Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45LC and .45acp out of the same revovler

redbird1976

I debated doing this to mine, but decided not to. The recut cylinder would not work with standard .45 ACP moonclips, but a much more expensive thinner one; TK Custom sells the moonclips. Of course, you'd need different moonclips for the Colt and ACP. Also, the two loads (at least my loads) are highly unlikely to shoot to the same point of aim, so the sights would need to be adjusted every time you switched. I solved the dilemma by buying a friends 625JM. A new gun is the best answer to any question :P

I could be mistaken here but I think the special think clips are only required if you are planning to moon up the .45lc loads. Can't you get it cut just for the .45acp moons? Then the lc loads could be individually loaded, not mooned, and the acp loads placed in moons.

-ld

If the cylinder is counterbored for the regular ACP clips with a rim of the original height around the edge, you can use the rimmed Long Colt individually or with speedloaders and the ACP on normal cheap moonclips.

That would seem logical, but TK Custom sells special .031" (rather than the standard .040) .45 ACP moon clips specifically for S&W 625 .45 Colt cylinders cut to use moonclips. Their moonclips for the .45 Colt are .025". Maybe I'm misunderstanding something. Maybe they can't machine off that last bit to allow a .040 clip without removing too much thickness off the extractor?

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't recommend the conversion because of potential accuracy problems with .45 ACP. Using the .45 ACP in the longer Colt chamber means that bullets of 230 grain and less will make a jump from the cartridge case to the cylinder throat, and in that unsupported space, the bullet can tilt slightly and be forced into an unbalanced condition in the throat and forcing cone. Most folks who have done the conversion see some accuracy reduction. Lower quality bullets that aren't rotationally symmetrical see a lot more. I have heard of bullets key-holing at 15 feet in the worst case. Jacketed bullets will be somewhat better than lead.

The best way, if you have to have one gun shooting both cartridges, is to fit a second .45 ACP cylinder and crane to the .45 Colt frame. Quick to change, and no accuracy deterioration, either.

Buck