Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Operator"...it's the new "Tactical"

Revopop

I've had a long-standing dislike of the word tactical, because it seems to mean something that's overpriced and dumb. Like a light rail on a revolver. I've started having the same feeling about the word operator. Today I received an EOTac shirt I'd ordered. It's a good shirt, designed for concealed carry, and it does the job well. Then I look at the tag and it says "Operator Grade". Seriously, it's a friggin' shirt. Guess what, I've got a Dockers shirt that's not "Operator Grade", and I can hide a gun under it too.

I've been a military operator for 22 years now...first, I learned how to operate a mop, then I learned how to operate a buffer, then I learned how to operate a can of spray paint...

Hey, some of that spray paint was black, so...tactical operator (of spray paint)...

Asshats. Stupid buzzwork bingo, marketing style...annoys the hell out of me, too.

Alex

I work with true operators. I wonder if the operator grade would survive around pavers, asphalt emulsions, and sharp objects? Meh, since when is a skilled la or classification a cheesy buzzword?

This morning I noticed that one of my old Under Armour shirts is "Tactical". So I guess this sorta thing isn't even new. Under Armour is so tactical that the US military no longer allows it in combat zones because in explosions the material melts to soldiers' skin and causes horrific burns.

If this shirt is "Operator Grade", shouldn't it be able to "operate" my lawn mower for me?

I'm not sure what the origin of the term is, but it still sounds like Mall Ninja speak to me. I've known too many "real deal" people to take the term seriously. Hell, I was the Operations NCO in a Combat Support Hospital - I guess that makes me an Operator too. Woo hoo!

Maybe we need to film a new drama series called "Operating Tactically". About a Security Guard named Bruce at the Podunk Hollow Mall and Used Car emporium who thinks he's a ninja. A show that is like the offspring of "Breaking Bad" and "Paul Blart-Mall Cop"