Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Would IDPA benefit from a compact div?

I'm sure you have seen lots of long barreled gun like the g34 and mp pro used in IDPA. I'm sure that there are those that do use them for concealed carry. But I would venture to say that more folks use the g19 and smaller as a carry weapon.

would IDPA benefit from a div that specify guns in the same class as a G19? guns like the mp9c and g26 come to mind.

IDPA recognizes a division for BUG (back up gun) but only local clubs ever use it. Our club held a BUG match years ago and it was a real hoot but most shooters considered it a wasted opportunity to shoot their main gun...a big mistake in my opinion. Pressure your local club to shoot a BUG match or at least a BUG suppliment to a regular match. I shot steel plates with my Guardian...great fun.

No need for another division, shoot what you carry.

Shooting a G34 but carrying a 19 is only hurting the person shooting if they are doing IDPA for experience and training with their carry gun. But then again, it is a game.

I have long advocated scrapping ESP and SSP, separating guns by trigger action doesnt really reflect in the scores.

If it was up to me, I would have, FUll size, following current esp rules, and compact, basically the same box with a 1 inch wide block of wood placed along one side and a lighter weight limit.

The problem with a BUG match is that you still wait around all day but only shoot 5 rounds per stage. We hold what we call 2 gun matches where the stages use both your normal gun and the BUG.

As for a compact division, I say thumbs down as a new division. Page 1 of the rule book,"(IDPA)...is geared toward the new or average shooter...that practical gear and practical guns may be used competitively."

The rules describe what is practical for IDPA competition in each division. If we make a new division just to make it so someone can win with something that is noncompetitive, we will wind up with the OJTJWPG division sooner or later. Oh, that stands for Old Jennings That Jams With Pink Grips.

The problem with a BUG match is that you still wait around all day but only shoot 5 rounds per stage.

The limit is 5 rounds per string, but most of our stages have 2 to 5 strings. Our last BUG side match had 3 stages, but we fired 44 rounds minimum. Not too bad, not too boring.

Koski

I might be wrong in this but when I shot the last BUG match my COLT 1911 compact was on the approved list for a BUG, I sure caught flack over it but it was legal, I had to show them the rule book, I dont have a new book but does anyone if it still is a legal BUG?

Thanks

Here's the relevant part of the Rule Book:

Handguns permitted for use in this division must:

A. Be single or double action.

B. Be either pistol or revolver.

C. Be .32 auto or larger.

D. Have a barrel length:

1. Semi-automatic, 3.8" or less (factory installed cone style barrels with or without a barrel bushing are permitted).

2. Revolver 3" or less.

E. Maximum (total) number of rounds that may be loaded into the handgun is five (5).

One of the clubs in my area has great bug matches. They just separate the shooters by gun caliber. That sets a pretty level playing field. They also divide shooters by classification by signing you in as your highest IDPA classification.

The stages are of normal length..... Bad guys won't always come in a group of 5 LOL.

I campagned for a BUG division of some kind for 5 years before giving up.

Edited by Duane Thomas

You can shoot a compact in any division as long as it is legal. Further, you don't even have to make power factor with it, as long as your ammo will make it with a "legal length" gun.

The limit is 5 rounds per string, but most of our stages have 2 to 5 strings. Our last BUG side match had 3 stages, but we fired 44 rounds minimum. Not too bad, not too boring.

That makes 30 minutes turn into an hour and a half, or more.

For our BUG matches, I use 4 bays with 3 scenarios in each bay with 5 rounds each. Shooter shoots one, reloads off clock and shoots second, reloads off clock and shoots third. Scoring done behind shooter as he/she is shooting next scenario. Fast moving, shooter gets lots of shooting with BUG and everything done quick.

We also do Non-IDPA BUG matches with Mouse gun (under caliber weapons) and all other back up guns. Some people use full revolvers as their car gun and some use full size semi-autos as well as back up. For these Non-IDPA BUG matches, we seperate shooters as Mouse Gun, Pocket Revolver, BUG Semi-auto, Revolver and Semi-auto. It's a hoot and are well attended.

Garry N

would IDPA benefit from a div that specify guns in the same class as a G19? guns like the mp9c and g26 come to mind.

To be competitive?

Just wondering. I've used a G19 for a long while in ESP and SSP. Not a lot of folks shoot sub-compacts, but they could if they wanted to.

Garry,

How are you handling the pocket holster issue? Strong side only holsters? Table/nighstand starts only?

Thanks,

Koski

Table/pick up starts or from the low ready stuff. The last one we did I even shot a Single action revolver......now that was a blast.

Like Brian said...pick up the weapon or low ready. Works slick....and speaking of slick, You should have seen Brian and another of our shooters (that shoots Cowboy as well) shoot single action .45 Colts. Especially on the movers. We had one where there were two targets on each side of a Non-threat on a mover running down a rail system. Score 3 on one threat and 2 on other threat (shooter's choice). It was quick and Strick got off all 5 shots and had good hits with that single action. His thumb was a flying :surprise:

I came up with the system that I discribed several years ago and it works great, especially if you can move down a bay with each scenario with the rest scoring and pasting behind the shooter. As most are close up, the shooter generally knows what his/her hits are anyway. This also gets the shooter to shoot 15 rounds before waiting his/her turn again. Less of the feeling that you shoot a couple of rounds and wait a bunch until your next turn.

Garry N

Edited by solaritx