Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which commercial .40 ammo for a compensated pistol?

After a lot of reading, I can't seem to find the answer to this question. "What is the best production ammo to use in a compensated pistol?" I am not set up to reload so I am looking for ammo that will make the most of the compensator I put on an aftermarket barrel in my G35. I am hesitant to call it an open pistol. At this point it is more just an experiment. I mainly shoot steel challenge and USPSA with it. I know the comp put me in Open and I am willing to learn to live with the humility this is going to teach me. Which brings me back to the question, is there viable commercial ammo that will do what I need/want, or should I befriend a reloader and see if they would be willing to teach me enough not to damage anything and try loading my own?

Thanks in advance,

--Chris

based on how it felt and the muzzel flash, Id bet CCI blazer brass 165's are loaded with fairly slow powder, velocity is kinda high though. I found American Eagle 165 gr to be the lightest recoiling factory Ammo. It comes in at 1050 from a 5" Para barrel

I did quite a bit of looking at factory loads for my Modified gun (Match Ammo, you know). It's tough to tell the difference between factory loads with the same bullet weight, up until you get into the hotter defen$$e loads.

I'd get WWB 165 from Wally World and call it good.

The lighter the bullet the higher the velocity, the better the comp should work. You notice I said should not would! I have a .45 comp gun that was built BF (Before forty) and the comp seems to work best with 152 gr. bullets @ 175+ PF.

FWIW

Richard

Thanks for all the input. I will give the CCI Blazers a shot (pun intended). I watched an open gun at a recent steel shoot. It was getting near dusk and the flame out of the top of the comp was pretty impressive.

Is there any way to verify what powder the various manufacturers use in their loads?

btw, MANY boxes of WWB 165s have found their way through the comp. I don't know that I will be able to feel or much less utilize the difference of a load that is optimized to produce more gas for the comp, but I do want to give it a try.

based on how it felt and the muzzel flash, Id bet CCI blazer brass 165's are loaded with fairly slow powder, velocity is kinda high though. I found American Eagle 165 gr to be the lightest recoiling factory Ammo. It comes in at 1050 from a 5" Para barrel

+1 American Eagle then wwb...