Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flash hider/comp POI

kamikaze1a

Has anyone else compared POI change after installing a flash hider or comp? I bought an AR and I was disappointed when I found 2-3 MOA no matter what load I tried. Someone here suggested trying without the comp and when I tried, the groups shrank by 50% but noticeably more muzzle rise. I started shooting with a thread protector and also found that an A1 hider did not affect the groups or POI. Later tried an A2 flash hider that does not have slots all the way around and it moved my POI up almost 2 MOA and even more at 200. Recently, I tried a couple of comps and like the reduction in muzzle rise but again seeing higher POI and slightly more open groups.

Anyone else getting similar results with comps? Thinking that for 3gun, the reduced muzzle rise outweighs the slightly bigger groups and POA adjustment.

I tried the Miculek and Battlecomp...

My Sabre M4 was sighted in with an A2 flash hider and later I added a PRI MSTN QC Brake. POI dropped about 3" at 200 yards but group size (4" with Aimpoint CompM4 2 moa dot) remained constant. When I bought my Sabre 18" piston upper I installed the same brake before I ever fired it. It shoots 200 yard groups in the 2.5" to 3" range with a Millet DMS-1 4x circle/dot reticle. Ammo for both is Federal XM193.

I am loving this brake! Very near neutral muzzle rise on both guns and MUCH less blast (to the shooter) than others I've experienced.

Shot more groups over the weekend. The comp definitely opened up the groups a bit but still accurate enough for most 3gun applications. Thinking that the reduced muzzle rise outweighs the bigger groups and will give a good workout before I decide if I want to switch back to the birdcage.

As for the Battlecomp, noticeably less blast than the Miculek. The Miculek blew my tablet and empty ammo cases off the bench whereas the Battlecomp with it's smaller ports, diffuses the pressure wave...difference between the two in terms of recoil and muzzle rise negligible.

Any time you change/add something metal to the end of your barrel, you have the potential to change the harmonics of your barrel. This can change your POI, or can make you shots inconsistent.

I think it goes beyond adding something metal. Basically any change could affect your POI... My point was that I am surprised that so many choose to run comps in spite of the negative impact on groups...or do some comps not affect bullet groupings or do some impact less?

Any time you change/add something metal to the end of your barrel, you have the potential to change the harmonics of your barrel. This can change your POI, or can make you shots inconsistent.

I think it goes beyond adding something metal. Basically any change could affect your POI... My point was that I am surprised that so many choose to run comps in spite of the negative impact on groups...or do some comps not affect bullet groupings or do some impact less?

As I stated above...the comp I use did change my POI but not my group size. I'm getting very close to MOA at 200 yards with XM193 ammo. I can't ask for much better without reloading.

That particular "MOA" at 200 yards is way better than some people can shoot!

In defense of the group size (actually closer to 1.5 MOA)...I used to shoot a LOT of Long Range Precision Rifle and I'm really comfortable off the bags. But the key point is there are comps and brakes that will allow you to hold groups. If I had one that didn't I would be shopping for one that did.

That particular "MOA" at 200 yards is way better than some people can shoot!

In defense of the group size (actually closer to 1.5 MOA)...I used to shoot a LOT of Long Range Precision Rifle and I'm really comfortable off the bags. But the key point is there are comps and brakes that will allow you to hold groups. If I had one that didn't I would be shopping for one that did.

Thanks for the info! What comp do you like? I tried the Miculek, KKF and Battlecomp so far. Don't see comp manufacturer promoting anything but the recoil or muzzle rise reduction. Thinking this might be like performance tires, better handling usually means stiffer ride...

I like this one...have it on 3 rifles so far and all shoot well with it. It reduces (doesn't eliminate) recoil but tames muzzle rise very well and my rifles shoot flat with it. I've put it on a 20" RR Coyote, an 18" Sabre Competition Deluxe Piston and a Sabre M4 Tactical...they all like it. Your results may vary of course.

I don't care for the washers they send with it...too big on the ID so they don't center well without help...so I used a crush washer on the last one of mine with excellent results. A peel washer would probably work well too.

http://www.precisionreflex.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=186719&CAT=4274

Edited by MTSCMike