Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

factory idpa ammo loaded down

rware91

I just shot my first classifier this morning and shot 162.?? While i am not very pleased with my score, I am exicted to get back out there and shoot some more. I was wondering if there are any companies that sell 9mm ammo loaded down. if this has been posted else where please refer me to that. Thanks.

Ryan

Have you chronographed your current "store bought" load? Most factory loadings are not that far above the minimum power level......

+1 I've chronoed some factory 9mm that barely made pf.

If your not happy with your times the ammo isn't to blame.

Greg

i do not feel like the current ammo was holding me back. It was the third stage that killed my score. I just saw some people shooting loaded down ammo and thought why not try to get some. I reload my precision rifle stuff but do not see it being time effective to reload 9mm. Thank you for the insight on the 9mm not being way over pf. I will be at the range tomorrow working on those 25 yard shots.

Ryan

Don't beat yourself up too badly, most new IDPA shooters will see a significant improvement in their classifier times on their second attempt. The great thing about the classifier is that it show you exactly where your weaknesses are in only 90 rounds.

The head shots on stage 1 and accuracy on stage 3 are the biggest hurdles for most shooters from Novice up to Expert. I'd bet most people who shoot the classifier for the first time haven't benched their gun to make sure it's hitting in the zero zone at 20 yards.

As The_V stated, AA&A sells a minor 9mm load and that's what Team Glock runs. If it's good enough for Dave Sevigny it's good enough for anyone. However, you don't need specialty ammo to classify Master in IDPA. I would advise picking up a couple different types of ammo and/or different bullet weights from your local gun shop or big box store and trying some groups at 15-20y. You might groups or recoils better than the rest.

Be sure to chrono any ammo you use in 9mm.

If I recall at one of the sanctioned matches last year a few people failed to chrono and got DQ'ed shooting commercial ammo that was supposed to make pf and didn't and I think they were all shooting the same brand.

A couple years ago I chronoed some factory ammo and I don't have my data handy but out of a 5" M&P one of them made 125.5 and one was 127, the temp was about 70 degrees so I'm guessing a little cooler and the 125.5 wouldn't have made it.

Greg

Blazer says their 115grain ammo goes 1125 fps...that's 129pf. Not going to be able to get much closer than that and be legal. On the other hand, I enjoy shooting heavier bullets a lot more than the light 115 loads, even at low power factors.

Most factory 9mm, in my experience, is running in the low-to-mid 130s power factor-wise. That's one of the great things about shooting 9mm in IDPA (USPSA too, for that matter); there's no need to handload your match ammo since factory stuff's pf is right where you want it already. The people you saw shooting 9mm that appeared to have less recoil weren't getting that affect by generating a lower power factor. I would assume they're doing it with choice of bullet weight and by running a powder with very particular burn characteristics. And, no offense, if you're just starting out a lot of the difference in how the gun acts in recoil for them versus you probably has to do with better technique on their part, as well.

The third stage of the classifier is the make or break stage. Many new shooters just haven't worked enough on accuracy at that type of distance. I doubt it is the ammo that is holding you back.

Work on accuracy. Work on barrier shooting. Work on reloads with retention. That's what you need to improve stage 3 of the classifier.

My minor 9mm load feels much softer than "factory" loads despite making the same130pf. The load has started many shooters into the handloading world after shooting one magazine side by side with their factory ammo.

http://handgunsports.com/REPERCUSSIONS.HTM is one place north of Dallas that sells custom reloads.

Edited by jmorris

i do not feel like the current ammo was holding me back. It was the third stage that killed my score. I just saw some people shooting loaded down ammo and thought why not try to get some. I reload my precision rifle stuff but do not see it being time effective to reload 9mm. Thank you for the insight on the 9mm not being way over pf. I will be at the range tomorrow working on those 25 yard shots.

Ryan

Ryan,

This is the guy who ran everyone through the classifier that day. Mike Merkler. Who do you think was shooting down loaded ammo at the match?

For you skill level you shot very well, yes the 3rd stage of the classifier will kick your butt. Did you or your Dad buy the beer and lunch after the match?

Mike

Mike,

My dad came back to my house, showered and headed back to Houston. No time for me to collect his debts. My dad and I both really appreciate you running us through. You calmed both of us down, which made us shoot better. After the match what was that one guy shooting, that you loaded up for him? Thanks

Ryan

Mike,

My dad came back to my house, showered and headed back to Houston. No time for me to collect his debts. My dad and I both really appreciate you running us through. You calmed both of us down, which made us shoot better. After the match what was that one guy shooting, that you loaded up for him? Thanks

Ryan

I made up a 9mm load for myself and Sam wanted to try it in his glock 19.

I guess it worked ok, I just thought it was a little light on the power factor. It was only 3.7 grains of clays with a 115 grain jhp from Monanta Gold.

Have not chronoed it yet. Do not know if it makes minor, it may not, but Sam shot factory ammo for the classifier.

Well let your Dad know it was a alot of fun and I hope he enjoyed. He still owes you lunch and a beer, right?

Mike