Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Someone take a look at this please

SERVED_USMC

Heres the load.

4.5gr Titegroup

180 Berry plates

1.155 OAL

Shooting a 4" M&P .40. I dont have a reloading book that lists Titegroup as an option with this type of powder. It a Hornady book and they only list their rounds. Should this (in theory) make major PF. Does my OAL look right? Thanks a lot for the help guys, I can always use it.

P.S.- I just got my reloader setup this weekend and this is the first batch that I have ran through it, had no time to chrono.

Hodgdon lists this on their site.

180 GR. HDY XTP Hodgdon Titegroup .400" 1.125" 4.2 877 26,500 PSI 4.7 978 33,300 PSI

Remember, that's for a jacketed bullet. So, a plated bullet should take less to reach the same velocity.

I'd say for a local, you'd be fine.

But definitely chrono before a major.

Excellent. Thanks Roberts, for the info. Ive got a USPSA and a multigun match on Sunday. Ill see how these work out and go from there. Whether that means fine tune what I have going so far, or go to a completely different bullet is yet to be seen. Ill report back after the match.

Heres the short from today: All ammo functioned fine, however, the bullets were tumbling something fierce. Not sure what the issue is as of yet. I decreased the OAL to 1.125" after seeing thats what the majority of load recipes called for, so I will try to take them to the original length and see if there is further issue. This was the only problem I had today, so I dont consider it a total failure. Placed 3rd at the USPSA match and 2nd in the 3gun match. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Heres the short from today: All ammo functioned fine, however, the bullets were tumbling something fierce. Not sure what the issue is as of yet. I decreased the OAL to 1.125" after seeing thats what the majority of load recipes called for, so I will try to take them to the original length and see if there is further issue. This was the only problem I had today, so I dont consider it a total failure. Placed 3rd at the USPSA match and 2nd in the 3gun match. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

I've seen a lot of plated bullets tumble due to too much crimp. I've read about some guys having plated bullets that were slightly undersized, causing them to tumble, but, I've never had a batch that was undersized.

Good, jacketed bullets are $100-$125 per thousand and I'll only use plated if I find them considerably less expensive.

I had a few of the seasoned guys take a look at my reloads yesterday. They all seemed to think there wasnt enough crimp on them. I had done some research before I started and saw a lot of instances were guys were putting to much and causing an issue. I dont think this is the problem though.

I had a few of the seasoned guys take a look at my reloads yesterday. They all seemed to think there wasnt enough crimp on them. I had done some research before I started and saw a lot of instances were guys were putting to much and causing an issue. I dont think this is the problem though.

Especially with plated bullets, I only crimp enough, so that when you hold a straight edge next to it, there's no "bell". If that's about what you have for crimp, I'd mic the diameter of the bullet. :cheers: