Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington 1100 for beginners

Agusta

Not trying to trash the 1100 but why when some newbie asks about a shotgun to buy at least half the responses are "buy an 1100". While a beautiful gun and at one time 50 years ago when it took over from the 11-48 it was the peak of technology it has since been surpassed by guns from every maker including Remington themselves. I've owned them and when they shoot they are a fine shooting gun but have been the most maintenance intensive and finicky on shells of any autoloader i've owned. I wouldn't begrudge anyone owning one but as a recommendation to someone as a first shotgun just what exactly besides a relatively low price makes them worth having as a first time gun? I'm looking for the positives over a Beretta, Benelli, Mossberg, Browning or Remington's own Versa Max... If cost is the only issue the 870 in my mind would be a much better choice.

Those I have seen need the mag tube wiped clean but that is about it. It takes approximately a min to do so. They just point pretty well for most shooters and the felt recoil is less than alot of other guns. I have seen other guns to be far more picky with ammo than the 1100. Had a couple that will shoot down to a 7/8 oz load. I don't see many of the benelli guns doing that

The low price point also makes it less money out to see if you like the game sport etc. Same reason you see alot of people starting USPSA with a glock, MP, basic SS etc to see how they like it and get their feet wet and see where they want to go from there. You down see many walking out and popping down the 4k for a custom built open gun and several hundred for the mags to go with it to see if they like it.

I wouldn't begrudge anyone owning one but as a recommendation to someone as a first shotgun just what exactly besides a relatively low price makes them worth having as a first time gun?

Many people feel they "balance" well for a target gun, soft shooting and easy availability of barrels, stocks, parts, etc.

Available in all four gauges.

Looks nice: polished blued steel, wood stocks...like the "old days"! :D

For clay targets, lighter loads, it's still a good choice IMO. "Light hunting" is fine too. Pick up a 28 gauge 1100 sometime....sweet.

For everything else, the 1100 is behind the "curve"...no question.

Depends where you ask for an answer. If you asked on Shotgunworld (sporting clays shooters) you'd get more than half saying get a 391 answer.

No I not advocating just saying it depends who you ask, the phase of the moon, and factors unknown.

• 2 months later...

I recently picked up a Remington 1100 in 12ga simply to shoot those 2 gun matches our IPSC101 match has. I found those matches to be rather fun. My cost is $275 and some BBQ for my gunsmith to check out the gun and make any recommendations. It's a low cost entry point to see if I'm going to like the shotgun sport. I like the abundance of parts and knowledgable people available to work on them if necessary. Already have two modifications I want done to it. Guess I'm heading down that slippery slope again.

Remington 1100's fit most people, have soft recoil and if you pay attention and learn how to take care of them are reliable, parts are cheap and available, easy to repair yourself if needed, and you can buy one pretty cheap.

The basics of keeping an 1100 running are to run the mag tube wet, rem oil spray, breakfree spray, something light, I pull the forearm and wet mine down before shooting, after the match pull the forearm back off and everything will wipe off easily spray it down again before you put it up. Keep the inside of the magazine tube clean and with a good spring, use a metal follower, the stock sheet steel one is fine, plastic versions tend to stick and bind in the tube. If you have an extended tube hold the gun upside down and without the clamps make sure the tube is running straight with the barrel, I've seen a surprising number of mag tubes running crooked. Make sure the action spring and tube in the buttstock are in good shape free of rust and lubed and clean. When you have the trigger group out try not to let the hammer fall as it can bend the carrier latch and cause feeding problems, check the pins in the trigger group. This is the high points of what I have learned. Sounds like a lot but it's not much different than making sure your 1911 is ready for a match.

There is just about everything you could ever need to know about 1100's complied in this pdf. 1100 Notes

• 6 months later...

agree with everyone.

1100 is cheap (beretta and perazzi's are not), actually points and swings nice (870 does not), is soft shooting (neither 870 nor O/U are).

There are lots that were built just for target shooting... still a good target gun after all these years. I would prefer to shoot that over my A400 xtreme for skeet (not that I do).

just my opinion.

I used to shoot quite of bit of action shotgun stuff. I have never found a 12-ga. 1100 that held up to heavy use. I have also never found a bad 11-87. The differences are fairly subtle, but I do believe that Remington took the known problems with the 1100 and did a great job of fixing them when they re-engineered the design into the 11-87.

Maybe this is just my personal anecdotal experience, but I know what I've seen.

Yes, you cant go wrong with a 1100/1187 Remington. Before we were banned from having them for IPSC, my 1187 was the most reliable, sweetest to shoot of all the different guns going around. it had beautiful balance( with or without 13 rounds in the tube), and would just feed anytype of cartridges ( factory 1 & 1 1/8oz shot, homeload 1 1/8 oz, and 1 oz slugs)all day. An occasional cleaning was all it ever needed.

My wife bought me a 1100 Competition Master for 3-gun. I wouldn't let that gun go for anything. I love the way it shoots. The only drawback is the recoil pad got soft or something and when I put it in the gun-case it stuck to the foam inside. I am told they would replace the recoil pad but haven't persued the issue. Anyone got any insight on this?

My wife bought me a 1100 Competition Master for 3-gun. I wouldn't let that gun go for anything. I love the way it shoots. The only drawback is the recoil pad got soft or something and when I put it in the gun-case it stuck to the foam inside. I am told they would replace the recoil pad but haven't persued the issue. Anyone got any insight on this?

I have 2 Remington 700 rifles with synthetic stocks that stick to the carpet floor in my safe. I figured it is softening up from me getting gunspray on the rubber. Its a pain, dust and fluff stick as well. Also interested as to weather a replacement Rem recoil pad may be forrthcoming .

• 8 months later...

Not to nit pick but it went 11-48, 11-58, THEN 1100.... The 1100 is a classic design and they are still as functional today as they were when they came out in the 1963! They are soft shooting, you can find parts / barrels / stocks anywhere and they point very well. They have their issues ("O" rings as an example) but those issues are very well known and very easy to overcome. There are a ton of them on the market and you can usually find a clean one for $350 - $400 bucks. That is a great deal for the money!

Are modern designs better? I would say that they are but that does not in any way diminish the greatness that is the Remington 1100. Just because it's an older design doesn't mean it isn't any good... After all, a lot of people on this forum shoot 1911's... Last time I checked that design is a lot older than the 1100 ;)

Edited by S391