Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Striker will not release unless mag is in gun

Ninja Moose

Setup: Glock 34, Fulcrum ultimate trigger, lightened striker, 2lb striker spring, Ti firing pin safety

Problem: When I pull the trigger without a magazine (empty or loaded) in the gun, the striker will not release, but when I insert a magazine and pull the trigger, the striker will release. I can also get the striker to release when I hold the trigger back and pull up on the slide. The trigger does reset every time the slide is cycled and I tried adjusting the overtravel and pretravel screws to allow for the most movement and the striker will not release without the magazine or pulling up on the slide.

It was working for about 150 rounds before this problem, any ideas?

The trigger bar either has too shallow of an angle where it meets the connector, the connector has too shallow of an angle for the trigger bar, or it is a combination of the two. This is a more complex way of saying the trigger bar is not going far enough to the rear to release the striker.

I have one combination of a trigger bar and connector that will not work, but just changing the connector to one of a similar weight changed the geometry enough for it to fire reliably every time. So at the very least try changing the connector to a stock 3.5 connector.

I agree with Matt on this one. The only influence that the absence or presence of a magazine could have is on the height of the slide (and thereby the height of the firing pin lug above the cruciform sear plate of the trigger bar).

When the mag is installed, it is pressing up on the stripper rail, effectively lifting the slide. The lifted slide is high enough that the sear plate can move down and clear the F.P. lug.

Without a mag, the slide sits lower and won't give the required clearance.

Thanks for the help/ideas guys.

I took the overtravel screw completely out and the striker will now release. I then returned the screw to the original position and it now works again, but the trigger releases it just before the trigger touches the frame (I'll try adjust the overtravel some more).

I did try putting the stock parts back in the gun and it works, but I would like this trigger to work.

I installed the same trigger in my G-34 open gun. Lots of problems with the over and pre-travel adjustment screws staying in place even when loctited.. I finally had enough so I just removed them. Trigger works great, now. Maybe someone has had better luck with these over and pre-travel adjustment screws than I did. If so, please share.