Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light primer strikes in G34

PSSOH22

Hey guys! As of recent, I started having multiple failures in my 34 and I just put the gun away instead of troubleshooting it. My biggest issue were the light primer strikes like the title states. The gun could not get through a whole magazine without 4-5 estimated "dud" rounds. First to cover the ammo side, all rounds were done on a dillon 650, primers are seated just under flush, ammo works in all my other 9mm's, pulled 2 bullets after my last range session and there was powder. I pulled apart the firing pin assembly and upon stripping the spring i saw the previous owner had cut some coils off of the spring, so i replaced it with a factory Glock spring. At a match today, I had a few failures again through the gun but nothing as bad as before so Im thinking that was the main issue, but what else could be the cause of this if anything? Im going to buy a box of factory ammo and go out next range session and try it out

Sounds like the previous owner did some kind of work on the gun. Unless you replace all the springs, trigger components I'd try ammo with Federal primers first.

Thanks I will buy some Federal Champion at WW and see if it runs through. Good thing is if somehow it is ammo related, Im almost done with this batch so i will definitely get Federal primers on the next go around. This load has a mixture of CCI and Wolf primers

I would also ensure that you run a Q-Tip thru the firing pin channel to clear out any small bits of primer metal present.

Because of the Glock's rectangular firing pin window in the breechface, it has a tendency to shear off small shavings of metal that can accumulate in the front of the channel. Add a little oil into the mix and you've got a gun-stopper.

I have 2 Glock 34's for competition and use a trigger kit with light striker spring (Vanek Trigger). They work fine with federal Primers. I had to switch from Winchester. If you are using a stock striker and stock striker spring, just about anything should work in a G34. So to make it reliable I would check the striker under a magnifying glass to see if it is damaged and be sure you have all stock springs in the slide.

Regards

Mike

CCI and Wolf primers are both notoriously hard. That's not helping. Have you checked the rounds that didn't fire to make sure the primers in those rounds were fully seated?

yes i did, havent found one primer to be out of spec yet! I know about the CCI/Wolf's now!! What else besides Federal is G2G?

Glock's tend to be a bit more ignition sensitive than some other designs, even with full-strength factory firing pin springs, much less the lightened firing pin springs we competition shooters like to run. I wouldn't put anything into the gun with really hard primers: CCI, Wolf, Sellier & Bellot, PMC. Any of the hard primered surplus stuff. I haven't had the best luck with Winchester white box or handloads using Winchester primers, though some people have. (Never had a misfire with Winchester primers loaded into their primo defense ammo, though.) Remington primers suck. That's just off the top of my head. Other than that, you should be good to go.