Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Transfer Favorites?

Shooter Grrl

It is that simple, actually. The folder is just harder to find. Go to your hard drive, then the 'Documents & Settings' folder, then your logon name and there's the favorites folder right there.

- Gabe :)

Gabe is right. I'm just now reaching that point ('installling Windows XP') in my techhie textbook, coincidentally.... I, myself, had a helluva time finding my Cookies folder in XP for most of the winter. Found it by accident, though... in that very aforementioned folder--under a folder with my own name on it. Favorites was there, too, with a gold star icon instead of a folder. Yep. :D

Siggy,

My only adivce for both you and Shooter is that in XP. It is actually the same as NT/2K with just more options. Everything is in the relative same place maybe just under a new folder. If you need help with either just give me a buzz.

Paul Franklin

Ok Kathy, heres the EZ way. Open IE (I assume it's IE you are using) and look in the File menu for the Import Export option (later versions of IE) or go to the Favorites menu and select Manage Favorites, either way, there will be a way to Import/Export. It's pretty self explanatory if you follow the instructions. When you are done you will have a file called "favorites.htm" wherever you told it to save to. This is a straight up HTML file and will open in any browser and show you a rollout of your links like a text on white web page, or in a text editor if you wanna see the code and the url's. Then just move that file to the new machine and use the File/Import-Export function to bring it on into IE in W2000. The folder transport method works well if you make sure all the filenames and folders are identical after you are done and you know where to look for each version and OS.

Let me know if you have any trouble, it's pretty straightforward, and will work one way or another depending on the version of IE you are up to. I think the IE Import Export function is the best way to do it unless you have done it the other way before.

--

Regards

Thanks Geoff! I'm really well versed in doing it the copy/paste folder way - on both Win98 and WinNT - just not with familiar with where they HID everything in WinXP :) I'm feel really blonde right now for not even considering that it would be under my doc/settings folder!

• 1 month later...
I am a computer ninny, and I find Windows XP totally unstable, and a giant step backwards from Windows 98.................... :angry:

Jeffro (Jeff)

This is the wrong thread to continue the discussion, but if you haven't already, you need to do install the latest batch of updates. There are approximately 3.12 jillion patches that need to be installed. Once that happens, XP runs acceptably well, i.e. no better than NT used to. <_<

I dig XP. My machine under XP is rock solid, and I've had every OS on there at one point or another. that has been my experience with customer's machines too. 98SE was good, but XP kicks it's ass...IMHO :)

- Gabe