Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Turn and draw

Flexmoney

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. I've never competed but have always turned the other way for two reasons:

(1) Marching Band "about face" was always pivot on right and step left

(2) self defense. Have been taught to turn strong side back weak side 'shield'

So turning into the gun is faster?

Will experiment.

Good thread

And safer. Turning into your weak side brings in the possibility of breaking the 180 if you draw before your hips and shoulders are parallel to the 180. I'm a righty, and I only turn into weak side when there is one array to my right (as you are facing down range) and it needs to be shot before doing anything else, like moving forward. When I do, I make damn sure I'm pointing downrange before I clear the holster.

And safer. Turning into your weak side brings in the possibility of breaking the 180 if you draw before your hips and shoulders are parallel to the 180. I'm a righty, and I only turn into weak side when there is one array to my right (as you are facing down range) and it needs to be shot before doing anything else, like moving forward. When I do, I make damn sure I'm pointing downrange before I clear the holster.

Did this a few hundred times over the weekend ...

When I turn weak side my hand goes on the grip as I step back and I clear the Holster just as I set after my Pivot.

The Push out ends just as my Strong foot comes forward to square stance.

Something else I figured out as to why I am programmed to turn weak side...

I have practiced Turn and Kneel and Turn and Crouch a TON (Martial Arts and Pistol).

It is a fundamental for avoiding Takedowns and Weapon Retention.

• 2 weeks later...

OK...I am right handed, so reverse everything if you are a lefty.

I start out with both toes touching the back of the box (as presribed in the stage procedures).  I set up with both feet pretty tight, in the back right corner (left corner when I am facing the 180).

-  My weight is on the left leg, the right leg is just kinda loose...ready to move.

-  On the beep, my strong hand goes to my gun, my head snaps around.  I feel it is important to get the eyes on the target as soon as possible...the body follows the eyes.  I think that if you are focused anything else, then your turn won't be crisp and to the target.

-  On the turn, my right foot, it drops back and turns.  My right foot only moves once...it needs to land in the final shooting position.

If you get the head on target quickly and the feet only move once...then you don't have to rush.

Totally agree. I try to put this process to action on youtube. Look up Phillip Aguet El prez. I was coached by TD Roe, One of the women of USPSA. See her vid too. Lightning.