Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bear Trap

i am looking through the stages for the Open Nationals and i see references to "bear traps" targets. i am wondering if these are the same as what we call clams up here. the way the clams works is something activates it and the back target starts to raise. once it is up about 30 degrees it activates the front target that is usually a no shot. you are usually ended up with a partial covered target when everything quits moving. is a bear trap the same? if not how does it work?

Clam shells and bear traps are different. I don't know which is which though. lol

- One works as suggested in the opening post, probably a bear trap, ...where a target comes up from horizontal/back, and triggers a NS that comes up in front of it from horizontal/front.

- The other, probably a clam shell, has the shoot target static, the NS is already in front of it, when activated, the NS flops forward and out of the way (where the weight falls off), and then returns to cover the shoot target again.

Flex, we call those appearing/disappearing targets. we don't use them much up here since there are no penalties for not engaging a disappearing target all you have to do is activate it.

Ok, i am going to plan on the assumption that bear traps and clam shells are the same. i am just trying to rough out plans on how to shoot the stages that will of course change once i actually see the stages.

Flex, we call those appearing/disappearing targets. we don't use them much up here since there are no penalties for not engaging a disappearing target all you have to do is activate it.

Ok, i am going to plan on the assumption that bear traps and clam shells are the same. i am just trying to rough out plans on how to shoot the stages that will of course change once i actually see the stages.

Keep in mind the targets could be set so that a portion of the A zone is left and not considered a disappearing target after activation.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

It would appear that stage 6 has a Max Trap, which is called that on the diagram. Stage 20 appears to have what most of us would refer to as a Clam Shell, but they call it a Bear Trap. Appearances are also that the heads will remain available after activation because there is no notation of any target disappearing.

ok so what is a Max Trap?

Target is obscured in the start position. Upon engagement of the activator the front NS target drops away for a brief period of time exposing the shoot target. The usual practice is a weight will fall off the front NS target when it tips fully to the front, at which point it comes back up to obscure the shoot target again.

Edited by Poppa Bear

• 4 weeks later...

ok so what is a Max Trap?

Target is obscured in the start position. Upon engagement of the activator the front NS target drops away for a brief period of time exposing the shoot target. The usual practice is a weight will fall off the front NS target when it tips fully to the front, at which point it comes back up to obscure the shoot target again.

And they are merciless beasts...

At the Limited/Prod Nationals, they were set up so that only HALF of the upper-A/B zone was visible after the thing was at rest. The appearance was very fast, so most guys ended up having to take said shot.

The speed of a Max Trap is adjustable. If the weight that falls off is put out towards the end of its rod, it causes the target to open faster, but the weight also falls off earlier and closes it faster.

I hated it, but I'm buying one for our club. What does that say? ;)

My last stage, second target, 1 Alpha, 1 Mike, 1 No Shoot on the Bear. Merciless beasts is an understatement. It was extremely fast.

The head shot on the clam shell was 2 Alphas.

I dipped my sights on the second shot and nailed the No Shoot. We do not have them at our club so I am not familiar with shooting them. I thought I was going to shoot high, oops.

My last stage, second target, 1 Alpha, 1 Mike, 1 No Shoot on the Bear. Merciless beasts is an understatement. It was extremely fast.

The head shot on the clam shell was 2 Alphas.

I dipped my sights on the second shot and nailed the No Shoot. We do not have them at our club so I am not familiar with shooting them. I thought I was going to shoot high, oops.

I feel your pain. Same thing; same target.

The only saving grace for me was that this debacle was intertwined with the rest of the day which was known to me as "Suck Day 2". Did well on the first day; did well on the third. The Second Day...not so much.

I shot several Bear Trap No Shoots before the message got through: The rushed double tap is not your friend!

BB