Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

competition upper questions

countryboy223

im looking at building my first competition upper and once again im on a budget. so this is kinda what i have in mind. i am looking at:

some sort of 18 in match barrel not sure of the kind yet open to suggestions

viking tactics jp hang guard

Bcm gunfighter cgarging handle

jp lightweight bolt and bolt carrier

surefire comp

vltor stripped upper.

burris mtac (already purchased)

adm recon-x (already purchased)

wondering what kind of gas block to get?

if you guys have any suggestions to add please do. i am very new to this. thanks allot guys

Edited by countryboy223

If your on a budget get a cheap charging handle. Cheap upper and a cheap bolt. The Miculek comp is very cheap as well. There are equally good and much less expensive hand guards too. Stick the money into a JP barrel, gas block and bolt carrier.

The bolt is one area I would not go cheap. I have seen the fail in training too much.

Pat

If your on a budget get a cheap charging handle. Cheap upper and a cheap bolt. The Miculek comp is very cheap as well. There are equally good and much less expensive hand guards too. Stick the money into a JP barrel, gas block and bolt carrier.

The bolt is one area I would not go cheap. I have seen the fail in training too much.

Pat

I have had a very expensive bolt break in two at the cam pin hole. I attributed that to too much shooting not enough cleaning and lubrication. I then had it's replacement which was another very expensive bolt have its extractor fail. I attributed that to pogo sticking some steel case Silver Bear ammo out of my gun. So if the expensive ones break too I decided to save some money and go with a DPMS which is a company I trust just as much as the expensive company.

What kind of failures have u seen in bolts Pat? I'm curious how they typically break and what I might keep my eyes on for stress cracks or wear.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

what do you guys think of white oak armament barrels. they are alittle cheaper than jp or noveske but do they compare in quality? also what kind of stripped uppers would you all suggest? is there anything i should look for in particular?

Pat

I have had a very expensive bolt break in two at the cam pin hole. I attributed that to too much shooting not enough cleaning and lubrication. I then had it's replacement which was another very expensive bolt have its extractor fail. I attributed that to pogo sticking some steel case Silver Bear ammo out of my gun. So if the expensive ones break too I decided to save some money and go with a DPMS which is a company I trust just as much as the expensive company.

What kind of failures have u seen in bolts Pat? I'm curious how they typically break and what I might keep my eyes on for stress cracks or wear.

Generally the locking lugs breaking. The most I have seen were from Bushmaster. I like only MP tested bolts in my guns. That means, Colt, Bravo Company, etc.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo