Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"gamer" vs. carry rig - some numbers

C.W.

Does anyone else here exclusively compete with their carry gun/holster?

Yup, USPSA/IDPA convinced me not to carry small guns, so I carry my XDms now - and carried full-size 1911s when I competed w. those. (Remora holsters make such things fairly easy...)

Well I started shooting USPSA and IDPA both this year. My feeling was similar to others in that I shoot some variation of race gun in USPSA and my carry gun in IDPA. In this case my carry gun is an HK USP Compact in 357 Sig I shoot in SSP, using either a Blackhawk or Bianchi holster. For economy's sake I put a 9mm barrel in it so I can do reloads if I feel like doing them. I could have dumbed down my Bul M-5 Limited gun and shot a better score in my 2nd event, a classifier match, but decided what would be the purpose in that. SS in SSP puts me about right where I want to start anyway. I have shot the HK in a few club steel matches using full power factory 357 Sig loads. If I upgrade my carry gun I will shoot that. I was offered a 9mm Para 1911 by another club member to buy and maybe but I don't like carrying a full size gun. Even the HK is kind of fat. I could also shoot my 9mm Browning HP which I do like to carry also (love the gun but hate the sights).

Edited by photoracer

I compete with my carry guns. I alternate from match to match. I'm an leo, so one month I'll run my duty gear (Glock 22) and the next month I'll run my off-duty gear (Glock 23). My off-duty gear is a Raven Concealment OWB holster and mag pouches by Tactical Kydex. Duty gear is all Safariland with a 6280 SLS duty holster. No modifications to either gun and they both have night sights. I finish in about the same place with either rig, but duty gear is slower on the reloads considering my mag pouches have covers with snap closures.

• 1 month later...

I have seriously considered just carrying my Brazos Limited gun. I use a Super Hooper holster. The gun runs and I shoot it well. I don't even mind the weight. But the thing that stops me is if I ever get in and win a gun fight the thought of turning that over the police for the investigation is a thought I simply cannot bear.