Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

After I call the shot

anilson

I have been working on calling shots, and when i miss i know where i missed. Left/right/high/low

But i still push the gun to the next target, then have to go back to the missed target to make up the shot.

thanks for the help guys!!

Adam

I would say the next step is to control the gun so that you don't miss. What I mean is having the control to recognize and not squeeze the trigger when the sights aren't there. It can be hard to slow yourself down for an easy shot when it should be there quickly, but for whatever reason isn't.

I would say the next step is to control the gun so that you don't miss. What I mean is having the control to recognize and not squeeze the trigger when the sights aren't there. It can be hard to slow yourself down for an easy shot when it should be there quickly, but for whatever reason isn't.

When I'm actually seeing the sight well and calling the shots, I find that's not a problem. The first time it happened was a very strange feeling indeed-- but the lightbulb had gone off.

Unfortunately, that doesn't cover trigger control. A miss due to poor sight alignment is really just a lack of visual patience. Its the physical act of the trigger finger that'll cause the sight to twitch just before the shot breaks, and will require a make up. I'm guessing that's what the OP is talking about, as if he knew the sights were misaligned that early in the "shot process", moving on the to the next target too early would probably not be a problem.

It seems as if he is simply moving the gun before he's fully called that last shot, and driving it towards the next target before his brain has fully registered the miss. If he's not actually moving the gun before the shot breaks (which is a problem unto itself), I imagine it's just a matter of getting more and more practice calling the shot-- until he starts to recognize the need for a make up before the gun has already transitioned to the next target.

I'm sure someone will be along with some more specifics!

I have been working on calling shots, and when i miss i know where i missed. Left/right/high/low

But i still push the gun to the next target, then have to go back to the missed target to make up the shot.

Adam

My feeling is that if you are really calling the shots, at the instant each shot fires, you won't move the sights off the target until you know you have two good hits on it.

be

Adam

Nothing wrong with that, but calling the shot is a different thing than executing the shot. You can call the shot well after you move on, the brain has a great buffer for visual information, but the trick is opening up enough that you call the shot the instant it breaks so that you can make a decision based on the information, rather than reviewing it later after acting. It's tough to do and I'll freely admit I get into a review frame often enough, especially during long strings.

It occurs to me that the dummy bullet trick would work well for training on this, when you hit the dummy you'll either immediately make up the shot or move off of the target.

Matt

Man, this benos guy is always stealing my thunder. :) Just as I'm thinking of all the glorious sentences that could be strung together to illustrate the finality of my humble opinion, he comes along and says it all in one sentence.

It's like he's the Albert King of shooting forums... :)

And yet I just can't help myself, likely because I just love this sh@t.

If you're calling your shots, and you're driven by the goal of Alphas, your subconscious will not let you leave a target without a good hit?

Nah, just re-read what Brian wrote.

anilson> Here is a good question for you. Are you calling the shot good/marginal/bad right as the shot breaks? Or are you waiting for the sights to return post shot then thinking that its a good called shot because the sights were still on the target post shot? Believe it or not there are MANY people to believe they are calling their shots but are in fact performing the second example I gave which is not shot calling. When you are properly calling your shots its happening as the shot breaks and the vast majority of the time when a shot is called bad/marginal it is instantly made up with zero hesitation and usually breaks faster then the initial on target splits. This is at least what I experience.

If you are breaking a shot then transitioning off target before you realize that you need to make it up then you are not calling your shots properly. You should know if the shot is valid or not the instant the shot breaks, not some time afterwards when you are leaving the target. If you are realizing that you have to make up a shot after you have left the target you are probably looking for holes in the target instead of looking at your sights.