Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9MM STI Mags without spacers

Glockcomma

Open 9 Major

I have some on order..

From what i'm being told:

With spacers you need to run your OAL at 1.130 or less

Without spacers you need to be at 1.180 or more... there is no in between

I have 4 now with spacers and have feeding problems at 1.175 OAL so I threw them back in the range bag and use 2 mags that ran perfect with my other gun SV Tubes, Bolen guts inc basepad

Neither my open or limited 9mm 2011 will run STI magazines without a spacer. Both run untuned STI magazines with spacers just fine.

Edit: Without a spacer, it ran most of the time as posted above - but most of the time isn't enough of the time when the fix is $9.

Edited by DyNo!

Thanks for all the input, I have a 38SC gun and a 9MM Major gun and a full set of STI mags for each(the 9's have spacers). They usually run 100% but yesterday I had a couple of stages I tanked because my rounds nose dived low into the feed ramp. At first I thought maybe I needed the support of the lips that you loose because of the spacers (I keep the lips on all my mags at .355 at the rear and .360 in the front) but now I'm thinking that it's just spring time. I'm only having issues with my big sticks but I probably use them 85% of the time. Feel free to chime in with any info or advise, can never have too much of that.

I had some feed problems with my jhp on my feed ramp, i was at 1.175. i shortened it up to 1.155 and dont have the feeding problem anymore. something that has caused nose dive for me in the past was when the spacer came loose and up enough so the slide was hitting it, in turn hitting the top of the round causing nosedives.

I did some research on this last year when I got into 9Major. What a mix of opinions and facts! I was so confused that I finally just got all SV mags and haven't had any problems. I had a few tuned and then I tuned my own and I haven't had any problems with them. Recently, I purchased a 170 STI mag from Foxbat and he said he never ran a spacer in it and never had a malfunction. I went to the range with it and had a few feed problems with a few hundred rounds. I put a stainless spacer in there and haven't had any problems since. I load my MG 124's at about 1.165.

Interesting info, not sure I understand , I just ordered Tripp magazines to run standard 9mm loads, does the

115 gr run different than the 124 g or should I not be concerned? I don't plan on loading for a while, I load .45 currently but no imminent plans to load 9mm

Interesting info, not sure I understand , I just ordered Tripp magazines to run standard 9mm loads, does the

115 gr run different than the 124 g or should I not be concerned? I don't plan on loading for a while, I load .45 currently but no imminent plans to load 9mm

Most of the posts here are referring to STI double Stack mags. Not single single stack.

Open 9 Major

I have some on order..

From what i'm being told:

With spacers you need to run your OAL at 1.130 or less

Without spacers you need to be at 1.180 or more... there is no in between

I have 4 now with spacers and have feeding problems at 1.175 OAL so I threw them back in the range bag and use 2 mags that ran perfect with my other gun SV Tubes, Bolen guts inc basepad

Well mine run at 1.165 my current OAL, 1.175, 1.185 with spacers, I have 9 STI mags 5 140's and 4 170's, the bigsticks all have grams guts and Dawson SNL pads and the steel spacer from Shooters Connection. The 140's have stock STI guts with the 9 mm STI follower and the plastic spacer. None are tuned and all run 100%. What I didn't say is RN bullets I shoot the MTG CMJ's. I had one or two unexplained FTF when I was running Zero 125gr JHP's, changing to the round nose bullet fixed that. Now for the kicker the same mags run in all 4 of my 9 major guns. Capacity 28/29 in the big sticks and 21 in the shortys but they have the stock plastic base pads, want more rounds get a big stick. Do not waste any money on an SPS tube they won't run 9 mm no matter what you do to them. I have run the 140 stock mags without spacers and had no issues, but I have never tried the big sticks without spacers (except for 38 Super and they run that as well).

I'm going to bet if you put a 10# recoil spring in your gun it will run.

On my newest gun I had to have a little bit of the ramp cut off as it was dragging the top of the mags, go figure.

Thanks for all the input, I have a 38SC gun and a 9MM Major gun and a full set of STI mags for each(the 9's have spacers). They usually run 100% but yesterday I had a couple of stages I tanked because my rounds nose dived low into the feed ramp. At first I thought maybe I needed the support of the lips that you loose because of the spacers (I keep the lips on all my mags at .355 at the rear and .360 in the front) but now I'm thinking that it's just spring time. I'm only having issues with my big sticks but I probably use them 85% of the time. Feel free to chime in with any info or advise, can never have too much of that.

I replace my springs twice a year, get the 10 packs.

Nose dive happens when the rounds in the mag are not stacked tight, they get a little space between the cases at the front and this lets the front of the bullet dive.

Try the springs first, craming 29/30 rounds in the makes the spring get weak fast.

I used to run a 10# spring and my gun ran 100% a friend told me he thought my gun was over sprung, I put in a 9# and it seemed OK but maybe theirs a problem at speed. I'm defiantly keeping the spacers but I think I need to experiment with mag and recoil springs.

Tim, I use MTG CMJ 124. OAL is 1.160 to 1.163. STI mags .355 in front .360 at rear. Stainless steel floating spacers, Grams 9x19 followers, 13 coil springs in 170 with 3mm base pads, 140 13 coil springs with 7mm base pads. The 170s hold 28 and the 140s I only load 22, the 140 can hold more but are hard on springs.

I had feeding problems with MTG JHP.

STI mags' feed lips are easy to adjust and tune.

I have some old SV mags, which run with no problems. I had problems trying to adjust the feed lips on SV mags, they are like spring steel. The SV mags also had drop free problems and it took about three hours of sanding and fitting on each mag to get them to drop free. If you look inside the frame you will see a ledge, the top side of the SV mags hit on the corners of the ledge. If you bevel the edges where the mags hit they will drop free without working on them. The STI mags are narrower near the top and do not rub against the ledge.