Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Job on Shadow Custom?

Lee G

Has anyone felt the need to send their shadow custom back for additional trigger work? I'm about to close the deal and purchase one, but I'd rather have the trigger work done before it ships if it needs it instead of having to ship it back. I haven't come across one to try out.

I do. I have an SP-01 Shadow Target that has had an additional trigger-job done to it. My understanding is that there isn't a "real" trigger-job done to the custom gun other than some basic buffing and polishing associated with the Comp Hammer installation. Of course, the term "need" is a rather subjective one. For some, the custom shop's ~8#/4# DA/SA is sufficient. I prefer the ~6#/2.5# range.

Has anyone felt the need to send their shadow custom back for additional trigger work? I'm about to close the deal and purchase one, but I'd rather have the trigger work done before it ships if it needs it instead of having to ship it back. I haven't come across one to try out.

Edited by justaute

Early on, Matt has done some really kickass triggers on a couple of my SP01 and a 75SA. really nice stuff.

I also had a gun from Angus that was nice too.

The last few guns I have seen out of the CZ Custom shop have been good. running around a 6.5#DA and a 3#SA, smooth action, crisp letoff in SA

Edited by eerw

Well it's on the way from CZ-USA. Apparently they have a pretty good military discount if you go directly through them. I also spoke with CZ Custom and they told me the trigger comes completely worked over. The pull can be further reduced for $100. From doing some research on-line it appears it's mostly a matter of cutting a couple of coils off the main spring and bending the trigger return spring. If I can't get that right on 10 dollars worth of springs I'm sure I can get one of the better smiths in town to do it. The only other thing I've read is I might need an extended firing pin. Now I just have to wait for it to get here, but it will probably beat the holster and extra magazines I ordered.

Early on, Matt has done some really kickass triggers on a couple of my SP01 and a 75SA. really nice stuff.

I also had a gun from Angus that was nice too.

The last few guns I have seen out of the CZ Custom shop have been good. running around a 6.5#DA and a 3#SA, smooth action, crisp letoff in SA

The one I got feels like the SA is around 2-2.5# mark and the DA is smooth. Its a borrowed gun and I'm sure the owner didn't do anything to it but he called Angus to get it so I'm guessing Angus played with it some before he sent it. Its the one I've been shooting in my latest videos. The funny part is the Owner called up Angus and asked what he needed to do to get the gun to run 100%. Angus's reply in the best Angus accent, "Put boolets in the damn thing and shoot hell out of it, thats all you freaking do!" :roflol:

The funny part is the Owner called up Angus and asked what he needed to do to get the gun to run 100%. Angus's reply in the best Angus accent, "Put boolets in the damn thing and shoot hell out of it, thats all you freaking do!" :roflol:

Hahaha... Yup, that would definitely be an Angusism.

I talked to Rob at CZ Custom before I ordered my Shadow Custom and, IIRC, he stated that unless I'm going with reloads, he would advise against it. Going with factory ammo, I believe he said that the "regular" trigger would be preferred.

definitely.

a lot of people use whatever ammo they can find cheap at Walmart, etc.

a benefit of shooting 9mm in production.

but a lot the ammo use harder primers. So a basic trigger that is reliable across a variety ammo will usually run a 15# /16# hammer spring which will get you about a 6.5#-8# DA stroke and a 3#-4# SA.

If a shooter is using a particular ammo or is reloading and controlling the brand and lot of primers being used ( like we do when shooting open/limited division guns), doing an action job becomes a possibility when tuning a gun

This opens options for us to rework springs, hammers/sears, firing pins, firing pin blocks. Doing this allows the guns to set up with sub 5#-6# DA and sub 2# to 2.5#SA on them

My gun is set up to run about 5.25#DA/2#SA and set off CCI pistol primers.

Well, I only shoot reloads and I primarily use federal primers so I think I can safely go lighter and still get good primer ignition. On the Custom Shadows, excluding the work they have already done, is there anything else aside from the springs to drop it to a 5#DA/2#SA? If it envolves reworking engagment points and angles I'd rather send it off.

BTW, I really appreciate everyones input. It's made this decision much easier.

Edited by Lee G