Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which brand Primers are Hard or Soft to strike?

Lawdog

Federals are the softest and preferred by revolver shooters, with CCI being the hardest if Im not mistaken with Winchester in the middle. I'm not too picky and will usually buy the cheapest of the three for practice/locals. Federals go in my major match loads for extra piece of mind.

I run 17 lb. mainsprings in my 9mm and .45 single stacks which have been 100% with CCI, Winchester and Federal. However, my Carmonized 625 requires "well seated" (i.e. below flush) Federal primers. Ignition is 100% with those, but closer to 50% with other brands, so there is a difference.

The correct term is how sensitive, Federal primers are the most sensitive primers, meaning easiest to ignite, CCI are usually considered the least sensitive, hardest to ignite, and my experience follows those lines. I have a custom built PPC revolver, I used to shoot PPC competitively for a number of years, it won't work with anything but Federal primers.

• 2 months later...

The correct term is how sensitive, Federal primers are the most sensitive primers, meaning easiest to ignite, CCI are usually considered the least sensitive, hardest to ignite, and my experience follows those lines. I have a custom built PPC revolver, I used to shoot PPC competitively for a number of years, it won't work with anything but Federal primers.

Where are Wolf large pistol primers on this sensitivity scale??

I just bought a bunch of them.

on the Wolf primers... I can't say for sure but at the range one day there was a guy shooting his AR-15 with reloads. He had a bunch with Wolf SR primers and was getting several double and triple slam fires. Raised a few heads... talking with him later, he said they were the copper colored Wolf and that the CCI he used for other loads didn't do that.

From this I take it they may be softer. I see they have come out with a version specifically for the AR-15 so maybe that is why.