Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow Front sight changed

Loki999

Hi All,

Did you replace the original front sight of the shadow and why?

I have a fiber optic factory frontsight, but i think it's very tick, its easy to pick up but targets at 40 meters are hard.also the a zone of a 25 meter target gets obscured by the tick front sight Does anyone know how thick the factory sight actualy is?

Do you think that you gain accuracy with a thinner front sight?

Till what distance do you use the fiber optic and when do you shift to the outlines of the sights?

I had the factory 1.5mm fiber front sight on my sp01, changed to the 1mm fiber. Not much of a change, IMHO. Then, thanks to a forum member I put a dawson .100 width fiber optic front sight..and it was a whole different world..

Try it you will not be disappointed.

Dawson will cut the sight to any dimensions you want and they usually dont charge extra you just have to wait a couple of weeks. I have a .90 front from them. People order from Dawson because CZ plain black front sights are not really a stocked item at CZ and you cannot get different widths from them.

Installing the sight is easy, you should order the drill bit from CZ to put the drift pin in. Other forum members told me I did not need to reinstall the pin, in my case it held for a month without the pin and then I watched it fly off on the third stage of a match. I shot the last 2 stages without a front sight and surprisingly I rocked on targets closer than 6 yards. Also the pin retains the bushing in the slide in addition to holding the sight on.

A word on height. Dawson measures the sight from the top of the slide to the top of the blade, where as CZ measures from the bottom of the dovetail to top of the blade. The only way to get an accurate height is to measure your sight before ordering from Dawson. Mine was a little tall and I cut it down with a file.

Hope this helps.

Turns out no drilling was needed for mine, just a simple roll pin.

For some reason, my Shadow has a 5.5mm front, so I was 3-4 high at 50 ft. I wanted to order up the CZ Custom 6.5mmx1mm, but unfortunately it's out of stock. If I'm calculating right, the equivalent DP sight would be the .175"x"100" (thanks to DDpenns info, thanks!!!)

Am I right on this?

Now I'm confused..... .02" ( difference between .155 and .175) only comes out to .5mm.

I measured the 5.5mm, the height that would be above the slide, and it does indeed measure out at .155. Dovetail appears to be ~.06". Total height top to bottom is .215"/5.5mm.

So if the Dawson measures .175 above the slide, plus the .06 dovetail, it should in theory only come out at .235"/6mm top to bottom. Which is different than what I first came up with. :huh:

Good to know the CZ sight are all .12 wide. I'd like it a touch narrower, so DP looks like it'll be the choice.

Edited by Racer377

Ok, I just re-measured my CZ 6.5mm sight from top of the slide - 0.1755". The sight may be a little shorter than 6.5mm but I didn't shorten it - just installed, no file or stone touched it; and I know it's 6.5mm as I bought it new and measured it before I put it in.

And I totally agree on 0.100" width, CZ front sights are a little wide to get good light bars around them.

CZ sights come without groove in the base of the sight; dunno about DP sights for CZs.

There is a good reason they come without the groove, as I see it - each sight/slide allignment may be slightly different and redrilling would widen the groove and thus make the fit loose.

Dawsons I got did not have the groove cut in. I agree with CeeZer that it is almost certainly to account for gun to gun differences in dimensions. The Dawson does come with a setscrew to hold it but go with the roll pin. It will never loosen. The setscrew, well........

I talked to a guy at Dawson today about the sight sizing. Measuring from the top of the slide and measuring the blade only aren't quite the same .155" from slide, .140" blade only for me, the CZ dovetail is ever so slightly above flush, .015, to be exact. .015 is about ~2" at 25yds, so it makes a difference what EXACTLY the Dawson measurement is describing. Top of slide or from blade/dovetail junction on sight itself.

Dawson guy said he'd look into it and give me a call back.

Dawson sights come with a set screw and are not predrilled to accept a pin. I found that the set screw would not hold the sight in place so I purchased the drill bit from Cz custom made for installing sights and tapped the sight in and drilled it and installed a new pin. It is pretty easy to do and the sight has not moved since.

Dawson sights come with a set screw and are not predrilled to accept a pin. I found that the set screw would not hold the sight in place so I purchased the drill bit from Cz custom made for installing sights and tapped the sight in and drilled it and installed a new pin. It is pretty easy to do and the sight has not moved since.

This makes your shadow illegal for production?