Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Non-Free Float Barrel Techniques?

Fenrir

I went to my first multi-gun match 2 weeks ago and had a blast even though my performance wasn't as good as I would of liked. But I learned a couple of things which one that using a non-free float barrel can cause your accuracy to be off. I am primarly a pistol guy, and the S&W M&P-15 MOE was my first carbine purchase, and I have very LIMITED experience with ARs. While I love the new rifle I was wondering until I get a free float barrel or a rifle that has one if anyone on here had any suggestions on stances, or techniques I can use to help my accuracy when using a non free float barrel in 3 gun?

Thanks

PS I am sorry if there is another thread on this. I found quite a few threads talking about the advantages of a free float barrel over a non-floated barrel but didn't find anything that answered the question I asked here.

I dont know of any techniques that may help, but IMO it really depends upon the distances you'l be shooting at. I have several AR's, some FF'ed, some not, and can really only tell the difference accuracy-wise when shooting at targets in excess of 200 yards. Anything within that range will probably group the same

The US military has taught thousands to shoot six hundred meters with open sights with non-free float rifles. Don't get caught up in blowing money (yet) until you figure out what you need and works for you. My first three-gun rifle didn't have a free-float forearm on it and it didn't matter much since I was still learning and having fun.

I dont know of any techniques that may help, but IMO it really depends upon the distances you'l be shooting at. I have several AR's, some FF'ed, some not, and can really only tell the difference accuracy-wise when shooting at targets in excess of 200 yards. Anything within that range will probably group the same

+100

If you rest the hand-guard on a prop to shoot, the weight may deflect the barrel or change the barrel harmonics, and thereby cause your pattern to open up...

Inside about 200 yards, and with 3-Gun sized targets... 18"??? at 200 yards?

You're not talking a lot of difference!

But AR owners are a picky, and superstitious, bunch... If one guy's got it on HIS rifle... and he beats me... LOL

JW