Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accuracy question Hunter vs Limited vs Stock vs Match

jerryg22

I'm looking to use this for combat matches and need tight groups at 50 yards. This will be for .45acp only. Was thinking Hunter but they no longer have the cone barrel, but neither does the Match. Can anyone help me out as to their experiece based solely on accuracy (group size). Thanks.

Edited by jerryg22

I haven't experienced any noticeable accuracy differences between my 9mm Limited, 10mm Match, and .45 Hunter.

I've shot an 8" plate at 75 yards free standing with all 3. None of them seemed to be more or less accurate. I've taken my 10mm Match to the indoor range and shot bullseyes with it and I can keep my shots in a 1/2" circle at 10 yards if I squeeze the trigger smooth.. :) My Limited "seems" more accurate, but I think that is more due to the better handling characteristics of a full dust cover gun that has a magwell on it.. I've shot both the 10mm Match at .45 Hunter at 100+ yards and both shot well. I think with the Hunter I got approximately a 16" group and my Match I could keep on a 18x24 steel plate easily (boringly easy). These are all offhand, so I'm sure most of that is me.

What kind of groups are you talking at 50 yards?

I haven't experienced any noticeable accuracy differences between my 9mm Limited, 10mm Match, and .45 Hunter.

I've shot an 8" plate at 75 yards free standing with all 3. None of them seemed to be more or less accurate. I've taken my 10mm Match to the indoor range and shot bullseyes with it and I can keep my shots in a 1/2" circle at 10 yards if I squeeze the trigger smooth.. :) My Limited "seems" more accurate, but I think that is more due to the better handling characteristics of a full dust cover gun that has a magwell on it.. I've shot both the 10mm Match at .45 Hunter at 100+ yards and both shot well. I think with the Hunter I got approximately a 16" group and my Match I could keep on a 18x24 steel plate easily (boringly easy). These are all offhand, so I'm sure most of that is me.

What kind of groups are you talking at 50 yards?

3-4" from a sand bag.

Is this rapid fire or single shots?

I feel that if you are shooting from a rest/sand bag, it doesn't matter whether you have a bull barrel or not, as long as you always line the sights up the same way each time. I doubt that any heat effects causing a barrel to warp would be significant on a short pistol barrel, unlike the effect it may have on a long rifle barrel.

Securing the gun will matter to keep the barrel steady while the bullet is still inside. A well built position at rest on a sand bag should be doable without requiring the extra mass/weight of a bull barrel or a long dustcover, but every little bit helps I suppose.

For that distance, a longer sight radius will definitely help. If I had to choose given your application parameters, I'd go with a Hunter. And if I can get by with 9mm, I'd also go that route. For most accuracy games, you want big guns shooting little bullets.

Edited by Skydiver

In my experience, the quality of ammo is far more important to accuracy verses the gun its self. All of the EAA pistols that I have shot are far more accurate than who running the trigger. Pick one and shoot.

In my experience, the quality of ammo is far more important to accuracy verses the gun its self. All of the EAA pistols that I have shot are far more accurate than who running the trigger. Pick one and shoot.

Amen to that.

Winchester white box out of my Limited shoots a 5" group at 10 yards offhand, where Xtreme or Speer TMJ's are more like 2"..