooters before me. And crashed. No penalties, but 4 or 5 seconds off the pace. In SS that was a crashed stage.

I loathe memory stages to a point that I consider not attending matches that have them, if I can't get there the day before to go over them. TN had two of them. One I studied, the other I didn't (didn't know it was a memory stage). I smoked one, bombed the other. Just like OH, it nearly changed the outcome of HOA. There is no way to train for the various memory stages I've seen. The only way to do well on them is to allow 1-2 hours (each) to go over them. It takes a team effort as well.

I know you like them Chris, but they serve no purpose other than to give a home field advantage. If I have enough time to develope a solid plan, then the point of the memory stage is moot.

The hill was no problem, Chris Keen's memory stage was the worse (best) I've ever shot. Please keep that man away from stage input. Lol.

I just don't have the memory.

Chris set up an approximate version of the memory stage the prior year at a local match. Once you figure out your visual cues it isn't so bad.

I did rather well on the one talked about here. That part that I actually finished, of course! LOL

Edited by jualdeaux

Every stage is a memory stage. To shoot a really great score, you'll need to memorize where every target is. If you're waiting till you see targets, to engage them, then you're not shooting to the maximum of your ability. A memory stage is like any other stage. Just a little more condensed, that's all.

I don't see how it's a "home field advantage" thing ........ If you can't get there the day before to walk the stages, why not show up an hour early of the day you have to shoot and go check out the stages? That's all I did. Walked all the stages the morning of staff shoot day, and had a really good run. I spent no more than 30 minutes walking that stage.

A failure on the shooters behalf to plan ahead should not be a reason to hold back and compromise stage design.

I don't really like standards stages ........... so should I boycott all matches with standards ? :closedeyes:

Every stage is a memory stage. To shoot a really great score, you'll need to memorize where every target is. If you're waiting till you see targets, to engage them, then you're not shooting to the maximum of your ability. A memory stage is like any other stage. Just a little more condensed, that's all.

I don't see how it's a "home field advantage" thing ........ If you can't get there the day before to walk the stages, why not show up an hour early of the day you have to shoot and go check out the stages? That's all I did. Walked all the stages the morning of staff shoot day, and had a really good run. I spent no more than 30 minutes walking that stage.

A failure on the shooters behalf to plan ahead should not be a reason to hold back and compromise stage design.

I don't really like standards stages ........... so should I boycott all matches with standards ? :closedeyes:

Memory stages are fine to have in a match

as for home field advantage couldn't that be said about every stage staff shoots?

if people think that it is such an advantage then why don't they show up as staff and set up stages?

I don't like standard stages either, I think having multiple standards and classifiers in Section and Area matches is silly

Its one thing when you have a memory stage where you can see the targets through the walls, you just have to remember when and where to shoot what so you don't shoot one more than once or think you have shot one when you didn't. Or a memory stage where there are visual cues but you can't see the targets through the walls. From what I could tell you had neither on that stage. Sure you had red and white post but they were red and white in order so it didn't help, as far as I could tell.

As far as showing up early if we showed up early we would have had to leave the house about 3 hours earlier. From what we saw online there wasn't anything we REALLY needed to go over because we did get there early enough to look at the stages but just didn't have the time to go over that one. Sure I guess we could have spent the money and got a hotel room so we would have been closer but in this economy we are trying to save money.

As far as saying why don't people show up and help set up stages, the guys that are fussing about it do show up and help setup stages every month if not weekly and the majors that are close enough as well so don't try to say its a lack of work on their part. Its just not possible financially for us to help setup every major we shoot.

In the end it doesn't matter what we think all that matters is what Dan thinks. He is a big boy and can run his match how ever he wants to run it. If he wants to have a memory stage then he'll have a memory stage and those that want to shoot it will and those that don't won't.

I had 5 minutes, plus a few shooters before me. And crashed. No penalties, but 4 or 5 seconds off the pace. In SS that was a crashed stage.

I loathe memory stages to a point that I consider not attending matches that have them, if I can't get there the day before to go over them. TN had two of them. One I studied, the other I didn't (didn't know it was a memory stage). I smoked one, bombed the other. Just like OH, it nearly changed the outcome of HOA. There is no way to train for the various memory stages I've seen. The only way to do well on them is to allow 1-2 hours (each) to go over them. It takes a team effort as well.

I know you like them Chris, but they serve no purpose other than to give a home field advantage. If I have enough time to develope a solid plan, then the point of the memory stage is moot.

Well you still have to execute the plan ...... :)

Either way that was just a type of stage I wanted to run once, and now that I have that out of my system ..... I have no idea what Dan has in mind for stages, so ....... wait and see, I suppose.

Chris your stage appears to have made an impression. :goof:

Folks I have no idea what the stages are going to be yet. I, for one, hate stages like that.....when I don't shoot them well. Some people hate swingers or Texas Stars. Should we leave them out as well? Stages like this is one way a "B" class shooter can best Master class shooters if they put in the work. We can do this all day long but in the end we all have seen stages we come to and go "What the hell!". Look at the stage, come up with a plan and then shoot to your ability.

As far as having a classifier at majors I have to say that I am in favor of them and we will have one at this match. Let's face it, one stage isn't going to sway the outcome of most matches but for the sandbaggers it may give them pause about tanking a stage just to stay in "B" class.

We had a few issues this year and most of them were not stage related. We are doing our best to make sure the issues we heard about (like the hill from hell) are taken care of for this and future matches. We want you folks to enjoy the match and want to return. I will take any ideas or suggestions into account.

Matches with many standard stages are not that fun either. Single Stack Nationals, 1 round stage. But you can practice skills used for ALL standard stages. You can practice swingers and Stars, not as easily but if you shoot club matches you will see them.

There is an advantage for the set up crew and staff that are local. That's the bonus for volunteering your time to help with the match. Not always, the MD rarely has time to load mags before the stage, nevermind doping them early.

The execution of a plan is the same on every stage. Yes, every stage requires memorization. Corey already touched on the differences of a "memory" stage.

This years match was one of my favorites, by far. The stages were fantastic and fun, please don't think I'm picking on it or the staff. I'm sure next years will be even better!

As one of the people who ran shooters through that stage, and built it, I can say I really did not hear bad comments about it. In fact the vast majority of shooters thought it was pretty neat. Also, most of the people that shot it well were B or below. Not sure why.

I'm B class Open. It was my best stage of the match. 20.54 seconds down 3 points. Finished 9th.

Looking forward to what Dan and the boys from Miami R&P have in store for next year. I understand Matt Cheely will be building a few guns for the 2012 event. You can bet that the crew from Detroit will be there again.

HH

Edited by HoldHard