Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

barrel clamp question

Mattog22

I noticed several shooters say they don't use a barrel clamp unless using a sling because it's not necessary and just adds weight. I also know most shooters use a 22"-24" barrel. I am running a SX3 with a 26" barrel with a +6 extension (I think, it makes capacity 9+1) that is pretty close to the same length as the barrel. At this length should I start considering a barrel clamp?

post-15599-0-13061200-1314544220_thumb.j

Edited by Mattog22

I noticed several shooters say they don't use a barrel clamp unless using a sling because it's not necessary and just adds weight. I also know most shooters use a 22"-24" barrel. I am running a SX3 with a 26" barrel with a +6 extension (I think, it makes capacity 9+1) that is pretty close to the same length as the barrel. At this length should I start considering a barrel clamp?

daves metal works just started making an outstanding clamp www.davesmetalworks.com

On a personal note.....I am not a clamp fan. However, if your tube sticks past the end of the barrel....use a clamp. If you are running a Remington.....use a clamp. If you chuck your shotgun in a barrel like a spear....use a clamp.

The biggest reason people don't use a clamp is that if it moves....it will affect your slug zero. Use a clamp that will not move.....our clamp is 1.5" long and if installed properly, if will not move.....putting a wrap of cloth tape on the tube, in the area that you will be putting the clamp seems to be the best insurance policy to keep your clamp in place so that it doesn't move.

Tim

Thanks for the replies. I already have a Nordic clamp. I guess my best bet is to put it on if I get a chance to verify zero, if not, I will just go clampless for one more match, be careful, and get it on ASAP after the match.

Thanks for the replies. I already have a Nordic clamp. I guess my best bet is to put it on if I get a chance to verify zero, if not, I will just go clampless for one more match, be careful, and get it on ASAP after the match.

Definitely go with the clamp. It will be good for you in the long run.

I once watched a Nordic tube break at the threads where it screws into the nut. This was due to it being chucked into grounding barrels and not supported by a clamp. The aluminum tube eventually broke at the threads, the weakest point.

I run a Nordic +5 and a Nordic clamp on my M2. I run my clamp all the way down against the extension nut. I get plenty of support this way and the clamp position can be easily verified at a glance. I put a little masking tape on the extension under the clamp just to make sure that it doesn't move. I also make a witness mark with a paint pen to make sure that I tighted the bolt the same each time. This has allowed me to disassemble the gun and put it back together with total confidence in my slug zero.