Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Basic running for Stamina- Help Accuracy?

PKT1106

Hey guys-

I have started a routine where I run and walk on alternate days. Right now, I walk 2 miles while pushing a stroller (40 pounds rolling weight, will increase as the kid grows up) and the next day will run. As of today, I am up to 1.6 miles running while pushing same stroller with baby. With just this routine, have any of you found an advantage with stamina during a match (maybe able to run through courses quicker, or are not run down at the end of a day) and any edge for accuracy, maybe from heart not racing so fast during a course?

I want to train up to do a 5k, but am also looking at the physical side to action shooting to gain benefits.

Running is great for overall physical fitness but for the most part (as discussed recently on here) we don't do a whole lot of running for much of a distance. I think quickness is most important. You can find a lot of big, out of shape, quick guys. The ability to move fast really doesn't make up a whole lot of time (unless you can move fast and shoot accurately at the same time). The most important part of quickness, I feel, is setting up under control and having balance along with having the gun ready to shoot and finding your sights quickly, time can be made or lost here. Think of a wide receiver braking and turning to the QB on his route, they can get their feet underneath themselves sooo fast and are balanced at the same time!

As far as stamina goes, water I think is number one. I drink a bottle of water before I shoot a stage if I atowardds the bottom or after I shoot if near the top. You will hear "drink water" all the time but if you watch the first stage or two, a lot oguysys aren't drinking until they are already parched, a match is kind of a marathon. Another one of my things to get an edge is that I carry a nice directors chair with me and sit in it while someone is shooting, then hop up to tape. Another thing that I do is stretch, I stretch when I am in the hole. stretchth mhamstringsgs, bending over and touching my palms to the ground (trust me, I couldn't do this until I stumbled on yoga). I also stretchch my quads and stretchch my arms/shoulders. I think that stretching iextremelyly important to a good stage for me. I stretch with my eyes closed, many timevisualizingng (in third person) shooting the stage. Stretching also takes a lot of tension out of my muscles, you can read about tension in Brian's book. Basically it is a routine that I do all of the time. The Mariners suck but I used to love to watch Ichiro when they were on t.vnationallyly The guy never stands still (at least when I watched) he is always stretching on deck and in the outfield between pitches even!

A few years ago, when I was walking out heavily to get ready to enter nursing school, I noticed that the exercise made it much easier to continue to breathe during a stage, and that sweating in the gym, actually helped me stay cooler at matches....

So the running/walking won't hurt.....

• 1 year later...

A really good source for information on training to run is Tim Nokes "The Lore of Running". He has several training plans to build up to different distances from zero and reduce the chance of injury. There is also a lot about how to train to be faster. The major tools for increasing speed in running are interval training and weight training. You need a good base before starting intervals and you should get a medical exam and cardiac stress test before starting high intensity running.

Anything that can help lower your heart rate is useful. We dont run a lot but nerves alone can raise your heart rate and blood pressure. That being said, a healthy diet will do more to help decrease your heart rate than running alone. I say this to a lot of people you can work out all you want but if you dont eat right its all for nothing.

I believe it will help you. If not with your shooting, it will help in your life overall!! I have been slowing getting into better shape and fitness and have noticed many positive changes. Just the other day we had a 250 hose fest in the 110 degree heat of Las Vegas. While everyone was starting to wear out and complain about fatigue, I was feeling great. I would have stayed and practiced after the match, but my ride/carpool had enough for the day. 3 years ago, I would have been one of those guys also. I feel that I can shoot 6-8 stages in one day easily without the worry of becoming tired. That alone is reason enough to get fit.

Keep at it Brother!!!

• 3 weeks later...

A really good source for information on training to run is Tim Nokes "The Lore of Running". He has several training plans to build up to different distances from zero and reduce the chance of injury. There is also a lot about how to train to be faster. The major tools for increasing speed in running are interval training and weight training. You need a good base before starting intervals and you should get a medical exam and cardiac stress test before starting high intensity running.

Agree with this. High intensity stuff like sprints, or more dynamic full body movements where the nervous system is challenged will be more worth while. Remember that a large portion of accuracy here will be how you respond to stress. Training that involves stress inoculation will help more for accuracy when moving fast through stages under pressure. Also with sprinting or things like olympic lifts (just an example) you get a greater CNS recruitment. I can't stress enough how this type of recruitment will help with responding to the stress, management of recoil, and reflexes. These are all key in my mind for improving accuracy.

• 1 month later...

Try HIIT for cardio. It's been shown in countless studies to burn fat, build muscle, increase speed and increase stamina and cardio health better than distance running. Conversely steady rate cardio causes plateaus pretty fast and in extreme cases such as bikers and marathon runners has been shown to have adverse effects to your health. The studies I've read also say that the peak time for HIIT cardio is around 20min. Less or more than that has less of an effect.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw40.htm

I usually do 5 min steady rate cardio before my work out to warm up and then 20 min of HIIT after. For HIIT I generally jog or walk fast for 1 min and sprint for 1 min, all for 20 minutes. I have definitely noticed the difference I my performance and how I feel. The more your cardio system is used to be stressed the less your heart rate will speed up and screw with your shots under match conditions because it's used to conditions more stressful then you're under. I would also lift weights too for the same reason. A decent way to think about it that will also get me in trouble. My wife is weaker then I am so she has trouble steadying the sights and it only gets worse as she shoots. I am stronger and my muscles are conditioned to work for longer periods and deal with so I start out steadier and it takes a lot longer for the shakes and wobbles to kick it.

Edited by DDustin

IMHO, running is the best. When I was running (use to run 5k races) up to 30-40 miles a week everything was easier. Let me tell you, if your legs and lungs can do 3-5 miles even a couple times a week at just a moderate type pace, say 8-11 minute miles, then you are light years ahead of the average competitor.

Your fitness and muscle tone at that point will be MORE than adequate for USPSA type shooting. My only other recommendation would be 5 to 10 pound weights held out in front of you like a gun while moving around the house.

I can assure you, if you are a runner, and I mean that in the most general terms, 10-20 miles per week, maybe les, you will have more than enough EXPLOSIVE energy. And, more importantly, your accuracy will increase because you will be a lot less fatigued.

Every several years it seems physical fitness comes up and there is always something new. Nowadays it's CROSSFIT. I have no doubt it is good for you and will help. But, it seems we have a bunch of examples at the very top of our sport and they all do different things to stay in shape, some do NOTHING. My point is that while physical fitness is important, being in top shape like an Olympian athlete isn't where it's at. Worthy goal, but I contend that it's simply not that important.

Can you move "YOU"? I find if I answer that in simple and moderate terms, then I'm fit enough and my accuracy improves. Can I do some push ups? Can I do some sit ups? Can I hike/jog a couple miles. Can I do these things without undo exhaustion? It needn't be harder than that, really.

Edited by Chris iliff

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Longer runs are good for your overall cardiovascular health but sustained lower intensity exercise in general will not transfer many benefits to something like action pistol, which is typically very short bursts of running and quick movements. From a conditioning standpoint, you want training specificity if there is going to be any transfer of improved skills or abilities from practice to competition, in other words you want to keep the speed and duration of your running very similar to the running you would typically do on any given stage.

Doing interval sprints is great for your cardio but will also improve your speed in a match. They should be short (distance of 100m or less), and there should be just enough rest in between for you to maintain an actual sprint pace but that's it. If you have no idea what to start with I would try 30 seconds between and adjust from there as needed depending on how long the distance is, etc.

Things like crossfit and tabata style resistance training yield similar benefits and are also good alternatives or something to supplement your running.