Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building The Perfect USPSA AR 15 (Optics Excluded)

szhttm

If you could build your version of a USPSA competition AR 15 (optics excluded at this time), what components would you choose in your firearm? Just some examples below, but you can add anything else you would like:

• What upper receiver would you want?
  • What lower receiver would you want?
  • What barrel would you want?
  • What length of barrel would you want?
  • Would you want traditional gas driven or piston driven system?
  • What trigger system would you want?
  • Would you want a full length stock or a collapsible stock?
  • What comp / flash suppressor would you want?
  • What Bolt Carrier / Bolt Carrier Group would you want?

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!

B)

This is going to be boring, but:

[*]What upper receiver would you want? JP

[*]What lower receiver would you want? JP

[*]What barrel would you want? JP 18" as light as possible

[*]What length of barrel would you want? 18"

[*]Would you want traditional gas driven or piston driven system? Gas

[*]What trigger system would you want? JP

[*]Would you want a full length stock or a collapsible stock? Full length ACE

[*]What comp / flash suppressor would you want? JP's Cooley Comp

[*]What Bolt Carrier / Bolt Carrier Group would you want? JP's regular weight

I realize that's boring, but that's essentially my competition rifle -- and it immediately made me a better shooter. (You can buy the occasional performance improvements in this game -- in my case I needed a lighter rifle and optics...)

Now, if I were to have another one built, I'd have to give Firebird a try -- just to see what Jim could do for me based upon my expressed needs. And, having the JP, if I were to call Jim, I'd talk in generalities -- I like a lighter rifle, I like the feel of this trigger, I already have this in my safe and would like what you build to duplicate it as a back-up/add some different interesting capabilities/to be as short and light as possible/as long and heavy as possible with irons -- and then let him surprise me....

The only things stopping me are money and time for rifle shooting....

If you could build your version of a USPSA competition AR 15 (optics excluded at this time), what components would you choose in your firearm? Just some examples below, but you can add anything else you would like:

• What upper receiver would you want? JP CTR-02
  • What lower receiver would you want? Firebird - I call it milspec +
  • What barrel would you want? Compass Lake Engineering w/ a matched bolt
  • What length of barrel would you want? 18" turned to 0.625 "
  • Would you want traditional gas driven or piston driven system? Gas
  • What trigger system would you want? JP
  • Would you want a full length stock or a collapsible stock? Vltor A1 fixed
  • What comp / flash suppressor would you want? Surefire MB
  • What Bolt Carrier / Bolt Carrier Group would you want? JP LMOS

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!

B)

• What upper receiver would you want? STAG ARMS
  • What lower receiver would you want? STAG ARMS
  • What barrel would you want? JP 18" light profile
  • What length of barrel would you want?
  • Would you want traditional gas driven or pistol driven? Why would anyone want a piston gun for competition?
  • What trigger system would you want? JP
  • Would you want a full length stock or a collapsible stock? ACE SOCOM
  • What comp / flash suppressor would you want? SJC Titan until the STAG ARMS comp comes out.
  • What Bolt Carrier / Bolt Carrier Group would you want? JP low mass w/ buffer and gas block.

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!

B)

Mine is a 14.5" CCMG, as light as possible. At the distances I shoot, I think it's going to be a really nice shooter.

An 18" with a rifle gas system would probably be pretty soft shooting. I'd make sure it's as light as is safely possible.

I'm building it right now! Here's what I've got in hand or on order...

• What upper receiver -- Mil-Spec
  • What lower receiver -- POF Gen 3
  • What barrel -- Noveske 18" Lightweight stainless
  • What gas -- Intermediate length DI
  • What trigger -- Geiselle SSA-E
  • What stock -- Magpul PRS
  • What comp -- SJC/Lund Titan
  • What BCG -- Noveske bolt, Young Superlight carrier
  • Other Stuff -- 13" VTAC Extreme rail, BCM Mod 4 CH, JP Low Mass rifle buffer & action spring, Tango Down grip, Troy Ambi safety

The issue that I had with a light rifle (6#, 8oz with EO Tech and carbon fiber EVERYTHING) was that it never really seemed to settle down. I'd run into a box, bring the gun up and watch the dot dance around in a nice sideways figure-8 for a while.

I built another rifle that's 2# heavier and it seems to settle immediately....

Edited by Braxton1

Having built quite a few guns, I've noticed that the super-light tuned gas systems (with titanium carriers, decent (read: PRI) adjustable low-profile steel gas blocks, etc.) can be a bit picky about ammo, yet don't shoot any better splits at the same accuracy than a non-adjustable gun with the right parts. Plus, the second configuration is cheaper and less...picky. Win-win :)

What upper receiver would you want? Dreadnaught (billet looks neat, forged is cheaper)

What lower receiver would you want? Dreadnaught (billet looks neat, forged is cheaper)

What barrel would you want? Noveske (1/8 mid-length gas, turned to .750 OD and fluted, black nitride coated)

What length of barrel would you want? 18"

Would you want traditional gas driven or piston driven system? (mid length gas)

What trigger system would you want? (Geissele Super 3-Gun, flat)

Would you want a full length stock or a collapsible stock? (ACE skeleton, JP spring, Endine buffer)

What comp / flash suppressor would you want? (Dreadnaught F2)

What Bolt Carrier / Bolt Carrier Group would you want? (JP standard weight stainless)

With a LaRue mount, Z6i BRT, and a Burkett-mount Insight RDS, that configuration shoots great! Have a YHM "Jarrett" forend on it; will switch to a Lancer Carbon Fiber when they come in. Aluminum plus 106 degrees in the Texas sun equals "ouchies"...

Alex

A big consideration is what USPSA match are you talking about? What you might shoot at a local match might be very different if you are planning on attending the USPSA Nationals where you can count on longer range targets being more available. And then there is the caliber consideration. Building a 6.8 makes a lot of sense since you can make major with it. But if your going to shoot the non USPSA matches there are not any major/minor rifle calibers and unless it is 30 caliber, you can not enter it into heavy metal.

Edited by Charles Bond

What upper receiver would you want?

What lower receiver would you want?

What barrel would you want? stainless, cryo if reasonable. 1:7 or 1:8.

What length of barrel would you want? 18-20"

Would you want traditional gas driven or piston driven system? gas is fine if you keep it clean

What trigger system would you want?

Would you want a full length stock or a collapsible stock? collapsable to fit me, probably a Magpul prs

What comp / flash suppressor would you want? miculek or bennie cooley

What Bolt Carrier / Bolt Carrier Group would you want? chrome

Edited by Hamma Slamma

The issue that I had with a light rifle (6#, 8oz with EO Tech and carbon fiber EVERYTHING) was that it never really seemed to settle down. I'd run into a box, bring the gun up and watch the dot dance around in a nice sideways figure-8 for a while.

I never understood the uber-light rifle concept. It's not like you're shooting it one handed. I like my heavy PRS stock, it tends to balance the rifle well and recoil is very mild, even more so now with the JP light carrier and buffer.

I never understood the uber-light rifle concept. It's not like you're shooting it one handed. I like my heavy PRS stock, it tends to balance the rifle well and recoil is very mild, even more so now with the JP light carrier and buffer.

I shoot a Glock as my pistol.....

So, I like my guns light....

Can't be done. Everything is a tradeoff. Perfect for one stage, maybe. The trick is to try out a bunch of stuff and then pick and choose what is quality, meets your shooting style, budget and aesthetic appeal.

There are 4 pretty good triggers available, but what appeals to me might not feel good to you. I've shot a complete JP, Firebird and DPMS in matches. Took away a little learnin' from each one while reading (and asking) what some of the top guys have done and distilled it down to what works for me. I could tell you what it is, but next year it might not be the same and it surely won't be perfect for you.

The questions you should be asking are WHY does "X" shoot 55 grainers across the course and "X" shoots 55s and 77s? Why does "X" shoot close paper so well? Why is "X" such a fan of the "x" comp? Shooting a few matches will give you a little bit of knowledge base from which to make more informed decisions.

A big consideration is what USPSA match are you talking about? What you might shoot at a local match might be very different if you are planning on attending the USPSA Nationals where you can count on longer range targets being more available. And then there is the caliber consideration. Building a 6.8 makes a lot of sense since you can make major with it. But if your going to shoot the non USPSA matches there are not any major/minor rifle calibers and unless it is 30 caliber, you can not enter it into heavy metal.

I agree... I shoot our local 3-Gun match with a 16" DPMS Carbine with a low-profile gas block, vented free-float rifle-length handguard, Magpul CTR Carbine Stock, and MIAD grip, and a Miculek comp... Optic of choice? EoTech 512! Because we shoot under cover with no shots longer than 20 yards!!! I wouldn't want to haul a 20" gun and rifle-length stock around in our matches. Some nights, I shoot a 10.5" SBR with the stock collapsed!!!! I would suggest a 10.5" SBR and an EoTech for FB3G!

JeffWard

As per one of the replies above, why would a piston driven system instead of a gas driven system not be a good option for a competition rifle?

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!

:cheers:

Some people, myself included, look at the piston driven system as a solution to a problem that does not exist.

I subscribe, mostly, to the KISS principle.