Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Initial Classification Higher than Full Classification

jrbet83

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot.

You get an initial classification after your first 4 classifiers. Here's my questions if your first 4 put you in a class, but your next 4 (so you have the full 8 with the 2 lowest dropped) put you in a lower class, what happens? My first (3) L10 classifiers are 81, 83 and 94%. For example purposes, if a get an 84% or above in my next classifier, my initial classification would be Master. But what if my next 4, were 77, 65, 75, 80. My top 6 out of my first 8 would put me at an A class. I'd hate to be classified as a Master class shooter, when in actuality the system says I'm an A class, it's just that I had some good scores early. It also doesn't help that, that 94 isn't really that good. For instance the same run in Production would have got me a 85%, it's just there isn't any scores in Limited/Limited 10 for 08-03 "Six".

Please no comments about sandbagging. That's not what's this is about. I've read the rule's about Initial Classification, but doesn't address the transition from Initial to Full (if you want to call it that).

81,83,94,84,77,65,75,80= Top 6 average of 83% Initial class of Master

81,77,80,75,94,65,84,83= Top 6 average of 83% Initial class of A

Same scores, different order, different classification.

The first time I shot limited I shot a 6 stage classifier match. Even though I had 6 classifiers, my initial classification used the top 4 which put me at 61%. I didn't shoot limited for a few more months, so the next update had the exact same classifiers on file. This time I was at 55%, because they used all 6. It was a long time before my limited classification was actually above 60%, but I was a B the whole time.

I've read the rule's about Initial Classification, but doesn't address the transition from Initial to Full (if you want to call it that).

Because there's no transition. Once you're classed, you're classed. There's nothing especially unique about having a current classification lower than your high classification, especially in the A, M, GM levels.

Out of curiosity, how long have you been shooting? Were you shooting some other discipline before you took up USPSA? Those are pretty impressive initial scores!

BB