Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rookie has question reguarding next M&P purchase.

Rob Traynham

I currently have a stock M&P 40 4.25", and am in the market for another M&P. I justed started shooting IDPA and would like my wife to join me. My question is, should I purchase a pro 40 5", and shoot it and give my wife the 4.25" 40 (which she handles quite well) or should I put some sites on it, and an apex trigger then get her a 9mm, or 40. How big of a difference is shooting the 5" barrell over the 4.25", if its not much maybe I will just keep my 4.25, upgrade it and get her the same one. Advice from you all is greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

I dont reload, and I have been looking into uspa. The reason for the 40 is that I'm in the process of getting on with a local leo agency and that is an authorized carry caliber. I would train how I would fight, and I just found the 40L which would ba a legal carry, with night sites for quite a bit less than the pro, and it looks very tempting. I could use it as a leo carry as well which just might sell itself, and maybe get the 5-5.5 apex trigger installed.

I dont reload, and I have been looking into uspa. The reason for the 40 is that I'm in the process of getting on with a local leo agency and that is an authorized carry caliber. I would train how I would fight, and I just found the 40L which would ba a legal carry, with night sites for quite a bit less than the pro, and it looks very tempting. I could use it as a leo carry as well which just might sell itself, and maybe get the 5-5.5 apex trigger installed.

Get the 40L and shoot it. usually the 40SW at full power is a disadvantage in IDPA due to the extra recoil. But my leo friend beat quite a few people using his stock glock 22 using issue ammo. So its sometimes the shooter.

I have a 5 inch 40 and a 4.25 9mm. I reload for SOFT. I would think the 40 in the 4.25 would be a handful but if your wife shoots it OK then I would go with that. IDPA is kind of a low round count when compared to USPSA. The 5 inch is much more forgiving of less than perfect sight picture than the 4.25. Of course the 4.25 has a awful trigger job which will soon be Apexerized. In short it is a pretty big difference between the two for me but I think you will be fine either way.