Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Removing P1640 Safety Parts

blairmckenzie1

I have a new Para SX1640 Limited. I just bought a trigger kit from dawson precison, a gun craft long trigger, a wilson combat safety and a dawson magwell. I want to have a local gunsmith install everything, but have heard about people removing some of the "extra" safety parts to make for a better trigger pull. Just curious about a couple things:

1. What parts are usually removed?

2. Will most gunsmiths do this work?

3. Can I disable my grip safety?

Thanks for any help

1. The series 80 firing pin lock and lever assembly. but this may run afoul of some games rules,

2. Most doesnt matter, just what yours will do. I would do it to mine but not to yours.

3. Yes you can, but tuning usually keeps them working well enough. and again may run afoul of some rules.

there are spacers available to take up the room where the safety levers are now. You will most likely need them. And as Joe has said elimination of safety components is illegal in some games. Ck your rule books. It's really just a matter of detail strip and reinstall themj if needed, no permanent changes are made to the gun.

As far as I know pinning the gs and removable of firing block are ok for limited. Joes talking about filing of the arm on the gs so it takes less movement to unblock the trigger, pretty simple really, and pretty easy to file to much and have a nonfunctioning grip safety

Its alot easier with a Para than a STI or 1911, with the grips removed you can see the tab and the back of the trigger, using a scribe you can get it right the first time. All my grip safeties work and I dont have an issue deactivating them when I shoot, but some people do. DO you have problems deactivating it ? If not Id leave it alone or just dress it slightly