Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Range brass vacuum

ddpenn

I saw in another forum a user had rigged a leaf blower to power a vacuum to pickup brass.

Does anyone have any experience with this or using a cheapo yard vacuum to pickup brass.

The range I would be interested in using this at is spotty grass and dirt field not gravel.

Sears sells a leaf blower that can be changed over to a vacuum. I have one and it works really well for leaves, but I rarely use it to vacuum. It's more convenient to just blow the leaves into the neighbor's yard! :roflol: (JK!)

Most yard vacuums I have owned run the debris thru the fan which lies between the "hose" and the "bag". I think to use this for brass, you would need a bypass so the brass was routed around the fan rather than thru it. I don't think this would be a insurmountable issue.

there is a dustless drywall sanding "system" sold by Sandkleen. It looks like this:

sandkleen.jpg

I think you can do the same thing for picking up brass. Just buy a 5 gallon bucket and lid and the appropriate sized vacuum hose fittings or PVC pipe connectors to make a "pre-separator" like pictured above. The brass drops into the bucket and the lighter debris and dust keeps traveling to the shop vac or leaf blower.

A large shop vac would probably work. Take the filter out of it and replace it with a fine mesh screen that would trap the brass and let dirt and light debris through. Probably be a good idea to put a short length of hose on the exhaust.

Home Depot also has a vac that goes on a 5 gal bucket that's cheaper than a shop vac. Of course, both need electricity.

Edited by Graham Smith

That is what i was thinking. Set up a 5 gallon bucket to collect shells. Just wondering if anyone has tried and whether the vauum is strong enough to pick up shells or if you end up with more debris than brass.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has had any success with this.

A large shop vac would probably work. Take the filter out of it and replace it with a fine mesh screen that would trap the brass and let dirt and light debris through. Probably be a good idea to put a short length of hose on the exhaust.

Home Depot also has a vac that goes on a 5 gal bucket that's cheaper than a shop vac. Of course, both need electricity.

Or get a cheap bucket vac type shop vac that is just a lid that goes on a 5 gallon bucket.

Then get a 5 gallon bucket mesh/grid insert used for car washing to keep your rags form picking up debris form the bottom of the bucket. Total outlay probably about $40.

Something like this

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/appliances/vacuums-floor-care/bucket-head/wet-dry-vac-25935.html

plus this

http://www.autogeek.net/grit-guard.html

plus your average < $5 5 gallon bucket.

If I'm shooting on concrete I use a broom to sweep the brass into a pile, then a counter brush and dust pan to pick it up. You can get a counter brush and broom combo at Walmart for a buck or two.

If you aren't clear about what I mean, here's a photo.

Counter brush and dustpan

Were you born with that sarcastic sense of humor,,, or was it honed over a life time?

Oh you have to hone sarcasm over a great period of time. Many don't quite understand the intricasy of fine sarcasm.

The best way is to take a kid shooting, they pick up the brass and all it costs you is a bunch of rounds at the end, and they pick up the brass!

You are all missing the opportunity to improve your physical abilities for dealing with those shots through low ports and around low barricades.

Duck walking around the range, picking up brass, is an excellent exercise for strengthening those leg and thigh muscles.

I just use one of those football shaped rolling cage things on a broome handle. It works great and doesn't need electricity.

Yep, I've seen these a lot at various matches and they seem to work pretty good. Have yet to see one vacuum powered, but sure it's only a matter of time.

My wife is a good sport and picks up brass while I shoot!!

Im in Stationed at Fort Richardson Alaska and I'm here to tell you Alaskans love shooting their guns!! If you have ever fished in Alaska you know what "Combat Fishing" is! I call it "Combat Shooting" at Birchwood Shooting Park. Im originally from South Arkansas and I sure do miss being able to walk out the back door and practice!! Buuuut i sure do love picking up all their brass!!

Edited by cworks