Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9MM Extractor Tension

larry1096

I've got a 9mm 1911 (Spartan) that I'm having some issues with. Some are almost surely magazine related, some I'm not too sure about.

Going through the gun, I found what I considered a 'loose' (undertensioned) extractor, but I've only ever built .45's in the past. Do you look for about the same or (I'm assuming) less tension on the case of a 9mm compared to a .45 1911? I typically want the extractor in a .45 to firmly hold the case against the breechface, but allow it to slide smoothly out from under it when pushed down. Is that about the same for a 9mm?

For the record, the gun (when it runs, which is about half the time with 10 round mags) shoots like a house on fire...

Thanks,

Larry

Curious to hear some input on this topic myself.

I've been dealing with some Failure to Extract issues in my 9mm Spartan(10rd Tripp Mags) recently I'm trying to diagnose.

• Started chamber checking every round(EGW 7-Round Case Guage)

• Striped and Cleaned the Extractor which was very snugly fit)

Starting to wonder if the tension is correct on the Extractor or if my chamber is a bit rough holding up random rounds.

I've got a 9mm 1911 (Spartan) that I'm having some issues with. Some are almost surely magazine related, some I'm not too sure about.

Going through the gun, I found what I considered a 'loose' (undertensioned) extractor, but I've only ever built .45's in the past. Do you look for about the same or (I'm assuming) less tension on the case of a 9mm compared to a .45 1911? I typically want the extractor in a .45 to firmly hold the case against the breechface, but allow it to slide smoothly out from under it when pushed down. Is that about the same for a 9mm?

For the record, the gun (when it runs, which is about half the time with 10 round mags) shoots like a house on fire...

Thanks,

Larry

Run about the same tension, but if anything lean towards more than a .45. (you have less engagement on a 9) that said it still has to feed so not too much.

Hard to say about your gun specifically as you don't say what's not working.

Thanks,

Larry

Is it failing to feed ? Fail to eject? fail to extract?

I took the advise of my gunsmith when first getting my Spartan 9mm regarding the extraction. If it holds a case pretty level on the breachface leave it alone.... until you actually have an issue. 4-5K later no issues yet have arised.

Secondly the OP didn't mention but if your shooting reloads make sure to respring the gun accordingly.

Edited by Boxerglocker

Thanks,

Larry

Is it failing to feed ? Fail to eject? fail to extract?

That would help, wouldn't it? :)

The gun was running well with the original 9 rounder, but has had various problems since switching to Tripp 10 rounders. Lots of double-feeds, which I've addressed (with Virgil Tripp's advice) by tightening up the feed lips on the mags. Now I'm finding what I think are failures to extract (it's only happened in matches, so it's a blur...) so I'm looking at the extractor.

Right now, I've got the casing held not-too-firmly against the breechface, but sliding very easily under the extractor. I've lightly beveled the leading edge of the extractor (like I do on any other 1911) and polished the contact areas.

I will give it a shot (hah!) and adjust. Thanks for the info-

Larry

Edited by DT Guy

My 9mm Kimber started off great but after 200 or so rounds it started double feeding which I finally realized it was a failure to extract and no amount of factory ammo or combo of mags made any difference. To me the extractor seemed to hold a round in place like everybody said to for and there was no damage to it so I compared the tension to what I had in my 9mm XD tactical and it was way less. After learning how to adjust the tension I adjusted it to match the XD and low and behold I had a dependable 9mm 1911, awesome! Many thousands of rounds later it's working like it's supposed to. Since then I purchased a extractor tension jig and tension gage set from Brownells to have a way to test the extractor and I do test it from time to time but it has not changed. I'm sure there is a "proper" tension but for now its a copy of my XD.

Thanks,

Larry

I have a 9mm STI Trojan and I have found the best extractor tension to be about 12 - 16 ounces measured using a weigand gauge pulled straight down with a precise trigger pull gauge to measure the force.

You should also make sure the hook tip is sharp and square and not rounded off.

9mm feeding into a 1911 is always going to be cranky (because it's s single stack mag). The tapered case of the 9mm means the nose doesn't stay up well and you often get "nose dive" jams on the first or second round off the stack. I have also found the ten round mags to be a lot more cranky than the 9 round Mec Gars which feed better.

Edited by bountyhunter

Thanks,

Larry

I have a 9mm STI Trojan and I have found the best extractor tension to be about 12 - 16 ounces measured using a weigand gauge pulled straight down with a precise trigger pull gauge to measure the force.

You should also make sure the hook tip is sharp and square and not rounded off.

9mm feeding into a 1911 is always going to be cranky (because it's s single stack mag). The tapered case of the 9mm means the nose doesn't stay up well and you often get "nose dive" jams on the first or second round off the stack. I have also found the ten round mags to be a lot more cranky than the 9 round Mec Gars which feed better.

Yes, I'm learning that a 10 round 9mm that runs might be more rare than I originally suspected; I don't have a gauge, but have varied from 'far too little' to 'too stiff to feed' tension in small increments, and it's still leaving casings in the gun. The extractor has been deburred on its leading face, and I can't really find anything else to tweak.

I haven't had a 1911 stump me like this in quite some time....

Thanks,

Larry

how is it staying in the gun? stove pipe, or staying in the chamber?

mine stayed in the chamber. case guage the ammo to see if the brass is being resized accordingly, egw u-die corrected my issue. after changing ejectors, extractors, mag springs, followers etc. with no success

how is it staying in the gun? stove pipe, or staying in the chamber?

mine stayed in the chamber. case guage the ammo to see if the brass is being resized accordingly, egw u-die corrected my issue. after changing ejectors, extractors, mag springs, followers etc. with no success

Staying in the chamber; happens with WWB and Federal bulk factory 9mm, so I'm guessing sizing isn't an issue.

I did notice in dry testing that the extractor is holding the case just slightly away from the breechface. When tight enough to hold the case, the area of the rim away from the extractor is touching the breech, but the extractor side is a few hundredths away...is that typical?

It could also be a problem with the chamber of the barrel... Or the case coming back and bumping the nose of the extractor and pushing it off the rim. If this is the case you should be able to see a mark on the base of the brass ahead of the rim.

Edited by Powder River

It could also be a problem with the chamber of the barrel... Or the case coming back and bumping the nose of the extractor and pushing it off the rim. If this is the case you should be able to see a mark on the base of the brass ahead of the rim.

Thanks for the hints-will check and get back.

Larry