Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Precision rifle on a 550?

Bull Puckey.

Not unless your willing to remove the case after sizing,clean primer pockets, tumble, trim, chamfer and beburr then feed them back in. Loaded all my NRA match ammo for 2-3 hundred on a 550, the 500-600 yard stuff was done on a single stage, each charge dropped, weighed and trickled to finish. And you better be looking at headstamps, in a 22-250 the difference between a WW SUPER and a WIN case was 10"s at 1000 yd's.

Remember you said"precison rifle", not 3 gun

Mildot

After you do your case prep, yes, but the case prep for precision rifle will always have to be done the same way, before you even think about using the 550. I still prefer to do my precision stuff on a single stage press rather than using my 550 as a single stage system.

I deprime on the 550. Then wet tumble with SS media.

Then,

Resize and prime on the 550.

then,

measure and trim

then,

fill with a Chargemaster,

then,

either

Seat and crimp on the 550 with Dillon dies

or

Seat on a single stage with Redding Precision dies, then crimp on the 550.

I've have not seen any major variance in Ogive to base length (OOAL), but the with Redding die runout is about .001, and with the Dillon it is usually less than .003

Can you load precision rifle ammo on a Dillon 550???

When I was competing in the (now pretty much a club match) The Masters, I loaded all my 6.5 BR ammo (hardest shots were 6" plates at 200 meters, out of position) on a bock stock 550 press / Dillon Powder Measure. With that ammo I could consistently shoot 10 shot groups under 1.5" at 200 meters, from the Creedmore position. And I never cleaned a primer pocket or trimmed a piece of brass.

be

I load almost all my precision ammo on a 550. 223, 223 AI, 22 BR, 6.5 BR, 243, 6-284, 260, 308, 300 Whisper, 300 Win Mag and 338 Lapua.

Granted I have a Prometheus powder measure that helps, but the 550 is plenty enough. If the nut behind the scope is tight, ammo loaded on a 550 is plenty fine.

If you are reloading for benchrest, use an arbor press and hand dies.

• 4 weeks later...

I load all my ammo to include 1000 yd stuff on a dillon 550. Run it first time with only a size die. Tumble off lube and trim in a girud. Prime with hand primer or use press and weigh out charges and use press to seat bullets. Same runout on 550 as rcbs rock chucker. Dies float but everything centers up. I have shot several 200's at 1000 with ammo loaded like this and more 100's at 1000 with a 6.5x 284. Its not that much faster than a single stage but a little less brass handeling as you only have to put cases in, not in and out.

Now I'll admit I limit my long distance shooting to about 400-500 yards, beyond that it gets quite a bit more difficult to hit prairie dogs. I've never loaded 223/5.56 ammo on anything but a Dillon 550, every powder drop is from a standard Dillon powder measure, all the primers are seated on the Dillon, and the dies are Dillon, including the bullet seating die. I don't uniform primer pockets, I've never turned the necks of the cases, and I don't clean primer pockets, and I'm using mil surp brass, it gets trimmed on a Giraud trimmer, that's about it for brass preparation. I'm not one of those thousand yard guys, but my AR-15 does pretty darn well, here's a 5 shot group at 100 yards, I'm using Hornady 55 gr SP bulk bullets. I've run this group through the OnTarget software, using that software makes it a lot easier to accurately measure, it came out about 0.366" on the OnTarget software measurement.

group-1-25-07small.jpg

• 1 month later...