Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New jug of Solo 1000?

dsmw5142

Has anyone bought a jug of Solo 1000 lately? I am working on my last jug of Lot #1930 and I'm hoping whatever I order soon will be faster like my old lot (don't know the number).

In most cases I need .4 to .6gr more with the Lot #1930 to get the same PF.

With my old, fast lot 3.5gr with a 147gr BBI at 1.125 would be around 134PF.

Lot #1930 takes 4.0-4.1gr

Thanks.

Ramshot Comp, N320, WST are next on my list to try for all the reasons stated above.. I might be able to deal with the lot to lot variation, but the temp sensitivity is horrible. Especially if the ammo sits in the sun at the chrono mans table.

To bad I've got about 4lbs of Solo1000 to use up first.

Has anyone bought a jug of Solo 1000 lately? I am working on my last jug of Lot #1930 and I'm hoping whatever I order soon will be faster like my old lot (don't know the number).

In most cases I need .4 to .6gr more with the Lot #1930 to get the same PF.

With my old, fast lot 3.5gr with a 147gr BBI at 1.125 would be around 134PF.

Lot #1930 takes 4.0-4.1gr

Thanks.

I bought a new 8lb jug about a month ago and it is on par with #1930. It is a hair faster but not even enough for me to adjust the powder throw.

Thanks, that's what I needed to know. I think I'll start looking at other powders.

I have been wanting to try WST. I thought I read somewhere that it is also very temperature sensitive? I'll probably order some WST and N320 to try.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Thanks, that's what I needed to know. I think I'll start looking at other powders.

I have been wanting to try WST. I thought I read somewhere that it is also very temperature sensitive? I'll probably order some WST and N320 to try.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

I found WST to be pretty stable but I only used it in .45....

I like Titegroup (and shoot moly BBI) but smoke doesn't bother me as I try not to shoot in the same place too much.

I'm playing with some N320 and BBI in .40 and 9mm and it seems to be really stable. I use VV N350 in .38SC for Open and really like it except it's $100/4#

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

WST is actually reverse temperature sensitive. However in my experience not as much as you might think... I've chronoed my 135g Bear Creek RN, 135PF load at temps between 50 and 80 degrees and had little if any variation.

Edited by Boxerglocker

I'm just finishing an 8 lb jug, lot #1624. I have chronoed it and my next jug, lot #1930, back to back with ammo loaded at the same time (specifically for comparison) and chronoed at the same time. Lot #1930 will need 5% more powder to make the same velocity. The same powder measure setting threw the same weight charge with both lots.

I've chronoed the #1624 batch with rds that sat in my 0 deg F freezer overnight and rds at 80 F back to back, same session, and the velocity difference was 1%, the cold ammo being faster. Yes, it's reverse temp sensitive but not my idea of a big deal.