Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can I add a internal HD on my mac?

steel1212

I'm running out of room and I want to get a External HD for all my pictures and vids and what not but I also want more internal HD space. I currently only have 250 gig and would like something like 500 or 1T? Oh my Imac is a iMac8,1 model.

Edited by steel1212

That don't look to bad. Now the question is, how hard is it to completely back up my hard drive that is in it now so all I have to do is plug in the new hard drive and download everything back on it?

DAMN! You need a computer room raised floor tile lifter to take apart an iMac?! There's no way I'd ever try that procedure. They said not user serviceable; they're right! My advice, just get a big honking G-Drive (http://g-technology.com/products/g-drive.cfm) or some similar firewire-connected external (usb isn't fast enough), plug that into your firewire port and move stuff over there.

Working on an iMac can be a pain in the butt but it isn't too bad if you take your time and keep track of all the little screws. We had a bunch at work we had to tear into to disable the speakers. We didn't have any suction cups around to get the glass off. One of my guys found some dude on the internet recommending packing tape. I was a bit skeptical but it worked out pretty well. Since then I've seen videos of people using plungers to take them off. Too funny.

I never thought of the mute button :P

These computers were going out in a very large computer lab to be used by undergrad college students. We disable any built in speakers so it doesn't sound like, well, like a hundred college students listening to 100 different songs at max volume. We tried a couple of different utilities that claimed they could disable the external speakers while leaving the headphone jack operational but none were 100% so out came the suction cups.

Carbon Copy Cloner is a great tool. Mike Bombich wrote it many years ago along with a few other utilities to help image OS X. We used his stuff a lot in the earlier days of OS X for imaging our labs.