Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ICORE Capacities and .22's

With all the discussion going on with USPSA capacities currently. Why not look at ICORE also?

I think that "Classic" should become just a 6-shot only class (Not exclusive to speedloaders.) Looking at the results, the top guys in Classic can run with the top guys in Limited currently which means that you really aren't at a disadvantage with speed-loaders once you get proficient with them. Doing a change like this would allow ICORE to lift the "6 round neutral" stage limits that are currently in place to allow for more stage setup options to the match designers. In years past at IRC there have been different ways of shooting stages that still would benefit an 8 round revolver even with the current rules. Looking back at this last years IRC the stages for the most part were fairly dull. There wasn't any options for shooting them, during the walk-through you see the stage and you immediately know how you are going to shoot it.

Also, has anyone heard anything else about ICORE allowing .22 semi-autos to shoot? I haven't heard anything other than rumor earlier this year and a quick blurb about it in the latest Cylinders Turn.

--Bruce

Wait what? The guys that shoot ICORE even know they make semi autos? :roflol:

I thought anything made after the moon clip was hog wash!

On a serious note, I hope they go in this direction. I would be thrilled to shoot a 22 semi auto (optics or not) at their matches. Back when I was a broke kid I had so much fun shooting 22lr IPSC division that the local club ran.

From The Cylinder Turns:

"We listened and will have a rimfire division to accommodate

and encourage new shooters. This is preliminary

information until a rule change is implemented but stages

will be limited to 10 rounds maximum, classifier stages will

be limited to 9 rounds maximum. Drawing from a holster will

not be required and the shooter will start with the handgun

pointed at approximately a 45 degree angle below horizontal

with the finger off the trigger and out of the trigger guard.

Both revolvers and auto pistols will be allowed but scored

separately. Optics are still open for discussion"

• 1 month later...

This must be a side match using different stages than the real revolver shooters. It's going to be very hard on the match staff setting up two different mathes at the same time. Parent or Guardian should have to be with the child when they are shooting to keep an eye on them for safety.

It would be a good idea as a side match or separate day to bring out everyone.

• 5 months later...

Lifting the 6 round neutral stage limit would effectively make ICORE back into USPSA which kind of negates the whole idea of ICORE in the first place. I think we should stick with the 6 round neutral stage limit.. if you want to shoot 8 rounds, shoot L10-minor or production with your 8 shooter in USPSA. Generally there are stages that can be shot with a little bit of disaster factor to save a reload in an 8 shooter.. but to deliberately make stages over 6 round neutral, I think personally, is a bad idea.

Making .22 stages limited to 10 rounds leave you with one revolver to use. The 617 and eliminates people with Rugers or Taurus. If you are trying to expand ICORE you need to thing about what guns are available and not limit ourselves.

Changing from six round neutral would kill ICORE as we know it. Stage design makes the difference. Until someone is shooting all perfect scores things do not have to be changed. Perhaps counting the X ring on more stages would makd it more difficult.

• 2 months later...

There is now a 22 Rimfire revolver division that is to be 6 round friendly just like CF to accomadate 6 rounder M17's, 9 round H&R, 8 round Ruger SP101, a Taurus or a 617 10 shot. It will be up to local clubs to allow autos but now we have a rimfire division.

Now on to 6 round friendly. I had the pleasure to be on the squad with Josh Lentz and check out the results for this years IRC, he shot a six round Classic with speed loaders and well did beyond belief.

Lifting the 6 round neutral stage limit would effectively make ICORE back into USPSA which kind of negates the whole idea of ICORE in the first place. I think we should stick with the 6 round neutral stage limit.. if you want to shoot 8 rounds, shoot L10-minor or production with your 8 shooter in USPSA. Generally there are stages that can be shot with a little bit of disaster factor to save a reload in an 8 shooter.. but to deliberately make stages over 6 round neutral, I think personally, is a bad idea.

I tend to agree!

In so many words, I was told my M625 is obsolete (for ICORE.) Doesn't seem right to me.

I tend to agree!

In so many words, I was told my M625 is obsolete (for ICORE.) Doesn't seem right to me.

If Lentz can beat every Limited shooter with 6 shots and speedloaders, I think a moonclipped 6-shot is plenty competitive. I would argue that the only real drawback is having to cook up a sub-major load for it, the slight extra speed on the reload every time makes up for the once or twice that 8 shots saves the day.

I tend to agree!

If Lentz can beat every Limited shooter with 6 shots and speedloaders, I think a moonclipped 6-shot is plenty competitive. I would argue that the only real drawback is having to cook up a sub-major load for it, the slight extra speed on the reload every time makes up for the once or twice that 8 shots saves the day.

Just a middle of the pack shooter, so take my opinion,for what its worth.

A six shooter is definitely competitive if the shooter doesnt miss or need any make up shots(josh)

If stages require the same number of reloads for 6 or 8 shooters, then the advantage the 2 extra rounds provides are in making up misses or b/c's.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with you on this, I personally hate to shoot a USPSA match with a revolver. Eight shots from almost every position (the most unpleasant is 7 shots for a position) makes shooting these matches just a day of reload drills, totally frustrating.

I just cannot believe that stage design lacks creativity just because only six shots have to be fired.

USPSA has gone to catering to the "OPEN GUN" shooters more than anyone else, trying to figure out how to make it competitive for them at the expense of all other divisions except limited.

I agree with you on this, I personally hate to shoot a USPSA match with a revolver. Eight shots from almost every position (the most unpleasant is 7 shots for a position) makes shooting these matches just a day of reload drills, totally frustrating.

I just cannot believe that stage design lacks creativity just because only six shots have to be fired.

USPSA has gone to catering to the "OPEN GUN" shooters more than anyone else, trying to figure out how to make it competitive for them at the expense of all other divisions except limited.

This might be more club oriented. I see a little bit of a mix of this at the local club matches in area 7, most of the time you are looking at 8 shots from any position, the only "revolver friendly" uspsa stages I ever see are classifiers of the 6 reload 6 variety...

There are most definitely some limited/open friendly stages seen, but really every stage that doesn't have mandatory reloads is open/limited friendly right?

If you have a shooter that has a pistol with magazine capacity in excess of 25 rounds, how do you make him reload? Either a mandatory reload instruction or run the round count up over 30 rounds. I am fine with that, just do it in 6 shot slices. I think that clubs hesitate to do this due to it involving more props than they currently have and because they will have to make more shooting positions to accommodate a max of 6 rounds per position.

It has been my experience that at the clubs I shoot at, OPEN division is now one of the smallest, LIMITED and PRODUCTION seem to gather the majority of shooters. SINGLE STACK and REVOLVER are the smallest divisions which I believe is due to the utter frustration of a standing still reload in the middle of an array of targets.

PRODUCTION, SINGLE STACK, AND REVOLVER could and mostly are your entry divisions for the first time competitors.

Now take all this conversation and take it to the ICORE game, why mess with it? I shoot a S&W 625 and a S&W R8 with a red dot sight, if I shoot the R8, there are occasions where I can eliminate a reload if I plan the stage correctly, but more often the extra rounds afford me the freedom of letting it all hang out a little and have another shot for a miss if one occurs.

Just my 2 cents worth

• 1 month later...
There is now a 22 Rimfire revolver division that is to be 6 round friendly just like CF to accomadate 6 rounder M17's, 9 round H&R, 8 round Ruger SP101, a Taurus or a 617 10 shot. It will be up to local clubs to allow autos but now we have a rimfire division.

Can anyone provide or link the rules or announcement for this?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

When ICORE allows semi-automatics, I want my Life membership dues back, pro-rated, with interest (in USD, not Euros).

Why would I (and everyone else) not just shoot USPSA?

The tail is wagging the dog.

Craig

Thanks!

As far as I know the Allowing of 22's in ICORE matches were to be overseen and handled at a local match level. Mostly to get the younger shooters (even younger than Josh L.) in the door. I have been involved in competitive shooting for a while and noticed when the match opens up to semi's it evolves into another place to shoot IPSC. When I was in Arizona we did not allow any semi's in competition, but then we had a strong contigency of revo shooters. The smaller clubs that were "renting" space had to open up to semi's to continue for a limited Revo contingency and soon evolved into another place to shoot IDPA or IPSC. Might I suggest instead of leaving the only Revo Org I know of, is to contact your Regional Rep to see what his stand on the issue, find out what is planned for the requirements of the division and let him know your thoughts. I for one can see the 22 REVO division for true juniors until they move on or take the larger wheelguns. :cheers: Roger D. Davis

• 3 months later...

as an official geezer and REVOLVER fan I would be overjoyed to have a 22 Revo category to shoot....and move than 6-shot stages would be fine.....I'd even enjoy a 'jungle run' although I don't run...but a trail/path out through the brush around the mountain etc would be invigorating....

Thanks!

http://www.icore.org/CT_index.html Oct 2012 Cylinders Turn

The only announcement I've seen so far.